Check your account email address ×

If you could buy one which would you buy

So I’ve been looking at yamaha 242x wake series boats. It’s crazy but they are about 90k now with the short supply because of covid. My family owns  a summer place in Caseville Right on the water and I live 5 minutes from lake st clare. I could use the boat almost every night in the summer if I chose to. 

I also look at places in the UP of Michigan all the time. I really want to buy a place and have my sleds in a barn ready to ride. This would allow me to sell my 14k dollar enclosed trailer and Stop these hikes with a trailer attached all the time. 

if you could have the boat or a Vacation place which would you choose and why

1 minute ago, jtssrx said:

So I’ve been looking at yamaha 242x wake series boats. It’s crazy but they are about 90k now with the short supply because of covid. My family owns  a summer place in Caseville Right on the water and I live 5 minutes from lake st clare. I could use the boat almost every night in the summer if I chose to. 

I also look at places in the UP of Michigan all the time. I really want to buy a place and have my sleds in a barn ready to ride. This would allow me to sell my 14k dollar enclosed trailer and Stop these hikes with a trailer attached all the time. 

Wouldn't you be able to get YEAR-ROUIND use of the place up country? The boat you'll only get a few months, and out of that some will be rain. 

I would go for the place up country, and maybe just get a smaller, cheaper boat for the lakes. Just my .02c. 

24 minutes ago, jtssrx said:

Both are a 3-4 month hobby so i choose both.   if your trailering the boat you prob won't use it as much as you think it becomes a chore.  i changed lakes in 04 in the chase for better year round useability.  it was 90 minutes away and had an average 10 week sled season.  the rest of the time i trailered.  we were there every nice weekend from mem day to columbus day until the kids were too busy.  

The real estate would be worth more in the long run, boat would be a lot more fun more of the year. How much would you use the cabin? Just in the winter or year round?

You can always buy a cheap used boat.

That’s a no brainer for me, vacation place by far. It can be used year round  and will appreciate unlike a 90k boat. Like Edmo said, buy a cheap used boat for dragging the kids around on tubes/skis.

• Like 1

• Gold Member
7 hours ago, jtssrx said:

Vacation house in the UP on the water AND the boat.  Start working overtime!!  :bc:

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
7 hours ago, snoughnut said:

That’s a no brainer for me, vacation place by far. It can be used year round  and will appreciate unlike a 90k boat. Like Edmo said, buy a cheap used boat for dragging the kids around on tubes/skis.

x2

Vacation place all the way.   Especially if you can earn some income thru VRBO or other rental websites.

The place my brother and I have and rent out during the summer is booked for 76 days (June 15th thru sept 15th) this summer at $600 a night.   This market is insane right now....people do not want to stay in hotels and most don't want to fly.   I could see this continuing for some time.

Edited by Highmark

10 hours ago, jtssrx said:

yes

5 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Vacation place all the way.   Especially if you can earn some income thru VRBO or other rental websites.

The place my brother and I have and rent out during the summer is booked for 76 days (June 15th thru sept 15th) this summer at $600 a night.   This market is insane right now....people do not want to stay in hotels and most don't want to fly.   I could see this continuing for some time.

Cottage rentals have taken a big bite out of resorts around here.  I have my eye on the local market in case something really good pops out but prices have gone up and I'm looking to knock mine down and re-build.

Here is what my agent sent me. 1.14 mil

275700_1.jpg

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/22139091/187-10th-concession-road-parry-sound

3 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Cottage rentals have taken a big bite out of resorts around here.  I have my eye on the local market in case something really good pops out but prices have gone up and I'm looking to knock mine down and re-build.

Here is what my agent sent me. 1.14 mil

275700_1.jpg

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/22139091/187-10th-concession-road-parry-sound

Holy shit.   That's pricey for what it is however like the old saying goes....location, location, location.

We stayed away from the larger more "expensive" lakes in the area we wanted to be and I'd say it saved us 25%-35% on our purchase price.   We've done some significant improvements (New dock, new furniture, video game for the bar, and cleaned up the frontage) and now as comparison to other listings our should have increased in value by 25%+.   We really didn't need to do much as our booking history was solid but from discussion with people up there in the rental industry was take care of "complaints" and the return customers will follow.  

20 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Wow, that seems quite high, is your cottage nicer than your home?  :lmao:

Just now, snoughnut said:

Wow, that seems quite high, is your cottage nicer than your home?  :lmao:

No but on the water in a popular northern Wi area and sleeps 10 (more with inflatables provided).   Couple families go in it and its not as high as one might think.   Most of our renters are 10+.   When the leasing company set the price we thought they were nuts and its been filled really well both summers.   Mainly fills June 1 thru Sept 15.   We block it off for ourselves Dec thru May for sledding and early fishing.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

Not a fan of the Yamaha jet boats especially for 90k. A used MasterCraft or Correct Craft and buying a place would make more Sense.

That’s what I was thinking. A one owner Mastercraft. The boats are typically well maintained anc hold their value in the used market. Have to be nuts to buy a new boat. 

1 hour ago, Highmark said:

How is this even possible?  All everyone on the left says is that everyone is unemployed and businesses are closing left and right.   Even ben says the poor people need a stimulus check.  I guess your renters must be the exception.

3 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

That’s what I was thinking. A one owner Mastercraft. The boats are typically well maintained anc hold their value in the used market. Have to be nuts to buy a new boat. 

Plus that Yamaha jet boat deal is not so great. They are mostly under powered and over worked in the engine department and are just not going to hold up like most ski boats.