Check your account email address ×

***Official BBQ / Smoker Thread***

3 minutes ago, Roosting said:

How does that work out for sandwich meat?

Thinking of getting a big turkey tittie for lunch fixins

I just picked up a slicer for that reason.  We spend about $30 a week on samwich meats. This 10lb breast was $15. I'm not sure how many lbs of meat we'll get but we've already had a meal and there's still a lot of meat left, lol

Anyone here try freezing leftover turkey meat sliced for sandwiches?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ckf said:

I just picked up a slicer for that reason.  We spend about $30 a week on samwich meats. This 10lb breast was $15. I'm not sure how many lbs of meat we'll get but we've already had a meal and there's still a lot of meat left, lol

Anyone here try freezing leftover turkey meat sliced for sandwiches?

It gets eaten to fast around here. I would get the vacuum sealer like mentioned already. The wife likes to put in leftover chunks when she makes a salad. You should do a whole chicken and bone in turkey breast at the same time. The method for both is about the same. You will be slicing for hours.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i've got a 4lb flat on the traeger and some chicken drumsticks in case it turns out like shit.   I'll wrap the brisket shortly and prob put in on the weber at a steady 250 the on and off rain and wind is making the traeger fluctuate too much.  

• Like 3

On 6/5/2020 at 7:44 PM, Roosting said:

How does that work out for sandwich meat?

Thinking of getting a big turkey tittie for lunch fixins

It worked out very well.  We ended up with a little over 3lbs of sliced turkey plus several more meals of turkey chunks and pieces.  The cheap slicer I picked up on Amazon did OK on the turkey breast and ham that I have put through it so far. It's far from an industrial slicer but it's small, light and easy to clean and stash away when not in use. 

13 minutes ago, Roosting said:

nice.

I got a nice Cabelas 10 inch slicer. it was $100 off 

It has a real blade on it (not serrated) and is sturdy enough to do a good job.  10 minute clean up. It is big though

The smoked turkey is better than anything that I have gotten from a deli. We could have gotten more slicing meat if I had used a filet knife to cut the breast closer to the bone.  Not bad for a frozen $15 bone in turkey breast.

1 minute ago, Woodtick said:

Snake method for the win.

17019760-F971-41D1-8273-DB0D84BD336E.jpeg

Looks good. :bc:

Getting ready to throw this on the pellet grill. 

20200607_170544-01.jpeg

• Like 1

Everyone likes it when I do the bone in turkey breast. I use pecan chips with a little apple chips. Very inexpensive way to feed a bunch of people. Not that many people do them. It’s always pulled pork or brisket at parties. Or shity frozen patty burgers and chicken ass hole hot dogs.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

Everyone likes it when I do the bone in turkey breast. I use pecan chips with a little apple chips. Very inexpensive way to feed a bunch of people. Not that many people do them. It’s always pulled pork or brisket at parties. Or shity frozen patty burgers and chicken ass hole hot dogs.

I'm going to try doing one like pulled pork at some point.  

1 minute ago, ckf said:

I'm going to try doing one like pulled pork at some point.  

When I bring them to my in laws,that’s what we do. Rip them apart with high temp rubber gloves. Let the people add bbq if they want it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

When I bring them to my in laws,that’s what we do. Rip them apart with high temp rubber gloves. Let the people add bbq if they want it.

I saw a video somewhere online where they smoked it for a few hours before putting it in a  pan with butter  a covering the remainder of the cook. Save the juices to put on the turkey after you pull it.  It looked delish.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ckf said:

I saw a video somewhere online where they smoked it for a few hours before putting it in a  pan with butter  a covering the remainder of the cook. Save the juices to put on the turkey after you pull it.  It looked delish.

I wrap mine for the last hour. I also put apple juice in the big hole. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

I wrap mine for the last hour. I also put apple juice in the big hole. 

That sounds good. I sometimesm use apple juice when I wrap my ribs.

6 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

IMG_20200607_174416.jpg

IMG_20200607_174413.jpg

IMG_20200607_173122.jpg

Looks good. How was the brisket?

Steakhouse marinated pot roast. I asked the butcher what they used for steak as it was exceptional the last time we had them. Turns out they cut up chuck eye. 

20200607_173950-01.jpeg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ckf said:

Steakhouse marinated pot roast. I asked the butcher what they used for steak as it was exceptional the last time we had them. Turns out they cut up chuck eye. 

20200607_173950-01.jpeg

I read next store about cooking a pot roast like a brisket on the smoker. I have to try that.