Check your account email address ×

First ride 2020 Polaris Indy 850 137.

• Platinum Contributing Member

Got about 300 miles on it in a couple days in the UP and Iron County, Wisconsin.  

So far the sleds performance has 100% met my expectations.   Ergonomics is outstanding, ride is outstanding (we did not hit much for rough trails), handling is as expected and is very good even with it set up for more of a playful feel.   We had another sled identical to mine, 2 800 Etec's in the group and a 17 144 Assault 800 as well.    No lake but plenty of long RR bed pulls to play on.   The 2020's were obviously still in break in mode and didn't expect much difference over the other sleds.   There were times pending track and rider (some larger than others) that would make the difference on which would pull away.   Generally the 850's had a slight advantage over the Doo's but the piped and clutched Assault was on a different level.   It was kicking everyone's ass.  Only the 850's were not studded but on the loose snow of the trails I'm not sure it was making a huge difference especially on the higher speed roll on runs.

Clutching on the 850 is really good.   For the vast majority of riders nothing more is needed.   I prefer a bit more backshift however and will make some changes soon.  I do think the sled was waking up a bit as the trip come to an end.   Overall I'd give the sled a 9 out of 10 for meeting my expectations.  

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Highmark said:

Got about 300 miles on it in a couple days in the UP and Iron County, Wisconsin.  

So far the sleds performance has 100% met my expectations.   Ergonomics is outstanding, ride is outstanding (we did not hit much for rough trails), handling is as expected and is very good even with it set up for more of a playful feel.   We had another sled identical to mine, 2 800 Etec's in the group and a 17 144 Assault 800 as well.    No lake but plenty of long RR bed pulls to play on.   The 2020's were obviously still in break in mode and didn't expect much difference over the other sleds.   There were times pending track and rider (some larger than others) that would make the difference on which would pull away.   Generally the 850's had a slight advantage over the Doo's but the piped and clutched Assault was on a different level.   It was kicking everyone's ass.  Only the 850's were not studded but on the loose snow of the trails I'm not sure it was making a huge difference especially on the higher speed roll on runs.

Clutching on the 850 is really good.   For the vast majority of riders nothing more is needed.   I prefer a bit more backshift however and will make some changes soon.  I do think the sled was waking up a bit as the trip come to an end.   Overall I'd give the sled a 9 out of 10 for meeting my expectations.  

The AXYS has converted another one! :bc: I read alot about the assaults and some say the reason it is so fast is because of the tipped rails. :dunno: But damn does it run good. I am definitely going to snow check an 850 this spring, I just hope they dont axe the Switchback with the XC suspension before I do. 

4 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Poo has had the clutching down pretty well for the masses for years.  Hard to find anybody to deny that.  Upshifting is all that matters for most.  Most don't even know how any of it works anyway.

To be fair one day I had my son bring along my Sidewinder so we could switch back and forth.   Honestly on those types of trails I'd likely ride it over the Assault.   I'm not taking away anything from the Assault as it's as good and probably the best all around trail sled as I've ever been on however.....I'm an acceleration guy at heart and the Sidewinder's raw power and acceleration is as addictive to me as meth is to a tweaker.   Its amazing how much less acceleration the others had compared to the Sidewinder even in the 240 tune where it can't pull enough RPM (clutched for 300).   Bump it to 300 and its as if the others have the brake on.  :bc:

Edited by Highmark

Just now, Zambroski said:

Poo has had the clutching down pretty well for the masses for years.  Hard to find anybody to deny that.  Upshifting is all that matters for most.  Most don't even know how any of it works anyway.

Its very close stock and to most will love it.   I just like a sled to be very snappy for the trails of Northern, Wi where most of my miles will be put on with that sled. 

1 minute ago, Highmark said:

Its very close stock and to most will love it.   I just like a sled to be very snappy for the trails of Northern, Wi where most of my miles will be put on with that sled. 

A 3 pack of derlin washers in the secondary should do the trick.  It will get the back shift very close to where you want it. 

Just now, Highmark said:

To be fair one day I had my son bring along my Sidewinder so we could switch back and forth.   Honestly on those types of trails I'd likely ride it over the Assault.   I'm not taking away anything from the Assault as it's as good and probably the best all around trail sled as I've ever been on however.....I'm an acceleration guy at heart and the Sidewinder's acceleration is as addictive to me as meth is to a tweaker.   Its amazing how much less acceleration the others had compared to the Sidewinder even in the 240 tune where it can't pull enough RPM (clutched for 300).   Bump it to 300 and its as if the others have the brake on.  :bc:

I can't remember how many pages and pages...and pages of laughter we all got when the Anys guys were saying how their new 800's were competitive with the turbos.  Some of the videos were just awesome...if you weren't one that thought the 2s was going to legitimately compete with the turbos.  

I don't understand some people's desire to compare two different animals.  "But it's quicker off da line!!"  :lol: 

• Haha 1

Just now, AKIQPilot said:

A 3 pack of derlin washers in the secondary should do the trick.  It will get the back shift very close to where you want it. 

:bc:   

Just now, Zambroski said:

I can't remember how many pages and pages...and pages of laughter we all got when the Anys guys were saying how their new 800's were competitive with the turbos.  Some of the videos were just awesome...if you weren't one that thought the 2s was going to legitimately compete with the turbos.  

I don't understand some people's desire to compare two different animals.  "But it's quicker off da line!!"  :lol: 

This is like you thinking your chick motor sled will hang with an 800 anywhere :lol:

• Haha 1

Just now, f7ben said:

This is like you thinking your chick motor sled will hang with an 800 anywhere :lol:

What's the delay then?  Find your "god sled" and come show me.  I can go back and find all the excuses so, save those.  :lol2:

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Traction being anywhere near equal its not a contest.   A race studded (chisels/picks) 600 can give a Sidewinder a fit in 500' if set up right. 

My Sidewinder suspension wise is set up for transfer so it hooks pretty good and wicked fast up to 100 mph.  The turbo sounds are addictive too.      

Edited by Highmark

Just now, Highmark said:

Traction being anywhere near equal its not a contest.   A race studded (chisels/picks) 600 can give a Sidewinder a fit in 500' if set up right.  

There's a guy I've ridden with up here with a stock Cat turbo.  No studs...no nothing.  It's not a very good trail sled and honestly, he's not a very good rider but, when watching him race a couple of retards on their "quick sleds" on the lake....it was funny as fuck.  Sure, they jumped out first but, as soon as he got spun up with traction.  Well.....

:lol: 

7 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

I like the roller bearing :bc: 

9 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

When is the race?  You have anything to ride in this race?  

What race? He said he sx sled would hang with modern 800/850 sleds for 500' or to 60 or some such nonsense

3 minutes ago, Anler said:

I like the roller bearing :bc: 

I would think either may require a bit stiffer spring in the primary or less tip weight.   If its the binding of the compression spring that is also being relieved then the up-shift might be quicker as well.  The thickness of them might overcome that.  

Edited by Highmark

Just now, Highmark said:

I would think either may require a bit stiffer spring in the primary or less tip weight.   If its the binding of the compression spring that is being relieved then the up-shift might be quicker as well.  

I am going to find out Thursday. :bc:  I made some clutching and driveline mods that are supposed to bring out the best. Only one of the recommended changes I didnt make because it was too much of a PITA for the reported 3mph top end increase. 

32 minutes ago, Anler said:

The AXYS has converted another one! :bc: I read alot about the assaults and some say the reason it is so fast is because of the tipped rails. :dunno: But damn does it run good. I am definitely going to snow check an 850 this spring, I just hope they dont axe the Switchback with the XC suspension before I do. 

Been a while since I've paid close attention but in the IQ chassis, the Switchbacks would outrun the 121s due to the shallower approach angle.

That and the tipped rails reduce "lug flick" haha

1 minute ago, Anler said:

I am going to find out Thursday. :bc:  I made some clutching and driveline mods that are supposed to bring out the best. Only one of the recommended changes I didnt make because it was too much of a PITA for the reported 3mph top end increase. 

What change was that?

Just now, Matt said:

Been a while since I've paid close attention but in the IQ chassis, the Switchbacks would outrun the 121s due to the shallower approach angle.

That and the tipped rails reduce "lug flick" haha

Approach angle is king for speed and getting on top of the snow.

4 minutes ago, f7ben said:

What race? He said he sx sled would hang with modern 800/850 sleds for 500' or to 60 or some such nonsense

"What race?"  Why are you making stuff up now?  Is this BarbieHands?

Just show up with your skilz and put it all to rest.  I can admit when I'm wrong...or beat.  

:lol: 

• Haha 2

Just now, Highmark said:

What change was that?

The IQ chain tensioner is the old roller style. All of the racer guys have done that mod and they say its good for 3mph on top. But you have to drill out the footwell rivets to get the damn chaincase cover off. Not that big of a deal i guess if you have the time but I am not a top end guy so I dont really give a fuck if it does 109 instead of 106. If thats what I wanted i am on the wrong sled.