Check your account email address ×

Say a prayer cancer sucks

• Platinum Contributing Member
2 hours ago, Turbo Kitty said:

My brothers second surgery is today to remove the other tumor, , then in a few days he goes for physical therapy for 2 weeks, then hopefully he can go home, hope for the best boys. 

Prayers for your brother. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Turbo Kitty said:

My brothers second surgery is today to remove the other tumor, , then in a few days he goes for physical therapy for 2 weeks, then hopefully he can go home, hope for the best boys. 

🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻
For your brother.

• 4 weeks later...

It’s been a rough go at it for my Brother, yesterday he had to get rushed to the hospital, he got sicker than hell, turns out the cancer is now spread into his story, it ate a hole in his small intestine, they did surgery, there’s so much in there if they can’t remove it all. I’m just waiting for the oncology team to confer, and it sounds like hospice is the next step, last Monday when we met with his doctor they gave him 6 months to live. Some heavy stuff going on. Lord give me strength to get through this. 

• Sad 9

16 minutes ago, Turbo Kitty said:

It’s been a rough go at it for my Brother, yesterday he had to get rushed to the hospital, he got sicker than hell, turns out the cancer is now spread into his story, it ate a hole in his small intestine, they did surgery, there’s so much in there if they can’t remove it all. I’m just waiting for the oncology team to confer, and it sounds like hospice is the next step, last Monday when we met with his doctor they gave him 6 months to live. Some heavy stuff going on. Lord give me strength to get through this. 

Damn - sorry TK, that's not the updates anyone wants to hear :sad: I wish your brother, and you & your family, nothing but the best in getting through this.  Continued thoughts to you all!

6 hours ago, Turbo Kitty said:

So sorry to hear.😔

• 1 month later...

My Brother lost his battle with AML last night.

As hard as it is to say, I'm glad his pain is over. He put up one heck of a battle.  I never saw him complain and the chemo stuff was brutal.  Multiple rounds and just couldn't get the blasts down for BMT.  I was a match through the initial screening and we had some hope.  For awhile, I felt like I could help.

What a horrible disease.  The ups and downs of treatments and hope eat everyone around.  We all tried and gave everything we could to help.  It was especially hard to see the pain in his family.  Mom and the kids rallied together for the fight.  They coalesced and bonded together with him through each phase.

There is another side of this horrible process and maybe we were lucky.  Toward the end, he was in a pretty good facility. (MAYO)  We had a similar experience in the first hospital.  The people involved in the care were extraordinary! (Wish I could find a better adjective.)  The nurses .  .  .  ,  It takes special people to go into work and do that every day.  I saw them hiding tears at times.  They had their hearts in the battle too.  It showed in their care.   It showed in the interaction and relationships that we formed. 

• Sad 8

3 minutes ago, favoritos said:

As hard as it is to say, I'm glad his pain is over. He put up one heck of a battle.  I never saw him complain and the chemo stuff was brutal.  Multiple rounds and just couldn't get the blasts down for BMT.  I was a match through the initial screening and we had some hope.  For awhile, I felt like I could help.

What a horrible disease.  The ups and downs of treatments and hope eat everyone around.  We all tried and gave everything we could to help.  It was especially hard to see the pain in his family.  Mom and the kids rallied together for the fight.  They coalesced and bonded together with him through each phase.

There is another side of this horrible process and maybe we were lucky.  Toward the end, he was in a pretty good facility. (MAYO)  We had a similar experience in the first hospital.  The people involved in the care were extraordinary! (Wish I could find a better adjective.)  The nurses .  .  .  ,  It takes special people to go into work and do that every day.  I saw them hiding tears at times.  They had their hearts in the battle too.  It showed in their care.   It showed in the interaction and relationships that we formed. 

Sorry to read the news on your brother's passing, @favoritos  Wishing your family and friends all the best in getting through this.

• Like 1

my mom and bro just went through it. we were amazed how they all told us something different. still not exactly sure what my mom had. we were told many things, including less than a year to live. then the guy who was to do the chemo saw i was not happy and took me in the hall. i asked why you would wreck the less than a year with chemo. he said well all they told you is wrong, and i can treat what she does have. and they did. left us all confused but she is still here. now on an immunotherapy drug that is 2000.00 a month but it has held her from getting worse. my bro had cancer in his bladder that they fixed, but he kept smoking and it came back. then they took all but 1 kidney. he kept smoking, got cancer in that kidney. had it removed weeks ago and is on dialysis forever. lost my dad to it as well as my last 3 golden retrievers and lots of friends. cancer sucks, and wrecks the whole family. my heart goes out to all of you who have had or dealt with that shit. and the expense, that is in a class by itself. sucks to see someone suffer like that, lose the battle, and we feel relieved . some say they are in a better place. to me right here with us is where they want to be

• Sad 3

26 minutes ago, sleepybrew said:

my mom and bro just went through it. we were amazed how they all told us something different. still not exactly sure what my mom had. we were told many things, including less than a year to live. then the guy who was to do the chemo saw i was not happy and took me in the hall. i asked why you would wreck the less than a year with chemo. he said well all they told you is wrong, and i can treat what she does have. and they did. left us all confused but she is still here. now on an immunotherapy drug that is 2000.00 a month but it has held her from getting worse. my bro had cancer in his bladder that they fixed, but he kept smoking and it came back. then they took all but 1 kidney. he kept smoking, got cancer in that kidney. had it removed weeks ago and is on dialysis forever. lost my dad to it as well as my last 3 golden retrievers and lots of friends. cancer sucks, and wrecks the whole family. my heart goes out to all of you who have had or dealt with that shit. and the expense, that is in a class by itself. sucks to see someone suffer like that, lose the battle, and we feel relieved . some say they are in a better place. to me right here with us is where they want to be

That phrase is something I have grown to stay away from.  It's okay to say they're no longer suffering, but to say they're in a better place simply isn't true.  The better place is here, with us, healthy.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Bontz said:

That phrase is something I have grown to stay away from.  It's okay to say they're no longer suffering, but to say they're in a better place simply isn't true.  The better place is here, with us, healthy.

you got it

1 hour ago, favoritos said:

Sorry to hear Favoritos.

You have my sympathy 

• Like 1

I'm sorry to hear the news, @favoritos

I'm sometimes disappointed with the bureaucracy at Mayo, but am never disappointed with the care I receive.  

When I was an EMT, we took a lot of patients there and the ER at St. Mary's is pretty impressive.  Have seen them go to work on people.  When someone needs the resources, they're there before you can say please.

@Turbo Kitty, @sleepybrew, I'm hoping everything works out well for both of you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry to hear that Favoritos , terrible , I am my brother’s care giver, he’s at my home, he’s in Hospice care, he’s in terrible shape, I’ll take care of him as long as I can, he don’t want nothing to do with assisted living, that will be the last resort, I just take it one day at a time. It’s amazing the fight he puts up, he wants to be independent, and he does a good job with that,

Edited by Turbo Kitty
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Turbo Kitty said:

Sorry to hear that, terrible , I am my brother’s care giver, he’s at my home, he’s in Hospice care, he’s in terrible shape, I’ll take care of him as long as I can, he don’t want nothing to do with assisted living, that will be the last resort, I just take it one day at a time. 

🙏🏻😔

2 hours ago, p51mstg said:

I'm sorry to hear the news, @favoritos

I'm sometimes disappointed with the bureaucracy at Mayo, but am never disappointed with the care I receive.  

When I was an EMT, we took a lot of patients there and the ER at St. Mary's is pretty impressive.  Have seen them go to work on people.  When someone needs the resources, they're there before you can say please.

@Turbo Kitty, @sleepybrew, I'm hoping everything works out well for both of you.

I was shipped to St Mary's in 96 with a crushed hand.  The locals figured they were my best shot if I was going to keep my fingers.  The care was pretty impressive.  Good enough, that I kinda forgot about that time.  I know, seems hard to believe, but that is a testament to my recovery.

Anyhow, when I was doing blood work for the donor match, they said you already have a patient number in our system.

Thanks everyone,

I share the thoughts about others too.  It is tough. 

@Turbo Kitty, You are a good one.  I hope the best with your brother.

Edited by favoritos
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You have my sympathy favoritos.  I've been with quite a few people on that journey and it's always a tough one.  It sounds like he had wonderful support which, in many ways, not only helped him, but those of you who were supporting him, and that's important too.  Take care.

Edited by soeaster
  • Like 1