Check your account email address ×

Rode with a tuned 900 turbo

jtssrx

1. The throttle is a flat out fucking joke. It doesn’t matter what mode it’s in there is throttle lag. Sport mode makes it worse as it hits so hard it’s hard to control the sled.

2. It basically runs side by side with my 850 which has a jaws pipe, 14 wide ripsaw11 with 144 triggers, and a billy howard clutch kit. We raced Wednesday on the road by the Kingston planes. He Lined up in the middle of the road on the top of the crown I had to line up to the right of him on the side of the crown I pulled hard straight into the bank with my skis in the air  I held it bounced off the bank and ran him back down and was tied right to his snow flap with my ski. I had to chuckle we told our other buddy who also has a 900 t his sled is faster than mine. 

3. My buddy who owns this had an 850 last year he was telling me how this was going to be the four stroke version of the 850 just a little bit heavier. Well it’s not a little bit heavier it doesn’t even feel like the same snowmobile and it’s in the same goddamn chassis.

Let’s just say color may not impressed I’ve never owned one of these things.

Edited by jtssrx
  • Like 1

There has to be a reflash or something with some of these sleds, because in sport mode there is absolutely no turbo lag in mine.  Right off the bottom, its now.  And give me drive by wire vs. cable all day long.  Light pull, can spin the lever around if your wrist or thumb is tired.  The other two modes sure I guess,  I never run it there, unless I”m trying to crawl out of a stuck, and its awesome for that, feeds the power nice and easy.  That said, it does take some acclimating to learn how to best use the power.  To each his own I guess.  The best thing I like about it is not whether its as fast as an 850 or not, but How much i’m saving in gas and oil on a 6-800 mile weekend.

Edited by DriftBusta

1 minute ago, DriftBusta said:

There has to be a reflash or something with some of these sleds, because in sport mode there is absolutely no turbo lag in mine.  Right off the bottom, its now.  And give me drive by wire vs. cable all day long.  Light pull, can spin the lever around if your wrist or thumb is tired.  The other two modes sure I guess,  I never run it there, unless I”m trying to crawl out of a stuck, and its awesome for that, feeds the power nice and easy.  That said, it does take some acclimating to learn how to best use the power.  To each his own I guess.  The best thing I like about it is not whether its as fast as an 850 or not, but How much i’m saving in gas and oil on a 6-800 mile weekend.

It cant be much better on gas???

I suck gas worse than anyone I know and I still got 14-15 on the 850. That's the best I ever got on any sled

Just now, f7ben said:

I suck gas worse than anyone I know and I still got 14-15 on the 850. That's the best I ever got on any sled

Most fills I’m using less than the 800-850s, unless we’re pushing powder all day long, then it gets closer.  Don’t have any exact figures, but I’d say a typical fill is they’ll take 20-21 bucks, I’ll take 16-18.  I mean its not why I bought it, but the lower operating cost is nice.  

27 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

He has a tune the throttle lag is supposed to be fixed it’s not. It’s a 2020 

24 minutes ago, f7ben said:

We took the sane amount of fuel and I ride harder than him by a mile. 

3 minutes ago, Anler said:

The 850 gets really good economy but 2 stroke oil is stupid expensive now, that's a big plus with the turbo not having to buy oil.  

Meh, couple hundred bucks is peanuts when you add everything up. Snowmobiling wouldn’t be the same for me without the braap braap.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Edmo said:

Meh, couple hundred bucks is peanuts when you add everything up. Snowmobiling wouldn’t be the same for me without the braap braap.

Sure but I've been out running at night hoping we make it back before I run out of oil. :lol:

2 minutes ago, Anler said:

The 850 gets really good economy but 2 stroke oil is stupid expensive now, that's a big plus with the turbo not having to buy oil.  

Even the non OEM stuff is getting crazy! After conversing with Tomas in the sled thread and looking for the Shell advance at my jobber store, I couldn't believe how much it had risen since the last time I purchased it. $64.99 regular price for 5 liters!! That's insane! https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/shell-advance-synthetic-snowmobile-oil-5l-0281796p.0281796.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIprbvo4HH5gIVEdvACh0NvAJrEAQYASABEgKqovD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds#store=336

I also noticed the regular price of a decent synthetic engine oil like Pennzoil was now over $61 dollars up here! 

1 minute ago, bussman said:

My CTEC used so little oil it’s not a factor. 

Pierre's 2020 uses more than mine and mine is NOT good. He was kinda irked about it because he said his last 800 was really good. 

13 minutes ago, jtssrx said:

He has a tune the throttle lag is supposed to be fixed it’s not. It’s a 2020 

We took the sane amount of fuel and I ride harder than him by a mile. 

If thats the case, I’m thinking the tune is the issue, both with what feels like a lag to you, and the mileage.  Be nice if you could ride a stock one for a base point.  Sounds like you have yours set up for top speed though, you went to a 14” Low profile track, I went to a 16” high profile. :lol:  :bc: 

Just now, bussman said:

My 800 isn’t as good but my SIL went over 500 miles without putting oil in her CTEC 600. 

The etec is really good. Every time we stopped he probably used 70% of what we did. Same with the oil. 

1 minute ago, irv said:

Even the non OEM stuff is getting crazy! After conversing with Tomas in the sled thread and looking for the Shell advance at my jobber store, I couldn't believe how much it had risen since the last time I purchased it. $64.99 regular price for 5 liters!! That's insane! https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/shell-advance-synthetic-snowmobile-oil-5l-0281796p.0281796.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIprbvo4HH5gIVEdvACh0NvAJrEAQYASABEgKqovD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds#store=336

I also noticed the regular price of a decent synthetic engine oil like Pennzoil was now over $61 dollars up here! 

I'm headed to farm and fleet to buy them out of mystik. That's all I'm using from now on. $22 a gallon.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Anler said:

Pierre's 2020 uses more than mine and mine is NOT good. He was kinda irked about it because he said his last 800 was really good. 

Mine used less than the Doo 800’s and 850’s. Just slightly less but it still surprised me. I used a bit more gas too which means that’s pretty oil lean in comparison. 

I always thought my poo 800 was pretty good on gas and oil. Not etec good, but close. When we would fill up we’d be within a gallon or so between prestons 850 and Steve’s 800 etec. They were always looking at my pump and shaking their heads hoping they’d see a much bigger difference. :lol: 

I pay $30 a gallon for bulk doo XPS or poo VES oil. Currently have 3 of each. :lol: 

my local dealer runs a sale every Black Friday and I go every year

Edited by thewayout

Just now, Anler said:

I'm headed to farm and fleet to buy them out of mystik. That's all I'm using from now on. $22 a gallon.

That's a great price and I don't blame you one bit for using it. My son's XLT drinks the stuff but I've always put off adjusting the injection setting. Seeing the prices now, I think I will when I need to purchase oil again.

Going from the thicker Produmax to the thinner Shell stuff made a huge difference in the amount it uses! O.o

Just now, DriftBusta said:

My Assault drank the oil like a boss. 😳

It does and yeah I get it I'm not in this machine for the economy but I just have a thing about when I think someone is screwing me and that's what they are doing with that oil. "You HAVE to use our oil or your warranty may be void! Here it's $50" that's a fucking lie. 

2 minutes ago, bussman said:

Mine used less than the Doo 800’s and 850’s. Just slightly less but it still surprised me. I used a bit more gas too which means that’s pretty oil lean in comparison. 

Yeah he said it was really good.