Check your account email address ×

Going Solar to save the Environment

I don't have a problem with people wanting to use solar, or wind, or what ever kind of energy generation you want.  Free market baby!  Energy = Freedom - so don't take away the energy I am using today is my take.

But what is the end game?  HOW is this going to "save the environment"?  What is that metrics that are going to be used for measuring?  What are the excuses going to be if the Climate is still changing??

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, racer254 said:

The generation of electricity through nuclear power plants in the United States cost 30.41 U.S. dollars per megawatt hour.

What does solar or onshore wind cost to generate?

The levelized cost of energy (LCOE) from nuclear power rose from around $117/MWh in 2015 to $155 at the end of last year, according to the latest edition of the World Nuclear Industry Status Report, published annually by French nuclear consultant Mycle Schneider.

By contrast, the LCOE from solar power decreased from $65/MWh to approximately $49 and that of wind from $55 to $41.

https://www.pv-magazine.com/2020/09/24/nuclear-power-is-now-the-most-expensive-form-of-generation-except-for-gas-peaking-plants/

1 minute ago, Mag6240 said:

I don't have a problem with people wanting to use solar, or wind, or what ever kind of energy generation you want.  Free market baby!  Energy = Freedom - so don't take away the energy I am using today is my take.

But what is the end game?  HOW is this going to "save the environment"?  What is that metrics that are going to be used for measuring?  What are the excuses going to be if the Climate is still changing??

I don't have a problem with it either.  I just think the whole premise of solar and wind being a way to "save the environment" is just another scam.  I am strictly for a way to produce electricity for the best ROI.  Cheap energy drives the middle and lower class of this nation. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mag6240 said:

What’s intriguing about solar and wind is it uses the basic forces in nature converted into usable energy sources. I’m surprised that more effort hasn’t been made to harness tidal forces. That’s like the power of atomic bombs going off daily. 

Edited by spin_dry

• Gold Member

• Gold Member
1 minute ago, spin_dry said:

What’s intriguing about solar and wind is it uses the basic forces in nature converted into usable energy sources. I’m surprised that more effort hasn’t been made to harness tidal forces. That’s like the power of atomic bombs going off daily. 

No fuel expenses which makes up the lions share of the cost of traditional generation sources.  Cost zero to fuel solar or wind once they are built.

Just now, BOHICA said:

No fuel expenses which makes up the lions share of the cost of traditional generation sources.  Cost zero to fuel solar or wind once they are built.

Wait a second, you do know there is a pretty regular maintenance schedule for those big wind turbines right?

• Gold Member
4 minutes ago, Mag6240 said:

Wait a second, you do know there is a pretty regular maintenance schedule for those big wind turbines right?

While maintenance happens on wind as it does on all sources of generation, fuel costs and long term disposal cost for some fuels the fuel cost and disposal of that spent fuel for wind is $0.

Solar likely is the least maintenance intensive generation source.

Edited by BOHICA

No doubt solar most cost effective source but not sure I want every square inch of usable space taken up by solar panels!what will it take to replace current fuel power sources?just seems like we’re starting out backwards?

should of spent more on power grid first.

mid think California would be all over new nuke plant that would desalinate ocean water!!build it in desert!

Is there anyone here who actually believes, if EV's catch on, that their electricity bills/fees to charge are not going to become expensive??? 

Electricity rates, at least up here, currently, aren't that bad but if anyone doesn't think this is going to change, they are delusional. As far as I know, and most likely with you U.S. folks, these electricity companies are in the business of making money. Once they have people by the short and curly's, they will charge practically what they want.  :news:

1 hour ago, spin_dry said:

100% agreed.  They do have some devices to try to do that, but it sure seems like it has great potential.

• Gold Member
32 minutes ago, irv said:

Is there anyone here who actually believes, if EV's catch on, that their electricity bills/fees to charge are not going to become expensive??? 

Electricity rates, at least up here, currently, aren't that bad but if anyone doesn't think this is going to change, they are delusional. As far as I know, and most likely with you U.S. folks, these electricity companies are in the business of making money. Once they have people by the short and curly's, they will charge practically what they want.  :news:

Why not make your own electricity if it’s going to be expensive in the future for electricity?

32 minutes ago, irv said:

It’ll be a mixture of sources. EV and hybrid. The new Toyota Sienna has a pretty amazing drive system. I’ve heard of drivers getting 40mpg. That’s excellent for a full size minivan. BMW is heavily invested into hybrid as well.