Check your account email address ×

Anyone ever buy a rebuilt title vehicle?

1 hour ago, f7ben said:

Just looking at the pics from the damage will give me a good idea what to look at. I’ve fixed a few hard hits myself including straightening a frame so I’m not totally clueless. The body work should be pretty self explanatory. That damage pretty much looks like 100% panel replacements to me 

Yah they are nice rigs , this has an eco boost and I’ve had great luck with those. 

I have the 5.4

I wouldn't buy a vehicle with a tarnished title....  Will haunt you if it gets hit and totaled.

From what I've seen...  The max value is the whole sale book value.

???  If the insurance company totaled it, it was for financial reasons.... 

Would like to see the insurance appraisal  vs actual repairs.

Have never been asked about title when insuring car.... Issue would only appear in a total loss...  If they have electronic data they could value it low + total it again for 60 percent of wholesale.

If you buy it, inspect it well with a second persons objectivity

6 minutes ago, ICG said:

I wouldn't buy a vehicle with a tarnished title....  Will haunt you if it gets hit and totaled.

Have never been asked about title when insuring car.... Issue would only appear in a total loss...  If they have electronic data they could value it low + total it again for 60 percent of wholesale.

You are a fucking retard , everything you just said is completely what a know nothing 19 year old girl would type , please kill your self quickly 

What would worry me is bent axles, frames, and shoddy repair work. See these rebuilt vehicles all over FB Marketplace.  Don't think I'd buy one but if you pay $20k for it and it's worth $30k usually then that's a decent deal.  Would want to see the alignment sheet and have a good inspection done.

I agree, $60k for a new one especially to drive around in the salt 6 months a year is just dumb.

We are looking at Explorers for my wife, 3.5L Ecoboost, Sport model with a bunch of options is about that same price.

• Gold Member

Look that thing over good pull the piller trims If you have too to check inner structure. The shops that fix and resell these usually hack the shit out of them. I mean think about it they are buying them at auction and trying to fix them and sell for a profit. They got totaled because it cost to much to fix correctly so they cut corners somewhere guaranteed just how bad and what your willing to live with. Those inner b-pillers and rockers are high strength steel you can’t fix that shit unless you heat the hell out of it but that’s a big no no. I’d personally never buy one unless I fixed it myself.

8 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

Look that thing over good pull the piller trims If you have too to check inner structure. The shops that fix and resell these usually hack the shit out of them. I mean think about it they are buying them at auction and trying to fix them and sell for a profit. They got totaled because it cost to much to fix correctly so they cut corners somewhere guaranteed just how bad and what your willing to live with. Those inner b-pillers and rockers are high strength steel you can’t fix that shit unless you heat the hell out of it but that’s a big no no. I’d personally never buy one unless I fixed it myself.

They aren’t structural members though , it’s just cosmetic. If the doors line up and look right and it everything else looks ok then what’s the worst that could happen? Asking honestly 

• Gold Member
1 minute ago, f7ben said:

They aren’t structural members though , it’s just cosmetic. If the doors line up and look right and it everything else looks ok then what’s the worst that could happen? Asking honestly 

Inner panels are 100% structural. There are procedures on how much heat can or can’t go to hss it depends on the manufacture. I suggest looking over the repair procedures from ford on all the inner panels a-piller, b-piller, inner rockers because from that pic they definitely had damage and ask what they did and confirm by looking for yourself it should be fairly easy to see with interior trim off. That takes 2mins to pop off and check yourself. Everything in cars these days has something to do with air bag timing and how it takes a impact. You can’t just heat the fucker up and bend it back like in the old days air bags won’t deploy correctly, panels become brittle or won’t crumple how they’re supposed too in a accident. It’s all up to you though what you’re willing to be ok with I personally wouldn’t give a shit for a car for myself but my wife and kids not a fucking chance it’s correct or they aren’t getting in it.

Don't look like a bad hit.  Probably got the B-pillar and would be most concerned with the door fitup and sealing as far as the vehicle.  Worked with a guy that does a couple of builders per year.  Asked him what happens with financing or insurance on one with a salvage title.  He said financing they normally will not fully finance off of full value and take about 60% of the value.  For insurance that depends on the company.  Some will have no problem but again will not insure it at retail value others will shy away and not want to insure it.  

A builder is good for someone that's going to keep it for the long run and drive it basically into the ground.  If your only going to drive it for a couple years and sell it the salvage title will come back and bite you.

Edited by Doug
  • Like 1

My son bought a salvage title out of Alabama . Same type of hit. Trunk lid,tail lights and a bumper cover. It had 70k on it. It went to the junk yard with well north of 200k. It was a great car and never had anything but maintenance done to it.  If you are going to mile up a vehicle and keep it for a long time. Resale isn’t worth talking about. If it’s has the state inspection sticker, I don’t see it being a problem getting full coverage. I know someone that buys totals and fixes them. The ones he can’t get a state sticker for,get sold to Indians . I guess you don’t need the state inspection sticker for tribal plates?  He mostly does work trucks .

9 hours ago, 800renegaderider said:

Inner panels are 100% structural. There are procedures on how much heat can or can’t go to hss it depends on the manufacture. I suggest looking over the repair procedures from ford on all the inner panels a-piller, b-piller, inner rockers because from that pic they definitely had damage and ask what they did and confirm by looking for yourself it should be fairly easy to see with interior trim off. That takes 2mins to pop off and check yourself. Everything in cars these days has something to do with air bag timing and how it takes a impact. You can’t just heat the fucker up and bend it back like in the old days air bags won’t deploy correctly, panels become brittle or won’t crumple how they’re supposed too in a accident. It’s all up to you though what you’re willing to be ok with I personally wouldn’t give a shit for a car for myself but my wife and kids not a fucking chance it’s correct or they aren’t getting in it.

Arent those panels available as replacement. I mean they are cut out and replaced by any competent shop right?

• Gold Member
9 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Arent those panels available as replacement. I mean they are cut out and replaced by any competent shop right?

Yup, you can buy any of those panels new. I’m not trying to scare you all I’m saying is make sure it’s done correctly you can easily see in there and tell if it has new metal or it’s been heated and hammered out and if not done correctly it can potentially cause issue in another accident. You just gotta be cautious at shops that do salvage rebuilds like this they aren’t going to repair it exactly how the insurance or repair procedures call for they’d have more in it than they can sell it for. They cut corners somewhere to make a profit you just want to make sure it wasn’t on major safety things. Here is a basic chart I found online it shows you can’t even cold repair uhss steel for example. All inner structure on that car will be some form of high strength steel. That’s all I’m saying look up procedures, ask how they fixed it, confirm by their pics or actually take some trim off and look.

1D45EBC7-44EC-4677-804F-246B65609F9C.jpeg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ICG said:

The VIN would expose the insurance company to its title status.

19 minutes ago, Cold War said:

:lol:
people doling out advice and they don’t have clue what they’re talking about.  

Bought, fixed, sold, drove, wrecked, insured, hundreds of these  vehicles. 

Never had an issue with the two I owned. Both were inspected and a rebuilt title was issued. I saved thousands. There's a lot cars out there that should've been written off, but weren't. I do understand that newer cars are built with crumple zones and engineered as a unit. Crash worthiness can be compromised. The solution is just don't hit anything or let anything hit you. 

2 hours ago, awful knawful said:

My 09 ram was bought wrecked. It hit a moose. I rebuilt it myself. No issues with insurance or SNB.

IMG_0542_zps879230be.jpg

IMG_0715_zpsde49efae.jpg

IMG_0837_zps63d29d27.jpg

IMG_0841_zps67e229b6.jpg

The guy I worked with was a big dodge guy and has done similar builders.

Looks nice

26 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Never had an issue with the two I owned. Both were inspected and a rebuilt title was issued. I saved thousands. There's a lot cars out there that should've been written off, but weren't. I do understand that newer cars are built with crumple zones and engineered as a unit. Crash worthiness can be compromised. The solution is just don't hit anything or let anything hit you. 

Inspected usually means nothing.  A police officer who knows nothing, just making sure you can legally account for the parts that are on it. You pay me to inspect it and I ll tell you if the vehicle is repaired properly.  Every car is different  and every state is different.  Because a vehicle was totaled doesn’t mean the vehicle is beyond repair or shouldn’t be repaired.  I just posted a story the other day.  Guy needed a sun roof and the shop was fucking him around so the insurance company was going to buy him out.  Car with broken sun roof no longer safe to drive?  

My son just wrecked his Nissan. They took $2,000 off value of suv and he still profited $ 3,500. Couldn’t come to a deal with insurance company or I would of bought it back again and fixed it.  

my advice if you’re going to buy a repaired vehicle. Pay someone who knows what they are looking at and what they are talking about. 

1 minute ago, Cold War said:

Inspected usually means nothing.  A police officer who knows nothing, just making sure you can legally account for the parts that are on it. You pay me to inspect it and I ll tell you if the vehicle is repaired properly.  Every car is different  and every state is different.  Because a vehicle was totaled doesn’t mean the vehicle is beyond repair or shouldn’t be repaired.  I just posted a story the other day.  Guy needed a sun roof and the shop was fucking him around so the insurance company was going to buy him out.  Car with broken sun roof no longer safe to drive?  

My son just wrecked his Nissan. They took $2,000 off value of suv and he still profited $ 3,500. Couldn’t come to a deal with insurance company or I would of bought it back again and fixed it.  

my advice if you’re going to buy a repaired vehicle. Pay someone who knows what they are looking at and what they are talking about. 

Just looking at the pics of the damage on this expedition I think I would ha e just hammered the door skins out and drove the fucking thing another 100k miles lol , it’s didn’t even break any glass for fuck sakes. 

@f7ben - living in MN, I know the pain of the mandatory insurance ... ain't it great?!?!  :wall:

Anyway, we just went through this in July.  We picked up a salvaged 2013 Malibu for my daughter, which a friend of ours had rebuilt for his wife several years ago.  He gave us a helluva good deal on it, and insurance (State Fraud ... er, State Farm) had no problem putting full coverage on it as long as we provided pictures of the repaired vehicle.  As far as we're concerned, it's like any other vehicle at this point & should be covered.

1 minute ago, Anler said:

You do you but I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. You get what you pay for is a lesson I don't need to learn again. 

It will be fine 

Just now, Bontz said:

@f7ben - living in MN, I know the pain of the mandatory insurance ... ain't it great?!?!  :wall:

Anyway, we just went through this in July.  We picked up a salvaged 2013 Malibu for my daughter, which a friend of ours had rebuilt for his wife several years ago.  He gave us a helluva good deal on it, and insurance (State Fraud ... er, State Farm) had no problem putting full coverage on it as long as we provided pictures of the repaired vehicle.  As far as we're concerned, it's like any other vehicle at this point & should be covered.

I don’t expect insurance to value it 100% but who knows ...I’m fine with however it works out as long as JT can be insured to the point the bank is satisfied 

• Gold Member
10 minutes ago, Cold War said:

Same here trooper just looks at parts receipts make sure nothing is stolen pretty much.

That’s all I was saying look it over good with someone that knows what they’re talking about as we both know being in the industry stuff gets hacked bad sometimes 😂. I mean hell we were just showing off our hacker finds in another thread the other day.