Check your account email address ×

ATV caught fire in the garage today...

Kivalo

34 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

Must be at least 10 years ago, but a Carpenter friend burned his out building down, said the cause was from charging 18 volt DE Walt batteries in there.

I never have anything on tenders....my ocd would go into high gear wondering if shits gonna burn down anytime I'm gone.

Just now, Fireball 440 said:

I have shit on tenders and chargers all the time and if it burns me down it burns me down.

Well if you roll that way ok....I'd rather just replace a battery....much easier imo.

:lol:

Just now, Dave said:

Well if you roll that way ok....I'd rather just replace a battery....much easier imo.

:lol:

My shit is charged when I need it, if not then I'll replace the battery.

Just wait until the electric cars start burning down entire neighborhoods.

11 hours ago, Kivalo said:

Put the battery charger onto my 2006 Polaris Sportsman 700 in my mom's garage today. 45 minutes later it's completely engulfed in flames. My mom's garage for fuck sake! FUCK ME!

It could have been a lot worse tho, all things considered I got really really lucky. Gotta love the volunteer fire fighters, thank God for those guys and gals!

20210216_202450.jpg

Hard to tell from the pics but, will that buff out?  LOL

Glad nobody was hurt.

4 minutes ago, Dave said:

I never have anything on tenders....my ocd would go into high gear wondering if shits gonna burn down anytime I'm gone.

I'm pretty much the same.  I have a weird aversion to waking up with my shit on fire.

• Like 1

I like tenders and chargers but more and more their electronics are Chinese junk and they get hot or overload.  I don't like to use one for too long unsupervised.

Glad you got to it, could have been too far gone in a hurry.

• Gold Member
5 hours ago, Fireball 440 said:

I don't think the battery charger caused the fire unless it was sitting on the front rack.

I agree. Seems to be from the gauge pod or near there.

• Gold Member

Fire Investigator said he couldn't be positive about the cause and was able to fine only one small piece of wire showing evidence of arcing. In his opinion this was caused by age and wear & tear.

32 minutes ago, Kivalo said:

Fire Investigator said he couldn't be positive about the cause and was able to fine only one small piece of wire showing evidence of arcing. In his opinion this was caused by age and wear & tear.

Age and wear and tear.  Great investigation.

You're diagnosis of the gauge sounds more realistic.

• Gold Member
5 minutes ago, Fireball 440 said:

Age and wear and tear.  Great investigation.

You're diagnosis of the gauge sounds more realistic.

It sounded like age and wear & tear is the designation for when they cannot positively pinpoint the issue? :dunno:

On 2/17/2021 at 8:31 AM, XCR1250 said:

Must be at least 10 years ago, but a Carpenter friend burned his out building down, said the cause was from charging 18 volt DE Walt batteries in there.

Yeah happens a lot . End of day you always see every one on a job site unplugging everything that belongs to them especially chargers.  No one wants that shit on them 

• Gold Member
1 hour ago, 800renegaderider said:

Sounds like a term they came up with for insurance to not pay out. Brace for a small check.

They already denied coverage on the atv. I'm fighting it of course.

• Gold Member
26 minutes ago, Kivalo said:

I figured they would. I’m sure the payout for the garage is probably 1/3 the actual cost to repair too. Bunch of fucking dirt bags. 

Edited by 800renegaderider

42 minutes ago, Kivalo said:

I was kinda wondering about coverage when you ad earlier mentioned that it was being covering thru your moms house insurance.  Here in Ontario, Canada, IF a vehicle can have its own insurance policy, then to be covered, it must have its own policy, and will not be covered thru house insurance. Examples up here are motorcycles, quads, cars, trucks, etc. My Kubota tractor is covered under my house insurance, but I pay extra for that, and had to provide serial numbers off of the tractor, and each extra implement, like the snowblower, mower, front bucket, etc. For sure, if your quad is suppose to be covered under your moms house insurance, don,t back off. Might not hurt to get a letter sent from your lawyer to the insurance company ASAP so they get the message that you aren,t going to take no for an answer. Good luck.

• Gold Member
2 hours ago, 800renegaderider said:

I figured they would. I’m sure the payout for the garage is probably 1/3 the actual cost to repair too. Bunch of fucking dirt bags. 

Yes, they sure as shit are!!

1 hour ago, Frostynuts said:

I was kinda wondering about coverage when you ad earlier mentioned that it was being covering thru your moms house insurance.  Here in Ontario, Canada, IF a vehicle can have its own insurance policy, then to be covered, it must have its own policy, and will not be covered thru house insurance. Examples up here are motorcycles, quads, cars, trucks, etc. My Kubota tractor is covered under my house insurance, but I pay extra for that, and had to provide serial numbers off of the tractor, and each extra implement, like the snowblower, mower, front bucket, etc. For sure, if your quad is suppose to be covered under your moms house insurance, don,t back off. Might not hurt to get a letter sent from your lawyer to the insurance company ASAP so they get the message that you aren,t going to take no for an answer. Good luck.

My mom's policy reads that if the vehicle is required by NYS law to be registered then it is not covered. The NYS DMV website says that ATVs must be registered UNLESS used on private property for not-for-profit snow removal. This ATV is used soley on private property for snow removal and I have never received a dime in compensation. 

I think my chances are good.

• Like 3