Check your account email address ×

America may be close to hitting a vaccine wall

Time to open things up. Let the dummies will die. 

There are growing signs that parts of the country may be close to meeting demand for the coronavirus vaccine — well before the U.S. has reached herd immunity. 

Why it matters: For the last few months, the primary focus of the U.S. has been getting shots to everyone who wants them, as quickly as possible. Soon, that focus will abruptly shift to convincing holdouts to get vaccinated.

State of play: Red states in the South are administering the lowest portion of the vaccine doses that they receive from the federal government — a sign of low demand, slow public health systems, or both. 

• The most vaccine-reluctant Americans are white Republicans, polling has found.

By the numbers: On average, states have administered 76% of the doses they've received from the federal government. New Hampshire has administered the largest share of all states, at 89.8%, while Alabama has administered the smallest — only 61.4% of its doses.

Driving the news: An analysis released by Surgo Ventures yesterday concluded that "the supply-demand shift for the vaccine will happen earlier than expected — as early as the end of April — and before the nation reaches the 70-90% threshold for achieving herd immunity."

• It released a survey finding that 59% of U.S. adults say they're either already vaccinated, or plan to be as soon as the shot is made available to them. At the current U.S. vaccination rate, all of those vaccine-enthusiastic adults could be inoculated by the end of April. 
  • Vaccination rates will then slow, and Surgo's projections show that only around 52% of Americans will be vaccinated by July. When combined with people who have already been infected, the immunity rate overall may be around 65% by then — still not high enough for herd immunity.

What they're saying: “This analysis shows that despite the general vaccine enthusiasm we are seeing now in the United States, things are going to get really difficult really soon,” said Sema Sgaier, Surgo's CEO.

• “Without significant investment in addressing people’s barriers and making vaccines available to those below 18, reaching herd immunity will be a real challenge.”

A separate survey of rural Americans, released by KFF this morning, found that while they're more likely to have already been vaccinated than urban and suburban Americans, there are fewer remaining rural residents who are eager to get their shots.

• 39% have already gotten at least one dose of the vaccine, 16% say they'll get it as soon as possible, and 15% said they want to "wait and see." 
  • Another 9% said they'll only get vaccinated if required, and 21% said they definitely won't. In suburban areas, a combined 21% said they were vaccine resistant, and only a combined 16% of urban residents said the same. 
  • Among rural residents who said they definitely won't get vaccinated, almost three-quarters were Republicans or Republican-leaning, and 41% were white Evangelical Christians.

The bottom line: Rural, Republican-heavy states are likely blowing through their vaccine-eager populations.

16 minutes ago, toslow said:

Just heard on Canadian news that the new covid is rapidly on the rise in the states 

I think I posted this already but last year there probably wasnt a week that went by when I didnt here of someone getting it. But for the last couple months I havent heard of anyone. then 3 weeks ago a work associate got the covid pneumonia and has been in the hospital since and was in bad shape. Just heard this week another work associate is in the hospital with the covid pneumonia. Now Wednesday a girl i went to high school with kid is in the hospital with it and is fighting for his life. So the only 3 cases I heard of recently all were hospitalized with serious symptoms. So maybe there is a new strain.. 

• Platinum Contributing Member

:lmao:

Why it matters: For the last few months, the primary focus of the U.S. has been getting shots to everyone who wants them, as quickly as possible. Soon, that focus will abruptly shift to convincing holdouts to get vaccinated.

download (5).gif

• Thanks 1

• Platinum Contributing Member

I had Covid at the end of November as did my wife...she got her first Pfizer shot on Tuesday as she is really hoping that it will help alleviate some of her lingering symptoms which there is anecdotal evidence to suggest it will. I’m debating on whether  or not to get the Pfizer Vaccine...wish I had a better idea of how long my antibodies/T Cells will fight this shit.🤷🏻

Edited by Jimmy Snacks

the covid vaccines going to cause all the edumacated northerners to go sterile,   the southerners will continue to breed and not worry about education and then when the chinese take this country over they will have worker bees just like in China.   Well played China,  well played. 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

the covid vaccines going to cause all the edumacated northerners to go sterile,   the southerners will continue to breed and not worry about education and then when the chinese take this country over they will have worker bees just like in China.   Well played China,  well played. 

Don’t forget the micro chip.

7 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

White, Stepin Fetchit worker bees. The Chinese will shoot em all.  :lol: 

2 hours ago, Kivalo said:

That's odd, I thought it was black people who were afraid to get it because of white privilege? 

Yeah I remember some one feverishly fighting that position just a few days back 

Hey spin do you remember who that would have been ? 

1 hour ago, Ez ryder said:

How do you follow the science when the science keeps changing its opinion 🤔

Yeah...it's weird.  Apparently "the science" is settled when it comes to MMGW but....it keeps shifting for this PaNDeMICK!!!!

Hmmmm....seems fishy.

1 hour ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

That’s ok. Riot season is right around the corner. This year BLM AND Chyna Flu vaccine shaming will be on the menu. Peer pressure takes all the heat off the guberment. 

This may damn well be the most factual and poignant post here all weekend.

1 hour ago, ACE said:

Elon is a gem

he said the virus panic was dumb like a year ago already 

This was ignored for something that fit the narrative more betta!  He must have been on pot when he downplayed the panic virus.