Check your account email address ×

What's up with that Ohio train derailment

40 minutes ago, Jerry 976 said:

The one video I posted shows what looks like a fire or sparks about 30 minutes before the derailment, possibly one or more wheel bearings failed and then all hell let loose. 

your video shows a covered hopper car throwing the sparks, not a tank car, and there is absolutely no way that was 20 miles away, they have "hot box" and "dragging" equipment detectors every 5 miles along the way it would have been detected long before the derailment site, I have our local mainline on my scanner and can hear the reports from them

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 01mxz800 said:

your video shows a covered hopper car throwing the sparks, not a tank car, and there is absolutely no way that was 20 miles away, they have "hot box" and "dragging" equipment detectors every 5 miles along the way it would have been detected long before the derailment site, I have our local mainline on my scanner and can hear the reports from them

I live about and hour and a half south and east of where that happened Pittsburgh Pa. I can only go by the info provided by the local tv stations and info on the net. That video footage was captured 45 to 50 minutes west of east Palestine, so that's 45 to 50 minutes before the train derailed. The NTSB is looking into why and what happened to the safety devices along the tracks that are suppose to notify the engineer and the rail company something is wrong with the train. Just like everything else we now wait on the NTSB to figure this out and provide a report. The NTSB claims they located and have the wheel(s) from the car that was sparking or on fire and sent it out for testing.

16 minutes ago, Jerry 976 said:

I live about and hour and a half south and east of where that happened Pittsburgh Pa. I can only go by the info provided by the local tv stations and info on the net. That video footage was captured 45 to 50 minutes west of east Palestine, so that's 45 to 50 minutes before the train derailed. The NTSB is looking into why and what happened to the safety devices along the tracks that are suppose to notify the engineer and the rail company something is wrong with the train. Just like everything else we now wait on the NTSB to figure this out and provide a report. The NTSB claims they located and have the wheel(s) from the car that was sparking or on fire and sent it out for testing.

is that a busy mainline or some secondary track, length of train looked like a local, if it was road freight of 100+ cars mess could have been worse 

1 minute ago, 01mxz800 said:

is that a busy mainline or some secondary track, length of train looked like a local, if it was road freight of 100+ cars mess could have been worse 

my buddy checks trains. he has for over 30 years. he has awards for catching dangerous cars. all he does though is watch and listen. he can pick out sounds that lead to issues but can't check everything. the train is moving. that is his only job . 

5 minutes ago, 01mxz800 said:

That I don't know for sure I think they said around 150 cars about 50 cars derailed?? Some info says about 20 minutes before the derailment the video was captured some say longer??

https://www.axios.com/2023/02/13/what-we-know-about-ohio-train-derailment

1676323388772.jpg?w=1920

22 minutes ago, Jerry 976 said:

Unrelated but a little over a year ago....

that was either a turbo failure or the dynamic brake grid short, or carbon build up in exhaust, we have had flame thr owers go through our town, usually they burn themselves out but this seems to have blown oil out inside the car body, GE locomotive are known for that

26 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Trump reversed Obama's safety laws.

no laws or regulations on the transportation of hazardous materials were removed or changed, shows just how little you know about the subject, if any regulations were changed it was to allow the railroads to be more competitive with other land based transportation methods

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 01mxz800 said:

no laws or regulations on the transportation of hazardous materials were removed or changed, shows just how little you know about the subject, if any regulations were changed it was to allow the railroads to be more competitive with other land based transportation methods

MC. :owned:  again.  :lol: