Check your account email address ×

Average student loan debt per age.

1 hour ago, Angry ginger said:

you should have gone back into school debt in your 40's and 50's to send your kids to their dream school like a good parent would do.       

only 1 kid went to college and she went with scholarships and on her merits due to hard work, and my other 3 are banking good coin without wasting time and money being indoctrinated into the liberal thinking 

• Platinum Contributing Member

i graduated in 94 paid off in 96.  I graduated at that time with 30k in loans when jobs paid low 20's so I don't feel bad when they talk about what the average kid today owes when if they got a good degree 50-70k is normal around here.      

And there is nothing wrong with taking some of that 50-70kand using it to pay for what allows one to earn it.

• Like 1

good luck with that.   the expected family contribution here was north of 60k a year between my 2 kids.  Both got some money for grades but still are paying 20k in tuition plus room and board for 1 of them.  The only easy money the kids qualify for is their Fed student loans for 25k over the 4 years.  My son will only take his for his junior and senior year in case there is handouts.   his tuitions less than I have in his 529 plan for the 2 years.    

20k in tuition isnt bad. Amherst pays $25k per student for high school.

Trade degree from local community college, $13,000

Tools needed for said trade, $6,000 but grows unfortunately.

First year starting pay, $50,000. 

Five years in, $75,000

Get rich quick? No. 
Hard work? Can be.

Honest days pay for an honest days work? Yup. 
Current open positions in said field? PLENTIFUL and practically never ending. 

My two nieces are graduating high school this year. I know how smart they are because while they are both very bummed out about how their lives have been affected by COVID they have both opened their eyes to which careers never quit working during a crazy time like this. Both are going into fields of study that will take them to a career in those fields. 

Edited by SayatodaU.P.eh?
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

You live in a very small world. 

No if you plan to go to grad school late in life and don't just go to a corp who will flip that bill because a ton do . Then you you are doing it wrong .

My wife got her masters for free just working at the elevator shop at the U of M . Lol never had to take a night class did all her homework at work took her clases on the clock . Just like the girls before and after her .

Places like Anderson United health Honeywell on and on flip the whole bill books included 

• Gold Member

Went to trade school for a year after high school. If I remember right it was about 22k with a dorm room(stayed out of state). Took me 2 years to pay it off. Made shit my first year and had to buy a crap load of tools so I worked 2nd job at night for extra play money. By my second year in the trade I’ve made more quit the night job and I’ve made more money every year since. It’s hard work but I make damn good money for no college degree more than most I still talk to from high school who went the college route.

I went to a privet art school(Minneapolis collage of art and design) attached the Minneapolis Institute of art. in the late 80s early 90 for industrial design.  At the time it was 12k a yr no room or board.  and I paid all as I went along installing cash register systems as a sub for NCR at night and part time framing for drug money 

Two technical degrees and one college. I had it all paid off by 29. Additional CPU’s were paid by my employer. At this point I’m on my own with annual CPU costs. So far I’ve found grants to pick up the cost. I’m great at grant writing. Lol. 

Edited by ActionfigureJoe

Many young people are brainwashed into thinking that they need to go to the best school for a meaningful degree. When we went to graduation ceremonies for my son at Springfield College in Ma there were 2300 graduates.Better than 1500 were social services degrees with entry level jobs waiting, maybe. 30-35K a year if lucky to get a job. This was 12 years ago and tuition there was roughly 45k/yr. Do the math.

3 hours ago, steve from amherst said:

20k in tuition isnt bad. Amherst pays $25k per student for high school.

its not.  Sons living at home junior and senior year will keep his overall cost to 90k and I was paying 80k per kid.  Daughter wanting to live in OH this year will cost more than it should have but it was better she lived out there.    hopefully biden comes through writes off their loans and I end up with 7-10k left in their 529's each that i will give to them for their first house.  

My kid landed her BS and MS through a community college. She had a minor in business.  She started her own pre school within a year of graduating. The setting of the preschool is in a nature setting with active curriculum. Wealthy professional couples are banging down her door for a spot. She did her degree cheap and is reaping the rewards. She carved out a slice of preschool environments that’s rare and highly desirable. With 12 kids her income is nothing short of amazing. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mainecat said:

There are not enough vocational high schools in the country. There are waiting lists here.

Vocational high school isn’t going to cut it anymore. I didn’t go to college until I was 38, had 19 years of experience in the field and pretty much every certification one could get. Didn’t matter. To get the job I wanted, and now have, I needed at least an associates degree. It’s basically today’s HS diploma. Today’s bachelors is the old associates and today’s masters is the old bachelors degree. Every engineer that I now work with had better have a masters if they want to go anywhere. The old guys that are retirement age have tech degrees. That shit isn’t going far these days. 

Daughters college is 50K/year.  Her scholarship covers all tuition, fees, and books.  We pay room and board.  She was an exchange student and still ended up with 17 college credits earned through her junior year.  She will most likely finish in 3 years and then off to law school. 

When you say “cancel student debt” you’re saying a minority of people that had the advantage of obtaining a degree should have their Dept paid by taxpayers , 2/3 of whom don’t have degrees themselves or already paid their student debt.

2 hours ago, Sleepr2 said:

When you say “cancel student debt” you’re saying a minority of people that had the advantage of obtaining a degree should have their Dept paid by taxpayers , 2/3 of whom don’t have degrees themselves or already paid their student debt.

Allow people to file bankruptcy on student loans. They’ll suffer the financial consequences of a bankruptcy yet be free of the crushing debt. Hopefully lesson learned. Same way businesses can discharge SBA loans in a bankruptcy. It’s fucking ridiculous that student loans can’t be discharged in a bankruptcy. 

23 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Allow people to file bankruptcy on student loans. They’ll suffer the financial consequences of a bankruptcy yet be free of the crushing debt. Hopefully lesson learned. Same way businesses can discharge SBA loans in a bankruptcy. It’s fucking ridiculous that student loans can’t be discharged in a bankruptcy. 

Unbelievable 🙄

41 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Or, parents can do a better job with their kids.  Kids shouldn't be going to college unless they have a career in mind that requires it.  Most don't when they're 17 years old and making this decision so they go to college anyway because they get herded into it and it buys them four years to figure it out/put it off.

If more kids would take a year or two off after high school, work whatever job they've been doing, get some life experience, most all would find out a path they can take that doesn't require a 100k piece of paper and 4 years of lost income.

But we don't talk about these things my bad.  

These poor kids and their unfair debt!  There how is that?

6 hours ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

In canada there is literally zero consequences for filing bankruptcy.

16 hours ago, Mainecat said:

I think my tuition cost per semester was around 300.00 in 1974.

i never needed a student loan. Summer full time and part time jobs during school paid for my tuition. That really can’t be done today.

College became a huge for profit business about 25 years ago.

The libs sure are a greedy bunch, and the higher ed system shows it.