Check your account email address ×

What's up with that Ohio train derailment

• Platinum Contributing Member
6 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

JFC…why?

We already allow Canada’s trash to fill landfills here like crazy. Guess they want toxic shit now too SMH 

Nice work Gretchen 

Edited by Skidooski
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

We already allow Canada trash to fill landfills like crazy. Guess they want toxic shit now too SMH 

Nice work Gretchen 

I just did some quick searching and reading and it appears there are others to blame not to mention we export various forms of waste to Canada.

Then-Gov. John Engler's administration, via the Michigan Strategic Fund, used state taxes to underwrite at least $122 million in tax-free bonds to fund major landfill expansion in the state, Garfield said.

"They allowed so many permits to be issued for new, unneeded landfills in Michigan, we still — in 2018 — have a dramatic oversupply of landfill space," he said.

Gov.Snyder tried…..

If Michigan took no further action to expand landfills, its existing facilities, at current solid waste volume rates, have about 25 years of remaining capacity statewide, according to the DEQ's most recent solid waste annual report.

"It's very cheap to dispose of in Michigan," said Christina Miller, the DEQ's Solid Waste Planning, Reporting and Surcharge Coordinator.

"We have quite a few years of capacity available here in the state. So it's a demand situation. We have space, so they are able to dispose of the waste cheaper here."

That leads to low gate or tipping fees charged by the landfills — often no longer run by local companies or municipalities, but instead now by giant national and international corporations such as Houston-based Waste Management and Phoenix-based Republic Services.

"The fees landfills charge to haulers are artificially low," Garfield said. "That makes us the magnet for trash all over the region."

Then there's the state-charged cost of admission for that imported trash. Michigan's solid waste surcharge, at about 36 cents per ton, is the lowest in the Great Lakes region, Miller said. Gov. Rick Snyder proposed late last month significantly raising the fee to $4.75 per ton — what the State of Ohio charges — to help fund cleanups of state toxic waste sites.

Edited by Jimmy Snacks

13 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

We already allow Canada’s trash to fill landfills here like crazy. Guess they want toxic shit now too SMH 

Nice work Gretchen 

40 years Repugs had at least one branch of state government.  Did the pact start last month? 

11 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

I just did some quick searching and reading and it appears there are others to blame not to mention we export various forms of waste to Canada.

Then-Gov. John Engler's administration, via the Michigan Strategic Fund, used state taxes to underwrite at least $122 million in tax-free bonds to fund major landfill expansion in the state, Garfield said.

"They allowed so many permits to be issued for new, unneeded landfills in Michigan, we still — in 2018 — have a dramatic oversupply of landfill space," he said.

Gov.Snyder tried…..

If Michigan took no further action to expand landfills, its existing facilities, at current solid waste volume rates, have about 25 years of remaining capacity statewide, according to the DEQ's most recent solid waste annual report.

"It's very cheap to dispose of in Michigan," said Christina Miller, the DEQ's Solid Waste Planning, Reporting and Surcharge Coordinator.

"We have quite a few years of capacity available here in the state. So it's a demand situation. We have space, so they are able to dispose of the waste cheaper here."

That leads to low gate or tipping fees charged by the landfills — often no longer run by local companies or municipalities, but instead now by giant national and international corporations such as Houston-based Waste Management and Phoenix-based Republic Services.

"The fees landfills charge to haulers are artificially low," Garfield said. "That makes us the magnet for trash all over the region."

Then there's the state-charged cost of admission for that imported trash. Michigan's solid waste surcharge, at about 36 cents per ton, is the lowest in the Great Lakes region, Miller said. Gov. Rick Snyder proposed late last month significantly raising the fee to $4.75 per ton — what the State of Ohio charges — to help fund cleanups of state toxic waste sites.

"It's very cheap to dispose of in Michigan,"  :bashhead:

1 minute ago, SnowRider said:

Why did the Repugs let this happen? 

Give me a few days and I'll go ask them. I'll take a quick trip to Lansing just for you buddy. Should I ask the Dems to or are you only interested in the Republicans?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Skidooski said:

Give me a few days and I'll go ask them. I'll take a quick trip to Lansing just for you buddy. Should I ask the Dems to or are you only interested in the Republicans?

You sure seem to defend Repugs a lot for someone who claims to bitch about both sides :lol:  

12 minutes ago, SnowRider said:

40 years Repugs had at least one branch of state government.  Did the pact start last month? 

26 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

Nice work Gretchen 

:dunno:

2 minutes ago, SnowRider said:

You sure seem to defend Repugs a lot for someone who claims to bitch about both sides :lol:  

You're an idiot dude. Try and craft your own narrative on someone else  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

You're an idiot dude. Try and craft your own narrative on someone else  

Just now, Sleepr2 said:

So oblivious. :lol:

Look Dumbski - you have Otis running to defend you now :lol: