Check your account email address ×

Ooni pizza ovens

Neighbor down at the marina got one from his kids and had a little pizza party for a bunch of us last noght.  I’m sold.  Friggin awesome pizza.  1 minute and its done.  Anyone have one?  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DriftBusta said:

Neighbor down at the marina got one from his kids and had a little pizza party for a bunch of us last noght.  I’m sold.  Friggin awesome pizza.  1 minute and its done.  Anyone have one?  

There’s a load of em for sale on FB Marketplace.

Yes. Dual fuel.  The wood option is dumb as fuck, but the oven killer.  Once above 700f or so the wood adds nothing flavor wise and is a super pain.  If you do things other than pizza at a lower temp it can be useful but I wouldn't do it if you are choosing.  In my case I wanted a tall enough one to bake bread which meant dual fuel only.  

GE makes a built in for your house inside that does the same thing.  Contemplating that for our remodel.

2 minutes ago, stealth bomber said:

My sister has the 12” Ooni that uses wood or propane.  She used it to feed about 10 of us and it was fantastic.  She used propane that day because it was quicker but says they prefer wood when it’s just themselves 

What does she prefer about the wood?

I would also get the 16".  My brother has a 12" as does my neighbor and it means you need to make twice as many pizzas to feed the same crowd.  The larger doesn't really use that much more fuel and is also way easier to rotate the pizzas inside which you need to do a lot.

• Like 1

Just now, steve from amherst said:

I would rather eat the microwave dish

Boston pizza sucks 

we went to a new Houston’s pizza in Regina a bit ago. Just because we needed to eat and it was there 

I mean it was expensive but I have to say that was some damn good pizza 

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 hour ago, Deephaven said:

I would also get the 16".  My brother has a 12" as does my neighbor and it means you need to make twice as many pizzas to feed the same crowd.  The larger doesn't really use that much more fuel and is also way easier to rotate the pizzas inside which you need to do a lot.

I'm guessing the the flavor it adds and how the dry heat adds to the texture of the crust rather than burning liquid propane 

12 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

00 dough recipes.  

Pizza Dough from grocery store does not work well.

My wifes mother used to own a pizza shop years ago in Old Orchard Beach.  She's got the dough thing down to a science.  We'd done a lot of pizzas on the grill, but I'd never had one of these pizza oven deals.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

My wifes mother used to own a pizza shop years ago in Old Orchard Beach.  She's got the dough thing down to a science.  We'd done a lot of pizzas on the grill, but I'd never had one of these pizza oven deals.

It was the wife's birthday present. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rigid1 said:

I'm guessing the the flavor it adds and how the dry heat adds to the texture of the crust rather than burning liquid propane 

At 900f and 60-90 sec cook time, there is no smoke flavour added to the pizza. Biggest concern is wet pellet/wood creating soot. Have had pizza out of both, no difference at all...except propane way easier.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Deephaven said:

They never elaborated on why they liked the wood better.  Could just be the placebo effect.  I agree for the amount of time the pizza is in there that the wood is very unlikely to affect the flavour.  Myself I was totally fine with the propane and that’s probably what I would use for the sake of simplicity.  Definitely the16” would be the way to go, especially for a family.  

4 hours ago, Rigid1 said:

It adds zero flavor.  Everything is combusted at that temp.

3 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Nothing beats wood, but propane is easy.

What about wood do you prefer?  The work?  The cleanup?  The fact you have to constantly load it?

3 hours ago, joe_zrt said:

What are you using for dough? Recipes?

Glad to post one if you want.  How much playing with dough experience do you have?  Don't want to put something up that will just make you swear...

2 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

It adds zero flavor.  Everything is combusted at that temp.

What about wood do you prefer?  The work?  The cleanup?  The fact you have to constantly load it?

Glad to post one if you want.  How much playing with dough experience do you have?  Don't want to put something up that will just make you swear...

The 00 recipe seems easy enough

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1016230-robertas-pizza-dough