Check your account email address ×

French Election/Gay Granola Kayak Thread

2 hours ago, snowstorm said:

almost everyone around here buys from hamliton marine. i had a garmin on my other boat. it was ok at best. accurate it was not. this boat i have a furno . way better. its plotter sounder radar and weather fax. one big advantage is being able to over lay the radar on the plotter. a lot of the lobster fishermen use hondex. said they were simple and tuff. claimed they were made by honda . 

https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/bpo/6122891582.html

What do you guys think about this setup?

51 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/bpo/6122891582.html

What do you guys think about this setup?

that looks a lot like mine. navnet is what i have but a bigger screen also have one on the fly bridge. should be a flex gate compass with it. i would say its the black box below the small screen. looks like they cut the cable from the gps ant. there will be a map card. is it for the area you want? if its in good working order the price isnt bad. new would be 3 to 4 times that. furno is commercial grade and you can get them fixed if need be. do you need radar or just want it? here when the fog roils in it nice to have 

2 minutes ago, snowstorm said:

that looks a lot like mine. navnet is what i have but a bigger screen also have one on the fly bridge. should be a flex gate compass with it. i would say its the black box below the small screen. looks like they cut the cable from the gps ant. there will be a map card. is it for the area you want? if its in good working order the price isnt bad. new would be 3 to 4 times that. furno is commercial grade and you can get them fixed if need be. do you need radar or just want it? here when the fog roils in it nice to have 

I'm thinking we'll probably need it once in a while, not often, but often enough to justify it. 

We're probably going to stick to the northern great lakes and the inland waterway in the lower. Not sure what map cards that unit comes with.

9 hours ago, DriftBusta said:

Yeah I understand the maintenance can be a mother effer on them.  Just keeping the wood in good shape alone has got to be a ton of hours every year.

my sil works for hinckley. i believe he said the maintenance agreement to take care of the bright work and service the jet drive was 10k per year on a picnic boat  

remember just like GPS you cant always believe what you are looking at . few yrs back a bud died when they were on the river on way home from a night of dinner and drinking he was passed out on back seat other bud was driving with new nav system with  some overlay map of aria right in to a fucking cliff. bud in back seat flew about 12 feet in to dash and was killed instantly . no one else even drew blood .

being in maine we can have plenty of fog. a couple yrs ago we were coming back when the fog came in. couldnt see 150 ft. i was heading west and a sail boat race going south. had 35 targets on radar. thats when its really nice to have. now if it would only pick up lobster pots. mine in imboard and i have a rope cutter on the shaft. there are lobster pots every where

how dose the rope cutter work? When I was a kid I spent summers in AK a lot of it on old mans gill net  salmon boat . I know it was beyond a pain when the net got in to both screws . dry suit scuba gear all in some not bad but not great weather.  

3 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

how dose the rope cutter work? When I was a kid I spent summers in AK a lot of it on old mans gill net  salmon boat . I know it was beyond a pain when the net got in to both screws . dry suit scuba gear all in some not bad but not great weather.  

there are also called spurs. mounted on the shaft forward of the prop. 2 pieces 1 spins with the shaft its sharp . pot warp is 3/8" it will cut that ok. havnt needed it yet. a lot of the lobster boats have a cadge around the prop 

I assume a lot of the larger gillnet boats are caging props now also . I have not done any of that shit since the mid 80s . I could have EZ walked in to that life but wanted nothing to do with it as soon as I had a option to not go fishing . in hind site not a bad gig but no regrets . the old man never saved a dime but that license he got with a old wood trawler in the 70s for south of ten g was a real nice retirement package . lol he bought it to get out of the body shop a few weeks every summer as a hobby and never got out loved it.  it was real cool at times and scary as shit others.  

• Gold Member
5 hours ago, snowstorm said:

i complained to the garmin factory rep about mine being off. he said they take the imfo off paper charts and it may be off a little when going from 1 chart to the next. my furno is spot on

You using vector or raster charts?

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Ez ryder said:

well that will get you about 5 mi

4 hours ago, motonoggin said:

Cart folds up, fits good in the van.

IMG_20170608_215159298.jpg

Nice Dan.  That is a pretty slick set up.  Boating is going to be fun.  Enjoy. 

• Like 1

i use a 5gal bucket with a hose in bottem just Small enough To fit in gas Hole. then i can just take cap off can and set Thèm in bucket and walk away .also have a t in Line off bucket with hose atached To bucket for venting . hell i still have not hot m'y Boat in thé lake.  i did get bumpers on Dock 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ez ryder said:

i use a 5gal bucket with a hose in bottem just Small enough To fit in gas Hole. then i can just take cap off can and set Thèm in bucket and walk away .also have a t in Line off bucket with hose atached To bucket for venting . hell i still have not hot m'y Boat in thé lake.  i did get bumpers on Dock 

I got a 1" shaker siphon. Should work slick. 

We kayaked down the Kaswitna river yesterday. About a 10 mile run. River is high and the water is moving pretty good at about 6mph.  Biggest swells were about 18-24". Enough to get your attention in a kayak. 

22 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

We kayaked down the Kaswitna river yesterday. About a 10 mile run. River is high and the water is moving pretty good at about 6mph.  Biggest swells were about 18-24". Enough to get your attention in a kayak. 

not if you are a white water god in your own mind like revkevhiv  

Edited by Ez ryder