Check your account email address ×

Going Solar to save the Environment

One 200w solar panel produces .8 kWh daily. 

here’s the average for power company generation. Do the math for over a 25 year run. 

• Coal–0.90 kWh/pound
  • Natural gas–0.14 kWh/cubic foot
  • Petroleum liquids–12.86 kWh/gallon
  • Petroleum coke–1.25 kWh/pound

10 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

No I never said they did, I just pointed out not everything is the same everywhere,  I'm also not trying to push people into my life style and justifying it to myself ...:whistle:

It's almost as creepy as trying to sell someone to being gay...

• Gold Member
18 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

More big oil propaganda. What the article fails to mention is how many tons of coal or units of natural gas a panel replaces in its 25 year life cycle. 

25 years is the warranty..  they still produce power after that 25 years.  

• Gold Member
7 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

Easy two feet of snow where I lived outside of Boise, ID and Ogden, UT before that

Ya.  The panels shed it easy.  My roof this year the panels were clean while the  rest of the roof took awhile to clean up.  In our mountain country such as McCall there is a lot of metal roofs to shed the snow.  They are pretty clean of snow most of the time.

• Platinum Contributing Member
30 minutes ago, airflite1 said:

I think solar farms are a waste, rooftop I'm interested in doing.

I like roof top also, I'd like to see these farms they are cutting down woodland to build be put on roof tops, lots of flat warehouse roofs in my area, but like I said, snow comes into play 6 months a year

1 minute ago, Rigid1 said:

I like roof top also, I'd like to see these farms they are cutting down woodland to build be put on roof tops, lots of flat warehouse roofs in my area, but like I said, snow comes into play 6 months a year

The earth is warming, soon there won't be any snow!!! They're planning ahead!!!!

6 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Ya.  The panels shed it easy.  My roof this year the panels were clean while the  rest of the roof took awhile to clean up.  In our mountain country such as McCall there is a lot of metal roofs to shed the snow.  They are pretty clean of snow most of the time.

I hated shoveling the roof of the A Frame I lived in  Mancelona, MI

That lake effect snow gets heavy and sticky. Total opposite of snow in Utah 

• Thanks 1

• Gold Member
2 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

I hated shoveling the roof of the A Frame I lived in  Mancelona, MI

That lake effect snow gets heavy and sticky. Total opposite of snow in Utah 

Metal roof?

• Gold Member
8 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

On large flat roofs they typically mount panels at south facing angle in snow country.  Shed snow just fine in snow country

F9500817-6052-425D-AD10-D8F4A1C23A11.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

The earth is warming, soon there won't be any snow!!! They're planning ahead!!!!

I think you're right? Gore just missed it by a few years is all. :lol:

Gore.jpg

Just now, irv said:

I think you're right? Gore just missed it by a few years is all. :lol:

Gore.jpg

:lol:

Typical weatherman, always wrong!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BOHICA said:

On large flat roofs they typically mount panels at south facing angle in snow country.  Shed snow just fine in snow country

F9500817-6052-425D-AD10-D8F4A1C23A11.jpeg

Ours are off the ground/roof about 4-5 foot so the snow won't pile up and block the panel..That's a piss poor design for snow country, get a few feet of snow in a day and half that panel would be covered..Who ever designed that for snow country is an idiot, I think you could even see that...

3 hours ago, airflite1 said:

I think solar farms are a waste, rooftop I'm interested in doing.

I sorta agree.  Solar farms are basically industrial solar facilities that take up a lot of land.

Every dang building in the world already needs a roof.  Most of the roofing material we use is already landfill crap in 20-30 years.  Just make the roof material solar.  Heck, if they could figure out a method to rework the stuff, it would be even better.

We have family that lives in an area that builds homes a little differently.  Part of their building schematic includes conduit and open runs that go right to the roof.  Putting solar on top is pretty damn easy.  One interesting aspect of their systems is the type of solar they use.  The colder environment homes use water panels as the primary source of heating and PV as supplement power.  The homes don't have AC and heating is the largest draw, so they use water as direct source.  It is more efficient without converting solar to electric and then back to heating.  It also helps keep the big corporate power players out of their pockets with every ounce of energy in the home.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, favoritos said:

I sorta agree.  Solar farms are basically industrial solar facilities that take up a lot of land.

Every dang building in the world already needs a roof.  Most of the roofing material we use is already landfill crap in 20-30 years.  Just make the roof material solar.  Heck, if they could figure out a method to rework the stuff, it would be even better.

We have family that lives in an area that builds homes a little differently.  Part of their building schematic includes conduit and open runs that go right to the roof.  Putting solar on top is pretty damn easy.  One interesting aspect of their systems is the type of solar they use.  The colder environment homes use water panels as the primary source of heating and PV as supplement power.  The homes don't have AC and heating is the largest draw, so they use water as direct source.  It is more efficient without converting solar to electric and then back to heating.  It also helps keep the big corporate power players out of their pockets with every ounce of energy in the home.

Yup, they built this facility to power an apartment complex, the solar farm is 3x the size of the complex and can only provide 40-60% of it's usage, this was a beautiful wooded area that people hunted on, hiked on, snowmobiled on, and ATV on up the street from my house,..now it's clear cut, fenced in, and not usable for anything but solar.. SMH 

IMG_20220717_125520158.jpg

IMG_20220717_135422862.jpg

IMG_20220717_135619355.jpg

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

Yup, they built this facility to power an apartment complex, the solar farm is 3x the size of the complex and can only provide 40-60% of it's usage, this was a beautiful wooded area that people hunted on, hiked on, snowmobiled on, and ATV on up the street from my house,..now it's clear cut, fenced in, and not usable for anything but solar.. SMH 

IMG_20220717_125520158.jpg

IMG_20220717_135422862.jpg

IMG_20220717_135619355.jpg

Weird. Wisconsin uses out of commission farmland for wind farms. There’s a lot of it. 

Just now, spin_dry said:

Weird. Wisconsin uses out of commission farmland for wind farms. There’s a lot of it. 

Our farmers grow crops

1 minute ago, Woodtick said:

Out of commission farm land? What the fuck is that? These cultist just make shit up as they go along. :lol:

Well it's Spinner, so kinda on par..:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

Our farmers grow crops

4500 acres were unused by farmers in Dane county. The farmers contracted with a Chicago energy firm for solar farms. Now they get to enjoy their retirement. It’s a growing trend in Wisconsin. Same with leasing land for wind turbines. I’ve never heard if cutting down a forest to put up a wind farm when there’s so much cleared land already available. Just sounds counterproductive. Cuts into margins. 

Edited by spin_dry