Check your account email address ×

2 Fatalities In Vilas County

Unfortunately this has been an ongoing issue for a long time. Granted there were more sleds back then but the 1990's were far worse, 20 - 30+ deaths in some of those years. I've mentioned this in another thread that of all the sled fatalities in WI from last year and this year, the vast majority are 40 or older and obviously most involve alcohol.

There is a reason I wear a Tekvest and a reason we've been riding the places less traveled. 

Mostly no northern WI, no UP, no Norf Shore, etc.

Too many close calls the last 2-3 years.  Put a helmet on and forget how to behave like a normal human.  

When the buffoons' on MN Snowmobilers ask where to go, I always tell them Brainerd and the Norf shore.  Always.

16 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Damn…

2465A356-068E-4BB8-B1D4-99A0ED849B97.thumb.png.2b35b5eb4dcdd8e8402a56fa80330a2c.png

Very sad to hear.:sad:

16 hours ago, Kivalo said:

As a community we are our own worst enemy.  Sad.

This!!! I'm starting to feel that if you walk in a bar with a helmet and suit on, no sale on booze. It's becoming too comfortable for some and yes I was very guilty in the past too.

15 hours ago, XCR1250 said:

Had a sledder killed here last week, missed a turn and hit a tree, trail 15.

Just sad:sad: 

15 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

There is a reason I wear a Tekvest and a reason we've been riding the places less traveled. 

Mostly no northern WI, no UP, no Norf Shore, etc.

Too many close calls the last 2-3 years.  Put a helmet on and forget how to behave like a normal human.  

When the buffoons' on MN Snowmobilers ask where to go, I always tell them Brainerd and the Norf shore.  Always.

Me too :bc: I love to ride mid week midday and 100% on the tekvest. I feel naked without it, like riding without a helmet.

15 hours ago, Badger** said:

Unforgettable.  

50872889999.jpg

Very sad but why would someone take a pic when there is people laying dead?

I'm sure the families wouldn't appreciate the scene being posted, seems morbid.

10 minutes ago, HSR said:

This!!! I'm starting to feel that if you walk in a bar with a helmet and suit on, no sale on booze. It's becoming too comfortable for some and yes I was very guilty in the past too.

Me too :bc: I love to ride mid week midday and 100% on the tekvest. I feel naked without it, like riding without a helmet.

I have two former riding buddies who'd be dead if not for Tek Vests.  And mine saved me some broken ribs or worse before too.  It's a necessary piece of equipment IMO.

As for photographing the scene, I think it's a good photo and reminder.  He didn't post an image of any human bodies.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HSR said:

Am I missing where the bodies are?

2 hours ago, Voodoo said:

Am I missing where the bodies are?

No I'm just not one to stop and think of taking a picture of a fatality site to share online. That's just me though. Carry on.

17 hours ago, Badger** said:

Unforgettable.  

50872889999.jpg

Honest question, Where did you get that picture from???

That picture looks a like a pic posted on HCS years ago by SmokinShift600cfi (Kyle) when his dad was killed in a head on accident at night on Indian Lake in New York??? I'm Not saying it's the same Picture but reminded me about Kyle's father getting killed and the person who hit his dad head on and the assholes riding with the other guy who died taking off. Kyle stayed on the ice with his deceased father and the other person while his wife rode to shore for help. I'm trying to find in this thread and the other thread in the general snowmobile forum on here where it says the accident left two people dead on the ice???? Do you happen to have any links or info to go with your picture above???

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Doug said:

Have almost 3000 miles on this year and only rode one Saturday. That was one Saturday to many.  Fast and slow riders doing stupid things.

Tuesday, coming down from Copper Harbor back through Houghton, that main trail was a HIGHWAY.  Thankfully it's just a straight stretch with no real wooded/curves sections, because some of the oncoming traffic was just STUPID.  Cold weather = snow dust hanging in the air and guys were buzzing by doing, what seemed like 75mph+ and missing the left sides of our sleds by a couple inches.  Some real brainiacs out there.  That was just Tuesday .. can't even imagine what it would have been like on a weekend.

• Confused 1

A helicopter was paged Thursday to the scene of a snowmobile crash, the second in a 90-minute span in Vilas County.

Initial scanner reports suggest two people were injured in the head-on crash, with two sleds involved. The crash was reported at about noon on Thursday near Snipe Lake in St. Germain. Two people were reported unconscious at the scene with CPR in progress as rescue crews arrived. A landing zone was being established as of 12:13 p.m. with a medical helicopter en route.

The crash is the second of two on Thursday in Vilas County. The first crash was reported at about 10:45 a.m. on a trail at Fred Luke Road in Plum Lake. One person, a male, was injured in the crash. The extent of his injuries is not yet clear.

• Sad 1

Rescue crews have been paged Thursday to the scene of a snowmobile crash involving two sleds, according to emergency scanner traffic.

The crash was reported at about 3:52 p.m. on a trail of of Trail 17 near Chewalla Lake. Initial reports suggest both sleds are engulfed in flames. At least one person is injured, but the extent of those injuries is not yet clear.

This is the second serious northwoods snowmobile crash reported on Thursday. Earlier, two people were injured, one traumatically, in a crash in Vilas County.

• Sad 1

I just put this on a Wisconsin Snowmobile facebook page.  We'll see what type of responses it gets

The deaths we’re seeing so far are very sad to the family, friends and the sport.   It’s very sad.  But there is other factors than speed and alcohol that play into unsafe conditions on the trails.

Sled maintenance.  How many have had somebody slide from the inside of the corner out to your side of the trails?  Everybody.  The operator has the skis turned as far as the can and the sled just slides in your lane.  When was the last time the runners were checked on their sleds?  Is there any left or are they worn down to the skis?  I work on sleds and it amazes me how much this is over looked and when you bring it up the owner they don’t want to spend $80.00 to keep a sled in control going around a corner.  Keeping a sled in control on the trail is upmost of safety.

Slower riding groups.  I think it’s great when you see families out for a nice ride.  Kids riding 2 up great to see.  When you notice a sled coming up behind you simple pull over in a safe spot and let them by.  Simple trail manners.  If you’re trying to keep them behind you chances are you putting yourself in a bad situation and riding over your head.  Just let them by.  For the leader of these groups when see a group of sleds that are behind your group when you stop at a stop sign let them by.  DON’T quick go and try to get your group to ride faster to stay ahead.  You’re now putting your whole group into a bad situation.  Motion for your group to pull over and let the quicker group go by. 

Edited by Doug
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Doug said:

I just put this on a Wisconsin Snowmobile facebook page.  We'll see what type of responses it gets

The deaths we’re seeing so far are very sad to the family, friends and the sport.   It’s very sad.  But there is other factors than speed and alcohol that play into unsafe conditions on the trails.

Sled maintenance.  How many have had somebody slide from the inside of the corner out to your side of the trails?  Everybody.  The operator has the skis turned as far as the can and the sled just slides in your lane.  When was the last time the runners were checked on their sleds?  Is there any left or are they worn down to the skis?  I work on sleds and it amazes me how much this is over looked and when you bring it up the owner they don’t want to spend $80.00 to keep a sled in control going around a corner.  Keeping a sled in control on the trail is upmost of safety.

Slower riding groups.  I think it’s great when you see families out for a nice ride.  Kids riding 2 up great to see.  When you notice a sled coming up behind you simple pull over in a safe spot and let them by.  Simple trail manners.  If you’re trying to keep them behind you chances are you putting yourself in a bad situation and riding over your head.  Just let them by.  For the leader of these groups when see a group of sleds that are behind your group when you stop at a stop sign let them by.  DON’T quick go and try to get your group to ride faster to stay ahead.  You’re now pitting your whole group into a bad situation.  Motions for your group to pull over and let the quicker group go by. 

If you haven't had a safety course please take one. If your new to snowmobiling take your time and ride at your own pace not everyone else pace. Practice riding in a safe place before you hit the trails for a lenghty ride as a newbie.... Lastly save the drinking till the ridings done for the day and the sleds are put away.  

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
17 hours ago, Roosting said:

There new sleds are so good now that 50-60 mph really dosent feel that fast untill you need to stop right now. 

Many new/unexperienced riders get caught out like this all the time. See it often. 

Bingo…a newbie buys a new 850 and doesn’t realize now quickly you can end up in the cabbage or worse.

• Like 1