Check your account email address ×

Classic car price crash.

• Platinum Contributing Member
8 hours ago, X2700 said:

Have couple buddies that bring 4-6 trucks to Barrett Jackson Scottsdale and make some decent money yet.

old c-10’s and broncos mostly.

they also do mecum couple times.

Used to do muscle cars but prices to even get into complete junk is crazy!!

I was about to say, the cars maybe softening but the truck market has gotten strong the last 10 years. 15 years ago, it was rare to see a truck cross the block at Barrett-Jackson but now there are tons of trucks.

I'd like to pick up a 78-79 Bronco but they are out of reach for me now. Should have bought 10 years ago when you could still grab a nice one for around $10k.

8 hours ago, mnstang said:

They don't just set those prices over sticker for no reason.  It's because demand is high and supply is low and people are lining up to pay those prices over sticker.  If things change with demand, prices will too.  The prices are just a reaction the market, not the other way around.

I'm fine with it myself, but eventually you are going to have a lot of hurt feelings and lost customers over it.

• Gold Member
1 hour ago, J. Jackson said:

Local guy has a 2003 ZO6 black on black with 3000 miles. Wants 35k. Has heads up and all the rest of the options. Original owner.

Prob get it with those miles. 

They go for $30gs around here still. 

F2BE3C24-26A5-477F-B60A-3106C11F8C3C.jpeg

Edited by EvilBird

• Gold Member
2 minutes ago, poopooforme said:

Have a good buddy, actually was the guy that painted my Monte, that calls corvettes the belly button car.  Everybody has one......

Vettes and Mustang GTs are everywhere for sure. Most "Mid life crisis" Guys go for one or the other. 

If you build the motor and do wheels , maybe some paint work etc they stand out from the 99% bone stock ones I see everyday so Im ok with that. 

But I use to like that about my WS6 Trans Am. id see maybe 1 other one at a car show and 25 C5 Vettes and 25 mustangs 

1 hour ago, racinfarmer said:

I'm fine with it myself, but eventually you are going to have a lot of hurt feelings and lost customers over it.

Maybe.  People are stupid.  Nobody is twisting anyone's arm to buy those cars.  Just like this college debt nonsense.  Yes it's overpriced and a waste for most people, so don't buy it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, awful knawful said:

I've got my mustang insured through hagerty. I get a magazine every couple months.

Always articles of which vehicles are appreciating or depreciating. It's an ongoing cycle of supply/ demand.

8 hours ago, Pete said:

My Nova is insured through Hagerty 

Is there really much difference with Hagerty Insurance?.....one of my Vipers is a garage queen that I only drive once or twice a year but is still kinda costly to keep insured with my regular insurance.

6 minutes ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

Is there really much difference with Hagerty Insurance?.....one of my Vipers is a garage queen that I only drive once or twice a year but is still kinda costly to keep insured with my regular insurance.

Hagerty was great when they first started. I switched out with an estimated value to my regular insurance and it was way cheaper. I will say as a preferred shop Hagerty is way easier to deal with when it comes to your classic/specialty car if you ever need it repaired than say a State Farm.  Probably makes it worth it. 

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, EvilBird said:

Vettes and Mustang GTs are everywhere for sure. Most "Mid life crisis" Guys go for one or the other. 

If you build the motor and do wheels , maybe some paint work etc they stand out from the 99% bone stock ones I see everyday so Im ok with that. 

But I use to like that about my WS6 Trans Am. id see maybe 1 other one at a car show and 25 C5 Vettes and 25 mustangs 

Good point.  I've generally preferred driving something that no one else was driving.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

I was having a hard time getting it insured. Hagerty was very easy to deal with and the price is right. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I was about to say, the cars maybe softening but the truck market has gotten strong the last 10 years. 15 years ago, it was rare to see a truck cross the block at Barrett-Jackson but now there are tons of trucks.

I'd like to pick up a 78-79 Bronco but they are out of reach for me now. Should have bought 10 years ago when you could still grab a nice one for around $10k.

Did someone say 78 bronco? My son still has mine as his summer daily driver.

Photo_6553802_DJI_202_jpg_4038784_0_202241118360_photo_original.jpg

• Like 7

• Gold Member
9 hours ago, EvilBird said:

Some young guys sure ....but really depends on the type of Car. 

I go to the Import Car shows and I see tons of Young Kids. 

I blame the parents more TBH. I have talked to a bunch of young Kids that love my Prelude and 90% of the time I hear "My Dad/Mom wont let me build a Car" ....

I was lucky at 15 my Dad got me a rusty 84 El Camino to build. Then my Uncle gave me a 1985 RX7 . They passed the torch . Lots of faggot Prius Dads not doing that today 

Yup all the younger kids seem to be into cars with horrible camber issues and exhausts that sound like gun shots:lol:. I don’t get that trend but it’s still hot rodding just different. I still see a few kids with muscle cars though out there. I’m doing my part to keep the tradition alive having my kids help work on old cars or anything with a engine I gotta screw with really. Even if they don’t get into it I think it’s still a good skill to teach them so they don’t have to pay people to fix their shit later in life.

To the value thing anything is going to drop in value as the guys who are old enough to remember wanting it new and now overpay for it die off. Then less people give a shit about those cars and prices come down. 80s cars seem to be going into that faze now with prices going up.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

Mine is like $240/ year. That's with roadside assistance ($80/year).

10 hours ago, Cold War said:

Hagerty was great when they first started. I switched out with an estimated value to my regular insurance and it was way cheaper. I will say as a preferred shop Hagerty is way easier to deal with when it comes to your classic/specialty car if you ever need it repaired than say a State Farm.  Probably makes it worth it. 

Things must be a lot different where you are. In Ontario, it would be tough to get liability insurance for much under $1000.

Hagerty full coverage for both my trucks is under $400 for the pair.

My sleds are over $400 each for just libility.

9 hours ago, Big Crappie said:

Did someone say 78 bronco? My son still has mine as his summer daily driver.

Photo_6553802_DJI_202_jpg_4038784_0_202241118360_photo_original.jpg

Love it. Let me know when you want to sell. It would fit right in here.

A70C3ACE-1DE8-4850-A236-7991140DF4ED.thumb.jpeg.c399725dc0471cbe40befcb64bea54b6.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

Things must be a lot different where you are. In Ontario, it would be tough to get liability insurance for much under $1000.

Hagerty full coverage for both my trucks is under $400 for the pair.

My sleds are over $400 each for just libility.

We pay the highest rates in the country.  I think the difference was Hagerty required you to keep full coverage all year and I could switch to storage with my regular insurance when I wasn’t driving car. They are a far better company to deal with when it comes to a classic.  Most companies can’t write a decent estimate on a regular car. 

Edited by Cold War

1 hour ago, awful knawful said:

Mine is like $240/ year. That's with roadside assistance ($80/year).

I will have to look into Hagerty....not that it matters cuz I don't drive it much but are you limited in the mileage that you can put on? Im paying over 1k full coverage for a car that just sits. That's also what I pay each for my daily drivers which is fairly reasonable for around here.

1 minute ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

I will have to look into Hagerty....not that it matters cuz I don't drive it much but are you limited in the mileage that you can put on? Im paying over 1k full coverage for a car that just sits. That's also what I pay each for my daily drivers which is fairly reasonable for around here.

$300 a year for my nova