Check your account email address ×

Opinions on campers.

I think they're all built with cheap materials no matter the brand. Once you take it off the lot your basically on your own and getting service at another dealer is hard to come by. Do your research on the forums for the brands your looking at before dropping big coin.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, J. Jackson said:

Buying a new camper and would like some feedback from those in the know. My choices are:

Grand Design Solitude

Cardinal Luxury

Alliance Paradigm

Jayco North Point

All are floorplans that have a large bathroom and are similarly priced within a few thousand retail. Curious about opinions especially from those who might have owned one of these.

Have you checked out anything from Heartland?

We looked at a few before we bought this used motorhome and I looked up all the problems associated with with the ones we were looking at. Alot had the same issues and I took a chance hoping that since it's used they had been addressed. We drove it down to Nova Scotia early January and have been living in it since. The 1st problem sofar have been the electric stairs that quit and wouldn't go back in. It was an easy fix I took them off and put a two step on the ground to get in/out. The module went and waiting for the local dealer to get it in to replace it. 

20201019_172956.jpg

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Bontz said:

We own a 29' Premier (travel trailer) and even though it's "higher end" from our previous camper ... they're all pretty much junk in the grand scheme of things.  I mean, don't get me wrong ... we really like our camper ... but the quality and overall manufacturing are not exactly the gold standard.  Hopefully you're either somewhat handy and can address issues as they come up, or buy from a dealer with a good service department that won't rake you over the coals if you need something outside of warranty.  Of the four you listed, the Jayco is the one that I'd say is on the lower end of the spectrum.  At least if it's anything like the 2 Jayco campers my camping buddies have owned (seal issues way too early, plumbing issues, water heater issues).

These campers are definitely a great way to spend time away from home with family and friends - but they can sure piss a guy off when there's problems.

Rv’ers are some of the biggest liars. Walk through a campground and strike up some conversations. The man of the house will tell what a great and trouble free rig he has. Glance over at his wife’s face and there’s an entirely different story going on. :lol: 

• Haha 1

I transport rvs from the factories to dealers. I get to see what production problems they have when i deliver them and the dealer does an initial inspection. The forest river units always have a 1-2 page list of things to fix. jayco is better, usually less  than a page. Grand design always has a few minor issues but nowhere near what the others do. 

• Gold Member

We have had great luck with this '17 321 Eagle. As smokin george said look them over real good. Once you buy them, You own them. Every problem we have had or others we camp with, have the best luck calling the manufacturer of the part or appliance direct. 

IMG_0318.jpg

• Like 2

First thing to know is they are all built like complete shit. Lippert builds all of the frames and most of the suspensions as well as 75% of all the components used in all brands of RV's. That being said I found that Grand Design does a better job of cobbling the pile of crap parts together and does a pretty good job of rectifying issues as they arise. 

Mine has been surprisingly trouble free. The small issues that have come up take about 5 minutes to fix. 

Camper.jpg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bontz said:

We own a 29' Premier (travel trailer) and even though it's "higher end" from our previous camper ... they're all pretty much junk in the grand scheme of things.  I mean, don't get me wrong ... we really like our camper ... but the quality and overall manufacturing are not exactly the gold standard.  Hopefully you're either somewhat handy and can address issues as they come up, or buy from a dealer with a good service department that won't rake you over the coals if you need something outside of warranty.  Of the four you listed, the Jayco is the one that I'd say is on the lower end of the spectrum.  At least if it's anything like the 2 Jayco campers my camping buddies have owned (seal issues way too early, plumbing issues, water heater issues).

These campers are definitely a great way to spend time away from home with family and friends - but they can sure piss a guy off when there's problems.

They certainly aren’t held to the same standards as other manufacturers, are they? 

Im lucky because one of my friends, and he’s also a rides sleds with us in the winter, is a 30 year RV tech. He gets pissed when I bring it into his dealer to have it fixed and usually comes right to the house to do anything I need on our campers but I feel bad asking him to work on them at home. He always cuts me a smoking deal on the labor and I he always finds a box of beer in the bed of his truck after I pick our camper up. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ford_428cj said:

Anybody ever use them in cold weather? I see that some have the tanks insulated in. Seems like that would be a mouse nest home area tho :dunno:

We used ours year-round and never had a mouse inside. We had them in the under storage and we just kept a suicide pail in there. Ours had the winter pkg with the heated tanks and we winterized and didn't use them. I think in freezing weather the lines would be frozen even with the tank heaters on. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, smokin george said:

We used ours year-round and never had a mouse inside. We had them in the under storage and we just kept a suicide pail in there. Ours had the winter pkg with the heated tanks and we winterized and didn't use them. I think in freezing weather the lines would be frozen even with the tank heaters on. 

Skirting helps heating the under belly....

31 minutes ago, Dave said:

Ya I love boondocking.

:thumbsup:

We have been using the coach for the past 6 weeks for sleeping, watching movies and having our morning coffee. We only turn one furnace on in the morning and again in the evening to watch movies then shut it down overnight. We are plugged into the house and use a small elec heater in the bedroom. Hopefully we can get the house/shop cleaned out the next 2-3 weeks and head home.

1 minute ago, smokin george said:

We have been using the coach for the past 6 weeks for sleeping, watching movies and having our morning coffee. We only turn one furnace on in the morning and again in the evening to watch movies then shut it down overnight. We are plugged into the house and use a small elec heater in the bedroom. Hopefully we can get the house/shop cleaned out the next 2-3 weeks and head home.

Good times :)

So in my search you get educated. Biggest revelation is wall material. Azdel is the material of choice. Less than 1% incidences of delam plus mold and mildew resistant. All Heartland and Alliance products have it as well as some Forest River units. Surprisingly Grand Design uses luan like most others. Leaning towards the Heartland and Columbus 1492 brands. 

I was going to suggest Newmar trailers but by the looks of things, they only make Motorhomes nowadays.

Still, because, imo, they make a real solid product, I'd have no issue finding a used one. Just my opinion, of course.

https://rvbg.trailerlife.com/product/2004-newmar-corporation-mountain-aire-36-kswb-fw/

https://rvbg.trailerlife.com/product/2007-newmar-corporation-kountry-aire-37rlpk/

Edited by irv

On 2/18/2021 at 11:09 PM, J. Jackson said:

5th wheel.

my dad had an XLR thunderbolt maybe a 16 or 17  that had a nice layout like that.   impressive once bumped out, the livingroom was quite large up front.

the XLR s have some nice feature over a jayco or some of the others.

Edited by old indy

• 5 months later...

Finally pulled the trigger on a 2022 Grand Design Solitude 345GK-R. Isn't exactly the f-p that I wanted but bought it for what I feel is a pretty good price. If I don't like it I think that I could flip it without a big hit. There's been multiple price increases since the first of the year and it's getting crazy. The ball and chain is happy so that's a plus!

• Like 1