Check your account email address ×

"Never have to worry about gas prices again"

1 minute ago, XCR1250 said:

Was a week or 2 ago on the News.

I’m also waiting to see what they actually bring to the market as far as full electric pickups. The Ford Hybrid gave a bit of sticker shock with MSRP of $71,000 and it only a hybrid…The next 2to 3 years will be very eye opening for pickups…if I can wait that long. Electric cars are here right now!  If it weren’t for long ass winter, the motorcycles I own would buffer the gas / diesel outlay. 

• Like 1

• Gold Member
57 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

Just asked a buddy if he knew, he thinks it's called a Lucid.

Lucid is a 6 figure sedan.  Definitely not half he price of a tesla.  Base model Lucid is around $80kish.

Edited by BOHICA

5 hours ago, hayward said:

What's a new Tesla cost?  I'm seeing these all over the area more and more in the last 4-6 months.  Evidently they have no trouble getting parts to build em is what i'm thinking.

I think the question should be "What is the monthly payment on a Tesla?"

11 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

I think the question should be "What is the monthly payment on a Tesla?"

The only way I would finance any auto these days is with zero percent financing. Otherwise I would buy outright. Cost for a Model3 Tesla base model is $34k

• Platinum Contributing Member
42 minutes ago, Phenom said:

The only way I would finance any auto these days is with zero percent financing. Otherwise I would buy outright. Cost for a Model3 Tesla base model is $34k

What EV would you suggest for a newly licensed 16 year old that costs between 3-5k and is AWD. Obviously don't want anything fast/quick. Something great in the snow (I live in a large city that gets the most annual snowfall in the country) preferably an SUV and is easy to perform maintenance on??

Oh and cheap full coverage insurance

Edited by Rigid1
  • Haha 1

• Gold Member
2 hours ago, Rigid1 said:

What EV would you suggest for a newly licensed 16 year old that costs between 3-5k and is AWD. Obviously don't want anything fast/quick. Something great in the snow (I live in a large city that gets the most annual snowfall in the country) preferably an SUV and is easy to perform maintenance on??

Oh and cheap full coverage insurance

Probably the citicar is what you’re looking for. Cheap classy electric……

• Platinum Contributing Member
4 hours ago, 800renegaderider said:

Probably the citicar is what you’re looking for. Cheap classy electric……

Yeahhhh, that's not going to work,..

Anyone of you greenies know of a vehicle that fits that criteria?? I mean we are supposed to go green and with millions of kids getting their first cars every year the out of touch reality Dems seem to think its easily affordable and safe for every American to purchase a 35+k performance car for a newly licensed 16/17 year old..

I mean WTF..So many people completely out of touch with reality and just want to brag about what they have and think everyone else should do.... SMH

Stellantis CEO says EV cost burden is 'beyond the limits' for automakers

•  

•  
118ca50c09acf0826c3e5f7e2e7e378c

FILE PHOTO: Carlos Tavares, Chief Executive Officer and Chairman of the Managing Board of PSA Group, attends the Tomorrow In Motion event on the eve of press day at the Paris Auto Show More
Joseph White
Wed, December 1, 2021, 6:05 AM

In this article:
  •  

• Carlos Tavares
    Portuguese businessman

By Joseph White

DETROIT (Reuters) - Stellantis NV Chief Executive Carlos Tavares said external pressure on automakers to accelerate the shift to electric vehicles potentially threatens jobs and vehicle quality as producers struggle to manage the higher costs of building EVs.

Governments and investors want car manufacturers to speed up the transition to electric vehicles, but the costs are "beyond the limits" of what the auto industry can sustain, Tavares said in an interview at the Reuters Next conference released Wednesday.

"What has been decided is to impose on the automotive industry electrification that brings 50% additional costs against a conventional vehicle," he said.

"There is no way we can transfer 50% of additional costs to the final consumer because most parts of the middle class will not be able to pay."

Automakers could charge higher prices and sell fewer cars, or accept lower profit margins, Tavares said. Those paths both lead to cutbacks. Union leaders in Europe https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/transition-electric-cars-threatens-60000-jobs-italy-fim-cisl-union-2021-11-19 and North America https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/united-auto-workers-presses-gm-ford-unionizing-battery-plants-2021-04-28 have warned tens of thousands of jobs could be lost.

Automakers need time for testing and ensuring that new technology will work, Tavares said. Pushing to speed that process up "is just going to be counter productive. It will lead to quality problems. It will lead to all sorts of problems," he said.

Tavares said Stellantis is aiming to avoid cuts by boosting productivity at a pace far faster than industry norm.

"Over the next five years we have to digest 10% productivity a year ... in an industry which is used to delivering 2 to 3% productivity" improvement, he said.

"The future will tell us who is going to be able to digest this, and who will fail," Tavares said. "We are putting the industry on the limits."

Electric vehicle costs are expected to fall, and analysts project that battery electric vehicles and combustion vehicles could reach cost parity during the second half of this decade.

Like other automakers that earn profits from combustion vehicles, Stellantis is under pressure from electric vehicle maker Tesla Inc and other pure electric vehicle startups such as Rivian.

The electric vehicle companies are far smaller in terms of vehicle sales and employment. But investors have given Tesla and Rivian higher market valuations than the owner of the Jeep SUV brand or the highly profitable Ram pickup truck franchise.

That investor pressure is compounded by government policies aimed at cutting greenhouse gas emissions. The European Union, California and other jurisdictions have set goals to end sales of combustion vehicles by 2035. The United Kingdom has set 2030 as the deadline for going all-electric.

Tavares said governments should shift the focus of climate policy toward cleaning up the energy sector and developing electric-vehicle charging infrastructure.

Stellantis, created in 2021 with the merger of French automaker Peugeot SA and Italian-American automaker Fiat Chrysler NV, is on track to deliver 5 billion euros in cost reduction through streamlining its operations, Tavares said.

Tavares has accelerated Stellantis' electric vehicle development, committing 30 billion euros through 2025 to developing new electric vehicle architectures, building battery plants and investing in raw materials and new technology.

On Tuesday, Stellantis said it had invested in solid-state battery startup Factorial alongside German automaker Daimler AG.

"We can invest more and go deeper in the value chain," Tavares said. "There may be other (investments) in the near future."

10 hours ago, Phenom said:

Even so, how many people just have $34k+ laying around to drop on any vehicle, Tesla or not?

One of my friends has a used car dealer.  I should ask him how many people buy outright vs. finance.  I'd imagine the new market is similar.  

• Gold Member
36 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

Stellantis CEO says EV cost burden is 'beyond the limits' for automakers

•  

•  
118ca50c09acf0826c3e5f7e2e7e378c

FILE PHOTO: Carlos Tavares, Chief Executive Officer and Chairman of the Managing Board of PSA Group, attends the Tomorrow In Motion event on the eve of press day at the Paris Auto Show More
Joseph White
Wed, December 1, 2021, 6:05 AM

In this article:
  •  

• Carlos Tavares
    Portuguese businessman

By Joseph White

DETROIT (Reuters) - Stellantis NV Chief Executive Carlos Tavares said external pressure on automakers to accelerate the shift to electric vehicles potentially threatens jobs and vehicle quality as producers struggle to manage the higher costs of building EVs.

Governments and investors want car manufacturers to speed up the transition to electric vehicles, but the costs are "beyond the limits" of what the auto industry can sustain, Tavares said in an interview at the Reuters Next conference released Wednesday.

"What has been decided is to impose on the automotive industry electrification that brings 50% additional costs against a conventional vehicle," he said.

"There is no way we can transfer 50% of additional costs to the final consumer because most parts of the middle class will not be able to pay."

Automakers could charge higher prices and sell fewer cars, or accept lower profit margins, Tavares said. Those paths both lead to cutbacks. Union leaders in Europe https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/transition-electric-cars-threatens-60000-jobs-italy-fim-cisl-union-2021-11-19 and North America https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/united-auto-workers-presses-gm-ford-unionizing-battery-plants-2021-04-28 have warned tens of thousands of jobs could be lost.

Automakers need time for testing and ensuring that new technology will work, Tavares said. Pushing to speed that process up "is just going to be counter productive. It will lead to quality problems. It will lead to all sorts of problems," he said.

Tavares said Stellantis is aiming to avoid cuts by boosting productivity at a pace far faster than industry norm.

"Over the next five years we have to digest 10% productivity a year ... in an industry which is used to delivering 2 to 3% productivity" improvement, he said.

"The future will tell us who is going to be able to digest this, and who will fail," Tavares said. "We are putting the industry on the limits."

Electric vehicle costs are expected to fall, and analysts project that battery electric vehicles and combustion vehicles could reach cost parity during the second half of this decade.

Like other automakers that earn profits from combustion vehicles, Stellantis is under pressure from electric vehicle maker Tesla Inc and other pure electric vehicle startups such as Rivian.

The electric vehicle companies are far smaller in terms of vehicle sales and employment. But investors have given Tesla and Rivian higher market valuations than the owner of the Jeep SUV brand or the highly profitable Ram pickup truck franchise.

That investor pressure is compounded by government policies aimed at cutting greenhouse gas emissions. The European Union, California and other jurisdictions have set goals to end sales of combustion vehicles by 2035. The United Kingdom has set 2030 as the deadline for going all-electric.

Tavares said governments should shift the focus of climate policy toward cleaning up the energy sector and developing electric-vehicle charging infrastructure.

Stellantis, created in 2021 with the merger of French automaker Peugeot SA and Italian-American automaker Fiat Chrysler NV, is on track to deliver 5 billion euros in cost reduction through streamlining its operations, Tavares said.

Tavares has accelerated Stellantis' electric vehicle development, committing 30 billion euros through 2025 to developing new electric vehicle architectures, building battery plants and investing in raw materials and new technology.

On Tuesday, Stellantis said it had invested in solid-state battery startup Factorial alongside German automaker Daimler AG.

"We can invest more and go deeper in the value chain," Tavares said. "There may be other (investments) in the near future."

Saw that article and it just goes to show you that company on shaky financials.  They really need to get a marriage with somebody that has the capability to produce EV’s.  There is a

pretty interest take suggested that the legacy and long term cost associated with a few of these ill prepared legacy auto makers and the ability  to weather the transition and develop EV’s.  It is where start ups really have the advantage.

On 12/1/2021 at 7:53 AM, Phenom said:

Yeah, the $34K base model Tesla Model 3 doesn't exist anymore.  It's $45K is you want the winter snow death trap or $51K for something actually safe to drive.

image.png.5fc7c1d9efdf57484ed43c11f3429c37.png

“Greenies”. I just love that term. It’s assumed anyone going electric is a “tree hugger”, lol. For me personally, I just don’t want to be at the total mercy of the petroleum industry. That being said, that Tesla or whatever EV car I buy will be parked right next to my 1 ton Silverado diesel. It’s a great truck that hauls and pulls as good as any and way better than most. 

Gas/diesel isn’t going away anytime soon. But you will pay whatever they demand with no negotiation. Wear your underwear backwards cause that’s where your going to take it. 

• Gold Member

Have 1.5 vehicles that do the majority of commuting on electric….  Can’t wait till the Rivian comes in so we can get rid off and replace the .5 plug in suv.  Will likely get rid of my Home Depot vehicle when I get the Rivian and get a 1959-1961 Cadillac 4 door so I have something to stick my crate 572 big block in.

B306A6C3-06B8-4C35-9C5D-E6621687E040.thumb.jpeg.a1147f30563915824175c8e32d6907d2.jpeg

D5BC0EC6-D2D9-46A3-BA81-EF4BD97598A8.thumb.jpeg.0e0d8766b924e2c7b4c9de2f7e53adae.jpeg

• Gold Member
12 hours ago, Phenom said:

“Greenies”. I just love that term. It’s assumed anyone going electric is a “tree hugger”, lol. For me personally, I just don’t want to be at the total mercy of the petroleum industry. That being said, that Tesla or whatever EV car I buy will be parked right next to my 1 ton Silverado diesel. It’s a great truck that hauls and pulls as good as any and way better than most. 

Gas/diesel isn’t going away anytime soon. But you will pay whatever they demand with no negotiation. Wear your underwear backwards cause that’s where your going to take it. 

We have the same thinking.  I have 13 years to retire.  I want essentially $0 monthly in home energy and transportation fuel cost in my life in the year 2035 so I don’t have those expenses in retirement.  I’m going to achieve that goal in 2022 I think.  May add some more solar next year.  Add heat pump for cooling and heating, heat pump hot water heater and heat pump clothes dryer before retirement and only have natural gas to the house for ambience for outdoor fire place.

Edited by BOHICA
  • Like 1

On 11/30/2021 at 3:35 PM, Mainecat said:

You idiots sound like horse owners when autos started coming out.

Give it a break the BBB plan includes billions for solar power.

And that's the problem as it dose not pay itself back. The law require your provider to make your connection ans buy back unused power, nobody is required to keep your system running. All the solar fields we put in were paid for with one program or another as they are not cost effective from the start.
Now here is a little fact that liberals overlook, when its time for you to buy power back its a whatever rate the power company chooses. That was won in court by national grid years ago,time to pay for all that free stuff you though you were getting.