Check your account email address ×

Lumber prices

U.S. Commerce Department doubles tariffs on Canadian softwood lumber

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/commerce-department-doubles-softwood-tariffs-1.6036806

I understand the reason for it, but for fuck sakes.

If your own industry can't meet demand, how does this do anything put poke a stick in the eye of the average Joe, looking to build a deck or a shed?

1 hour ago, racer254 said:

Who fucking writes this shit.  Not going to effect consumer prices?  FFS they are just plain ignorant on how it works.

They needlumber to stay high . The fed needs hyper inflation to kick on to overdrive in a bad way 

5 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

You slam into the wall with the forklift or something?  :lol: 

No....it was like that when we bought it. I mean I totally would do that. The amount of beer I consume around here while operating is retarded but that one wasn’t on me lol

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Fireball 440 said:

Have you instilled child labor yet?

I hear the underage trannies work for free.

Tried to hire a kid....told him $15 an hour to show up and $20 an hour as soon as he learned literally anything. He called in today on his first day lol

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

32 minutes ago, F3600 said:

Hey, working with Les (skid steer guy) on our new cabin driveway.  22 mature tree's coming down.  Poplar, birch, and Pine.

You’re a bit south of me?

3 hours ago, f7ben said:

No....it was like that when we bought it. I mean I totally would do that. The amount of beer I consume around here while operating is retarded but that one wasn’t on me lol

x2  :lol: 

1 hour ago, F3600 said:

North of Grand Rapids about 20m, Wabana Lake.

PM me and I’ll send you my number. I can only haul about 3.5 cords at a time but I might be interested in buying.

23 hours ago, racer254 said:

Who fucking writes this shit.  Not going to effect consumer prices?  FFS they are just plain ignorant on how it works.

It is an odd deal to see this happening now.

On a side note, the proposed tariff rate is still less than it was in 2018.  Lumber has such a weird market.  It gets priced and sold like a commodity.  The build up cycle for inventory is awful long for a commodity item especially in the Canadian harvest system.  We saw their 2018 harvest reductions last year in our market.  American consumers still kept buying overpriced lumber and ate up the harvest reserves.  This will be a long year for those wanting to buy lumber.  (Good news for Benmills)  The new proposed tariffs are likely to create another short inventory cycle right when we are recovering from the last reduction.  Probably more good news for Benmills that stay in business.

• Like 1