Check your account email address ×

someone's day sucked

32 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Once again, sledders find themselves on the wrong side of public opinion.  SUPER DUPER!

Yup, and there are two covered bridges that we use in my area of Vermont. One of them gets heavy snowmobile traffic, if the town were to decide to shut it down it would cripple our local trail system. As has been said, what are the odds of someone’s sled catching on fire in the middle of 100 year old covered bridge?

Yeah, the fire chief said on their website that no negative posts will be tolerated concerning the snowmobiler. Big concern is that no one got hurt. Well, I've crossed that bridge many times and it's pretty hard to go more than 10 mph or so on it so the bailing off at speed is out the window. There is some decent sized fields on either side so the owner of the sled should have known something wasn't quite right with the sled. Hot smell, noises or performance issue. My guess is that it was an inexperienced rider who panicked. I would think that if there wasn't anyone in front of the rider the option would have been get off and mash the throttle and hope it made it out. Either way it sucks as I spent summers at my grandparents farm 100 yards away from it fishing and climbing on it. I remember that when the sun shined just so you could see huge suckers underneath it swimming around. A shame for sure.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, J. Jackson said:

Yeah, the fire chief said on their website that no negative posts will be tolerated concerning the snowmobiler. Big concern is that no one got hurt. Well, I've crossed that bridge many times and it's pretty hard to go more than 10 mph or so on it so the bailing off at speed is out the window. There is some decent sized fields on either side so the owner of the sled should have known something wasn't quite right with the sled. Hot smell, noises or performance issue. My guess is that it was an inexperienced rider who panicked. I would think that if there wasn't anyone in front of the rider the option would have been get off and mash the throttle and hope it made it out. Either way it sucks as I spent summers at my grandparents farm 100 yards away from it fishing and climbing on it. I remember that when the sun shined just so you could see huge suckers underneath it swimming around. A shame for sure.

Or even drag it off the bridge backwards

• Gold Member

As big of pieces of shit snowmobiles have become and all the ones that light on fire every year it should be required for each one to carry a 5 or 10 lb fire extinguisher on the tunnel.  If each sled had a fire extinguisher that were in this group the irreplaceable historic bridge would still be standing.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

As big of pieces of shit snowmobiles have become and all the ones that light on fire every year it should be required for each one to carry a 5 or 10 lb fire extinguisher on the tunnel.  If each sled had a fire extinguisher that were in this group the irreplaceable historic bridge would still be standing.

or a rope

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

That ain't gonna work.  Do you realize how big a 5lb extinguisher is?  :lol:

They do however make real small ones that are about the size of a small thermos, but till someone realizes their sleds on fire and gets the hood off, I don't think a little piss-cat extinguisher is gonna do a whole hell of a lot.

Another thing no one has brought up yet, what if these were older people, say in thier 60's or 70's?  Certainly not very capable of rushing around trying to figure out how to get the damn thing out of the bridge in a hurry.  Just a real unfortunate thing.

52 minutes ago, hayward said:

That ain't gonna work.  Do you realize how big a 5lb extinguisher is?  :lol:

They do however make real small ones that are about the size of a small thermos, but till someone realizes their sleds on fire and gets the hood off, I don't think a little piss-cat extinguisher is gonna do a whole hell of a lot.

Another thing no one has brought up yet, what if these were older people, say in thier 60's or 70's?  Certainly not very capable of rushing around trying to figure out how to get the damn thing out of the bridge in a hurry.  Just a real unfortunate thing.

Actually, more than likely, they're the people that would have figured it out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J. Jackson said:

Actually, more than likely, they're the people that would have figured it out.

no denying that.  but, could they move fast enough?:lol:

MC's about that age, no?  I wonder if he'd had figured it out? :pc:

• 2 weeks later...