Check your account email address ×

Are you better off now than 2 years ago?

Pete

Just now, Rigid1 said:

That would be nice too, I think I'd always still cut grass, it's an enjoyable side hustle, good cash, and I get a stellar tan..I'm just not someone who can really relax and chill out for days on end but nothing wrong with someone who can and chooses to

We usually chill, after getting up around 8 or so, long enough to suck up a couple cups of coffee and wake the fuck up, then get on with our day, whatever it is. No days on end here... :lol:

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
Just now, Snake said:

I was not even referring to me. My wife had been in the public sector all that time. Part time at a Veteran's home when she was 16 years old, and worked her way up over the next 4 decades. We are not even drawing her military pension at this point.

I have problems with a lot of what the public sector has to offer, starting with her inability over 4 years to get a piece of driftwood fired, but couldn't due to 'rules'.

Again, don't jump on all the people who work there as a rule. I have seen a  lot over the years....

Why would you not do that? Do you only get a military pension for a certain amount of time? Like for 10 years and then it stops?

Just now, Rigid1 said:

Why would you not do that? Do you only get a military pension for a certain amount of time? Like for 10 years and then it stops?

When you retire from the Guard or the Reserves, you have to wait till you are 60 for it to start. Not like a 20 year regular Army gig.... and rightly so.

Best part is our healthcare will be $650 a year...

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Rigid1 said:

Does one get more if it's deferred?  Otherwise you can invest that and be further ahead.

Just now, Snake said:

When you retire from the Guard or the Reserves, you have to wait till you are 60 for it to start. Not like a 20 year regular Army gig.... and rightly so.

Best part is our healthcare will be $650 a year...

Gotcha, learn something new every day.

And the bold, that's awesome, good for you two!

1 minute ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Does one get more if it's deferred?  Otherwise you can invest that and be further ahead.

1 more tidbit...

When you reach the time to get out, with enough years, you can be transferred to the Retired Reserve or to the, for lack of a better term, Active Retired Reserve. Being in the RR, your base for a pension ends at the date you retire, period. With the ARR, you are retired but subject to call up... the benefit to that being you get all the accrued pay raises from the time of retirement till you draw. For my wife, that has been 15 years worth so far.

4 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

Gotcha, learn something new every day.

And the bold, that's awesome, good for you two!

It's not a deal where you have to go to a VA for it... it is administered by Martin's Point and is no different than a regular health plan.

No deductibles with the $650 plan...

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Snake said:

We usually chill, after getting up around 8 or so, long enough to suck up a couple cups of coffee and wake the fuck up, then get on with our day, whatever it is. No days on end here... :lol:

I get the coffee maker ready every night and we usually get up around 7am, drink 2 cups each and play on our phones for a couple hours. I dropped into a friends place for a couple hours and get a text that today is a pontoon day. I can handle that and some wobblies and a swim. We are never in a rush lol

5 minutes ago, smokin george said:

I get the coffee maker ready every night and we usually get up around 7am, drink 2 cups each and play on our phones for a couple hours. I dropped into a friends place for a couple hours and get a text that today is a pontoon day. I can handle that and some wobblies and a swim. We are never in a rush lol

Soon as I get a shower done, the grand daughter will be here, then I will ready The General for a day of riding tomorrow. No other plans....

Too long to back read, but if you’re still alive and in decent health you should be happy.  Lost a LOT of good people in the last two years .  At a memorial today.  Count your blessings.  If you have your health you are doing alright. Nothing really means shit without it. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Cold War said:

Too long to back read, but if you’re still alive and in decent health you should be happy.  Lost a LOT of good people in the last two years .  At a memorial today.  Count your blessings.  If you have your health you are doing alright. Nothing really means shit without it. 

Amen to that.

35 minutes ago, Cold War said:

Spot on........good health is wealth. 

My wife and have friends( Phil and Noelle) who we visited at their cottage in northern WI a couple weeks ago. Phil has a glioblastoma brain tumor and I was shocked at his condition when we visited. He's 54 and he's trying to hang on for his son's wedding in September, I hope he makes it. They're multi millionaires and I'm sure he'd give up every penny to have his health back.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Why would someone rip a guy for his retirement plan…sounds to me like both Moe and Spin have it pretty damn good.😎👊🏻

I can answer this, they rip someone when they don't have anything themselves. They could have made better decisions but by the time you are into your fifty's it's to late and are now waking up to this. 

I see people working into their 70's these days and that's just sad.

Edited by Doomxz600

32 minutes ago, snoughnut said:

Spot on........good health is wealth. 

My wife and have friends( Phil and Noelle) who we visited at their cottage in northern WI a couple weeks ago. Phil has a glioblastoma brain tumor and I was shocked at his condition when we visited. He's 54 and he's trying to hang on for his son's wedding in September, I hope he makes it. They're multi millionaires and I'm sure he'd give up every penny to have his health back.

sad to hear. Way too young. 
Crazy with all these young guys getting cancer.  At a memorial for a friend we did travel softball with.  Our daughters played together for years, 

52 years old and the cancer ate him up in 6 months. 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Why would someone rip a guy for his retirement plan…sounds to me like both Moe and Spin have it pretty damn good.😎👊🏻

I agree, it's just the path they chose in life, good for them. But in the same breath someone should not be degraded for choosing a different path..

• Like 2

Just now, Rigid1 said:

I agree, it's just the path they chose in life, good for them. But in the same breath someone should not be degraded for choosing a different path..

Agreed.👊🏻👌🏻

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Badger** said:

I honestly don't know if I want to ever retire, I'm having fun doing what I love. 

I went through a period after retiring where I worked. I eventually got more interested in not working. :lol: 

I consider it a natural transition. 

12 minutes ago, Cold War said:

sad to hear. Way too young. 
Crazy with all these young guys getting cancer.  At a memorial for a friend we did travel softball with.  Our daughters played together for years, 

52 years old and the cancer ate him up in 6 months. 

Once you hit 60 you’re a ticking time bomb. This is why early retirement is a good idea. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, racer254 said:

Relying on the public sector because you can't make it on your own should be a goal of everyone.  Right?

You haven’t a clue what working in public health is all about. Yet here you are, running your mouth. I’d love to see you manage a situation where a family brings their suicidal 15yo daughter in on a crisis following being gang raped the week before. You’d shit your fucking pants. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1