Check your account email address ×

First ride 2020 Polaris Indy 850 137.

2 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Did your Vector have power steering?   If not I'd say Similar or the Winder be a bit better because of the better riding position.   IMHO it depends on how you setup suspension and clutching.   I know people will likely laugh at this but I don't think there is any sled I've had on smooth trails that I've ever been able to run faster than my Sidewinder.  Even when they get pretty tight.   The planted feeling of the extra weight up front really can be an advantage at times.  You learn pretty quickly to just roll thru corners very fast with the momentum built from the last even tiny straight.  Even with a strong back shifting clutch set up.   I've had plenty of rides with buddies that I'm waiting for them at intersections.  

No EPS, wish it did but it's an 08 and I don't think the Vec's came with it until?? 

I have mine set up pretty decently, I think, where I can get around on it pretty good but it's the weight I notice the most, especially after riding all day. I feel it in my shoulders and of course I am more tired than the next guy. My trails are a variety of everything, long open stretches and some tight stuff. I know the sled is more suited, like the Apex's, for big wide open trails like in Quebec, but the pro's of owning it outweigh the negatives.

EPS is sweet. I rode a few with it and I hated getting back on mine after those rides. I run Curve XS skis and 8" Bergstrom Triple Points but wish I had of went with the 6" length most times. 

IMG_0600 (Large).JPG

• Like 2

• Platinum Contributing Member
4 minutes ago, irv said:

No EPS, wish it did but it's an 08 and I don't think the Vec's came with it until?? 

I have mine set up pretty decently, I think, where I can get around on it pretty good but it's the weight I notice the most, especially after riding all day. I feel it in my shoulders and of course I am more tired than the next guy. My trails are a variety of everything, long open stretches and some tight stuff. I know the sled is more suited, like the Apex's, for big wide open trails like in Quebec, but the pro's of owning it outweigh the negatives.

EPS is sweet. I rode a few with it and I hated getting back on mine after those rides. I run Curve XS skis and 8" Bergstrom Triple Points but wish I had of went with the 6" length most times. 

IMG_0600 (Large).JPG

That’s a great looking sled Irv. :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, irv said:

IMG_0600 (Large).JPG

Always loved that color scheme.  :bc:

I'm shocked Yammie hasn't put EPS on the Sidewinder yet.  My brother has an Apex with it and its fucking amazing the difference.   With the sound and performance of that engine it makes it an extremely fun trail sled.  

If you like how it rides you could try to lengthen the limiter a bit.   Give a little more weight transfer to ease up steering when lightly into the throttle.  

5 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

That’s a great looking sled Irv. :thumbsup:

Thanks, Jimmy. I've done a fair bit of work/upgrades to it but the biggest improvements, looks wise, were the addition of the white belly protector and the white Curve skis with the red loops. Those 2 things really set it apart, imo.

HPIM1220 (Medium).JPG

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Snake said:

The weight compared to the Vector will be familiar.

Not a hard transition. I find the SW easier to ride.

I think the chassis helps alot, vs. those early Nytros.  Nothing more fun in big country than a big bore turbo.

2 hours ago, Zambroski said:

:lol: 

Image result for back peddle fast gif

We always wondered who were the best riders between the XC and SX racers.  I always leaned toward the XC but, wasn't sure.  Watching the Red Bull race and seeing a washed up, SX racer show the best XC racer in the world how it's done confirmed to me that SX racers are probably at the top.  Herf chased Levi around that 8 mile track for I don't remember how many laps until he finally lost it in a corner and crashed and handed Levi the guaranteed win.

I've met Levi several times over the years.  IMO, he's still the best ambassador to sled racing and the snowmobile sport ever.  Just a great all around guy.

HIGH LEVEL!!!!!

I don't think anybody who ever raced motorsports can ever really shake it.  Even now, all I need to see is a taillight way up ahead of me and my heart starts racing and the switch gets flipped.  Only to reach them and it's some two upper and his family...or somebody like Ben. :lol: I go through mixed emotions about my successful chase down.

Levi was super friendly, down to earth, and a couple of my buddies were even flirting with his wife. He took it all in stride, showed us all the bones he had broken, he is one busted up dude.  :lol:. Super nice guy though, no doubt.  As far as racing skill, the mx/sx guys usually have the speed, but the endurance/xc guys have the stamina and versatility to navigate most terrain.  They may not be airing out the 120 ft. Triple, but they’ll keep the same pace until they run out of gas.  I’m old now, miss the racing and I don’t.  Nothinn else to prove, and my body preservation instincts are more important than the 7 dollar trophy.  My bodys not too busted up either, throttle wrist doesn’t bend all the way and my knees could probably use replacing at some point, but no way am I gonna subject myself to the risks that racing present at this point.  Always wanted to do a XC race on a sled, but they just don’t have many events like that here in the northeast.  Done enduros, several years of hare scrambles, many years of motocross and a couple sno-x races.  :bc: 

5 minutes ago, irv said:

IMG_0600 (Large).JPG

Always wanted to try an Apex with the EPS.  Back when I had a new 06 Apex, it was the ultimate Quebec cruiser, but a couple years later, I was ready for a lightweight two stroke for sure.   

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Always loved that color scheme.  :bc:

I'm shocked Yammie hasn't put EPS on the Sidewinder yet.  My brother has an Apex with it and its fucking amazing the difference.   With the sound and performance of that engine it makes it an extremely fun trail sled.  

If you like how it rides you could try to lengthen the limiter a bit.   Give a little more weight transfer to ease up steering when lightly into the throttle.  

I believe my limiter is already set at max length but will have to double check? I set it up according to some great info on TY and now just mostly play with compression and  rebound settings occasionally when the trail conditions dictate. My side adjuster is usually on the low setting or one or 2 clicks up. I had my shox all rebuilt/tuned a few years ago and the guy, imo, did an awesome job. Huge improvement in ride quality but still like a far cry from most modern sleds like the R Motion and Axys. 

13 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

I think the chassis helps alot, vs. those early Nytros.  Nothing more fun in big country than a big bore turbo.

Levi was super friendly, down to earth, and a couple of my buddies were even flirting with his wife. He took it all in stride, showed us all the bones he had broken, he is one busted up dude.  :lol:. Super nice guy though, no doubt.  As far as racing skill, the mx/sx guys usually have the speed, but the endurance/xc guys have the stamina and versatility to navigate most terrain.  They may not be airing out the 120 ft. Triple, but they’ll keep the same pace until they run out of gas.  I’m old now, miss the racing and I don’t.  Nothinn else to prove, and my body preservation instincts are more important than the 7 dollar trophy.  My bodys not too busted up either, throttle wrist doesn’t bend all the way and my knees could probably use replacing at some point, but no way am I gonna subject myself to the risks that racing present at this point.  Always wanted to do a XC race on a sled, but they just don’t have many events like that here in the northeast.  Done enduros, several years of hare scrambles, many years of motocross and a couple sno-x races.  :bc: 

Always wanted to try an Apex with the EPS.  Back when I had a new 06 Apex, it was the ultimate Quebec cruiser, but a couple years later, I was ready for a lightweight two stroke for sure.   

Same here but I don't ever recall hearing about any up here anywhere? I certainly wouldn't be entering my Vector in that type of race unless there was a class for it, but that has always interested me as well. I also did a few Hare Scrambles and I enjoyed them a lot but unfortunately my old KTM was never up to the task due to breakage all the time including 2 clutch push rods and a broken rear White Power shock. That bike was fast and had all the latest greatest features on it but outside of those things, it was difficult to ride. 

KTM.jpg

Edited by irv
  • Like 1

Just now, irv said:

Same here but I don't ever recall hearing about any up here anywhere? I certainly wouldn't be entering my Vector in that type of race unless there was a class for it, but that has always interested me as well. I also did a few Hare Scrambles and I enjoyed them a lot but unfortunately my old KTM was never up to the task due to breakage all the time including 2 clutch push rods and a broken rear White Power shock. That bike was fast and all the latest greatest features on it but outside of those things, it was difficult to ride. 

I had an 86 KTM 500 EXC and an 88 KTM 350 EXC,  was doing enduros and hare scrambles then.  I relate, I think I broke that 500 most every time I rode it, including the motor, which cracked right in half at the crankcases.  :lol:  :bc: 

1 minute ago, irv said:

I believe my limiter is already set at max length but will have to double check? I set it up according to some great info on TY and now just mostly play with compression and  rebound settings occasionally when the trail conditions dictate. My side adjuster is usually on the low setting or one or 2 clicks up. I had my shox all rebuilt/tuned a few years ago and the guy, imo, did an awesome job. Huge improvement in ride quality but still like a far cry from most modern sleds like the R Motion and Axys. 

I have sleds including my Winder that I've lengthened the limiter strap.   I'm actually working on a quick adjust version right now.   I see D&D just released a new version that looks pretty sweet.   The limiter strap is the most unused but critical part of the sled set up.   Most people don't touch it because they think its hard to change and or don't understand its effects.  

• Like 2

Just now, DriftBusta said:

I had an 86 KTM 500 EXC and an 88 KTM 350 EXC,  was doing enduros and hare scrambles then.  I relate, I think I broke that 500 most every time I rode it, including the motor, which cracked right in half at the crankcases.  :lol:  :bc: 

Mine was an 85 and I believe my buddy and I had the 1st ones on Ontario back then? I remember vividly doing my buddies crank bearings in his 500 before they went. Bearings in the freezer and the cases in the oven. I know he also had a few issues like mine but I guess that was to be expected being fairly new bikes to the market.

I hated my clutch with a passion! It was the hardest clutch I ever had to pull which, of course, made it difficult to race with. The 2 broken push rods was proof something wasn't quite right with that set up.

1 minute ago, Highmark said:

I have sleds including my Winder that I've lengthened the limiter strap.   I'm actually working on a quick adjust version right now.   I see D&D just released a new version that looks pretty sweet.   The limiter strap is the most unused but critical part of the sled set up.   Most people don't touch it because they think its hard to change and or don't understand its effects.  

How long has that product been out?  :dunno:  I had that remote control arm adjust on my 01 ZR800LE back in the day, and it was a fantastic feature, adjusted it constantly for conditions.  Only problem is it lasted for 500 miles, and then pretty much broke every other weekend after that, which meant I had no front arm shock on the skid, cuz all the oil would drain out.  :lol: 

Just now, irv said:

Mine was an 85 and I believe my buddy and I had the 1st ones on Ontario back then? I remember vividly doing my buddies crank bearings in his 500 before they went. Bearings in the freezer and the cases in the oven. I know he also had a few issues like mine but I guess that was to be expected being fairly new bikes to the market.

I hated my clutch with a passion! It was the hardest clutch I ever had to pull which, of course, made it difficult to race with. The 2 broken push rods was proof something wasn't quite right with that set up.

Bringing back some memories now, oven freezer.  :lol:  :bc: 

• Haha 1

Just now, DriftBusta said:

How long has that product been out?  :dunno:  I had that remote control arm adjust on my 01 ZR800LE back in the day, and it was a fantastic feature, adjusted it constantly for conditions.  Only problem is it lasted for 500 miles, and then pretty much broke every other weekend after that, which meant I had no front arm shock on the skid, cuz all the oil would drain out.  :lol: 

Far as I know just released.   There are a few others out on the market as well.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Highmark said:

I agree with that statement. Many/most don't play with/adjust anything anymore. As far as dumping any more money into my sled, I think I am done with that as I am hoping to purchase a newer one someday. Thanks for the info/pic though. :bc:

Just now, irv said:

I agree with that statement. Many/most don't play with/adjust anything anymore. As far as dumping any more money into my sled, I think I am done with that as I am hoping to purchase a newer one someday. Thanks for the info/pic though. :bc:

Yeah that's a bit pricey but looks like it could move from sled to sled on some models.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Edmo said:

I have a couple riding buds that still ride the apex’s. They love that sled and are dying for Yammi to come out with something new.

FB17BF96-6DD2-4E38-BADE-760DB70418B0.png

The engine is super sweet for sure! The reliability/dependability is something that is very important to me and likely why I haven't upgraded yet. Easy, once a year oil/filter change and that's about it. Turn key and go and know you stand a real good chance it is going to bring you back home again. 

Just now, irv said:

The engine is super sweet for sure! The reliability/dependability is something that is very important to me and likely why I haven't upgraded yet. Easy, once a year oil/filter change and that's about it. Turn key and go and know you stand a real good chance it is going to bring you back home again. 

I had an 07 and HATED the trail manners.   Not sure what year my bothers is.....one of the last years made and the PS absolutely changes the sled.  

For a while the low mile used ones really held their value.   Think they've come down a bit since.

Edited by Highmark
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tickle Shits said:

I like the reliability of a 4 stroke. But after a while on one I think I’d always rather have a 2 stroke over a 4 stroke at the same hp level.  So the answer was a cat 2 stroke. 

I heard lots of issues with the 2020 800 cats!!!!!

• Haha 1