Check your account email address ×

New Tech From Cat 2024

• Platinum Contributing Member
3 minutes ago, f7ben said:

You said it’s making 4lbs of boost at all times. You’re a fucking retard 

Your heads making 4lbs of boost!!!!

• Haha 1

On 2/13/2023 at 4:57 PM, Bontz said:

Is that the gadget that our buddy, Mr. Ramstad, was so giddy about?  How he could move that from his sled to his ATV or whatever?  Too bad they still look to be using the 1970's PONG gauge.

So like the system doo was putting in there sxs in 2014 . Lol 

I get Ben's argument and that description but the fact remains the sled has a turbo so it was the first factory 2s sled to utilize one.   Doo wins this debate.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Steve753 said:

It's adds 4lbs no matter the elevation.

This is absolutely correct.  It adds at least 4 lbs of dead weight to the sled at all altitudes making it slower below 8000' where it finally becomes turbocharged.  Seriously stupid "tech" but at least 4 lbs.

10 hours ago, Steve753 said:

Your heads making 4lbs of boost!!!!

This is also correct.

The rest of Steve's arguments on the boost though not so much.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

This is absolutely correct.  It adds at least 4 lbs of dead weight to the sled at all altitudes making it slower below 8000' where it finally becomes turbocharged.  Seriously stupid "tech" but at least 4 lbs.

This is also correct.

The rest of Steve's arguments on the boost though not so much.

Its technically adding "boost" at 1' above sea level.   At 1000' elevation (which I'm almost at in Eastern Iowa) its adding 3%.

3% of 165 is 5 HP.   So every 1000' of elevation its adding approximately 5 HP.   Sure BRP went about this with reliability in mind but for mountain sleds but it was a game changer.  Ride it in the UP or at 9000' in Breccia Cliffs and you basically have the same power. 

Edited by Highmark

I’m going to insert myself into this debate, no matter how ill-advised that might be, just to ask a question:

A turbo doesn’t turn on and off, you can’t adjust boost on the turbo.  Correct?  It’s the wastegate that adjusts boost, kind of like a voltage regulator keeps voltage constant, even when the stator is outputting far more voltage than what the sled needs.  Am I understanding turbocharging correctly?

If that’s correct, is the Doo turbo wastegate always keeping the boost at 4 lbs?   Or, is the turbo is always putting out 4 lbs, and the wastegate adjusts up to that, depending on elevation?

I missed the part where someone explained it, and apologize if it was upstream in this thread.

Edited by p51mstg

1 hour ago, Highmark said:

I get Ben's argument and that description but the fact remains the sled has a turbo so it was the first factory 2s sled to utilize one.   Doo wins this debate.

You are rite! The doo has one of those spinny things on it. 

20 minutes ago, p51mstg said:

I’m going to insert myself into this debate, no matter how ill-advised that might be, just to ask a question:

A turbo doesn’t turn on and off, you can’t adjust boost on the turbo.  Correct?  It’s the wastegate that adjusts boost, kind of like a voltage regulator keeps voltage constant, even when the stator is outputting far more voltage than what the sled needs.  Am I understanding turbocharging correctly?

If that’s correct, is the Doo turbo wastegate always keeping the boost at 4 lbs?   Or, is the turbo is always putting out 4 lbs, and the wastegate adjusts up to that, depending on elevation?

I missed the part where someone explained it, and apologize if it was upstream in this thread.

Wastegate controls flow into the turbo.  1:40 mark. 

1 hour ago, p51mstg said:

The turbo is made to spin by exhaust gas flow , the wastegate just diverts that exhaust gas around the turbo or close and exhaust goes through it which is controlling the shaft speed. A turbo with the wastegate open makes zero positive pressure as it’s not spinning fast enough. 

Edited by f7ben
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Anler said:

So to summarize this thread, cat's new tech is a Garmin gps? Once again leading innovation!

Where have you been?  How dare you stay on topic!  We need to add Greta Thunberg to the emoji list for times like these.

Besides the Garmin GPS, they also moved the key switch to the fuel tank area, next to a now standard RCA jack for heated shields/goggles.

I believe the 2023 Doo Turbo's start at 180 HP at sea level so they are turbocharging at sea level.

Previously you had 165 all the way to 8000 then maintained 40 HP over stock.

Now you have 180 all the way to 8000 then maintain 55 hp over stock.

The Rotax 850 E-TEC Turbo R is the most powerful 2-stroke turbo engine ever from the factory. With 180 heart-pounding horsepower, perfectly calibrated for full power up to 8000' and a 55-HP advantage as you climb.

Edited by Highmark
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, f7ben said:

The turbo is made to spin by exhaust gas flow , the wastegate just diverts that exhaust gas around the turbo or close and exhaust goes through it which is controlling the shaft speed. A turbo with the wastegate open makes zero positive pressure as it’s not spinning fast enough. 

I should look at that video, but I think I get it now - the wastegate is upstream from the turbo and controls how fast the turbo spins.  Correct?  That would make sense.  

So, that means the Doo turbo does provide 4 lbs of boost at all times, regardless of how much exhaust is available to spin the turbo.  Right?

I can see why you'd want a flatland turbo to act that way.  But, for the mountains, I'd think you'd want a "turbo normalized" approach, where more boost is added as you get higher.  That's how I thought the Doo turbo worked when it was introduced.

4 minutes ago, Highmark said:

I believe the 2023 Doo Turbo's start at 180 HP at sea level so they are turbocharging at sea level.

The Rotax 850 E-TEC Turbo R is the most powerful 2-stroke turbo engine ever from the factory. With 180 heart-pounding horsepower, perfectly calibrated for full power up to 8000' and a 55-HP advantage as you climb.

Sorry for being behind the curve on the turbos, I just haven't been paying attention (obviously).

2 minutes ago, p51mstg said:

I should look at that video, but I think I get it now - the wastegate is upstream from the turbo and controls how fast the turbo spins.  Correct?  That would make sense.  

So, that means the Doo turbo does provide 4 lbs of boost at all times, regardless of how much exhaust is available to spin the turbo.  Right?

I can see why you'd want a flatland turbo to act that way.  But, for the mountains, I'd think you'd want a "turbo normalized" approach, where more boost is added as you get higher.  That's how I thought the Doo turbo worked when it was introduced.

It has to add boost the higher you get to maintain sea level HP.  Even after 8000 ft boost levels incrementally increase.    Boost levels are not constant but in 2023 they are just boosting earlier and more all the way up thru elevation. 

Edited by Highmark

2 minutes ago, Highmark said:

It has to add boost the higher you get to maintain sea level HP.  Even after 8000 ft boost levels incrementally increase.    Boost levels are not constant but in 2023 they are just boosting earlier and more all the way up thru elevation. 

I think I got it now.  Not well enough to explain it to someone else, but enough to stop me from thinking up any more questions.

7 minutes ago, p51mstg said:

No , you apparently don’t understand :lol: with the wastegate open it makes 0 lbs of boost. 

4 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

Kinda what I said last night. :thumbsup:

Or nothing like you said 

12 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Is that new for 2023? It would have to be making 1.5lbs at sea level and about 5.5 at 8000’ now

13 minutes ago, Highmark said:

1 minute ago, f7ben said:

Or nothing like you said 

Ya it is.