Check your account email address ×

***Official BBQ / Smoker Thread***

On 5/29/2022 at 9:44 PM, Blackstar said:

I'm thinking about a new smoker. The Pitboss has been ok. A few fights with the auger and the old lady burnt the shit out ,of it.

Looking at the new Mahogany 1000 from Pitboss. I want something a bit bigger and with wifi and Bluetooth.

Seeing Z Grills at some places for cheap.

Any opinions?

Customer just bought a top end Traeger and he says its a POS.

love my Pit Boss, think I am going to pry the wallet open and buy the Lockhart soon

IMG_4379-1200x823.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 01mxz800 said:

love my Pit Boss, think I am going to pry the wallet open and buy the Lockhart soon

IMG_4379-1200x823.jpeg

How much does 1 of them run??? Can't even get them in Canada.

$850 at Wally world.  Lots of metal there for not that much money.  I have a pair of Kamado style smokers at my house, but a big ole milk tank that I had my BIL weld into an insulated smoker at our farm.  Big enough to do a few hogs worth of sausage and with the homemade fan/thermocouple setup holds temp super well.   Something in between like that would be sweet for smaller batches, but there are probably enough fire based cooking devices in my yard already.

2 hours ago, Deephaven said:

$850 at Wally world.  Lots of metal there for not that much money.  I have a pair of Kamado style smokers at my house, but a big ole milk tank that I had my BIL weld into an insulated smoker at our farm.  Big enough to do a few hogs worth of sausage and with the homemade fan/thermocouple setup holds temp super well.   Something in between like that would be sweet for smaller batches, but there are probably enough fire based cooking devices in my yard already.

wife thinks I am going to thin my herd if I buy that, between the Pit Boss Pro Series 850 that use now I have several cooking devices including the homemade big cooker and the 60 gal compressor tank smoker build, wife is sadly mistaken to think some are going to disappear:bbq:

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member

First cook. Took the brisket out of the freezer and moved it to the fridge Friday morning. Still a bit frozen last night so I moved to the sink for 4 hours then back in the fridge over night. Stuck the probes in and it’s 35 degrees in the point. Fuck.

777ABCF5-2CC8-43DE-8703-FF884AAFF57C.jpeg

D2840DAA-0CAF-48CD-8DD6-FE06FF9B1500.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ckf said:

I smoked some roast beef yesterday. Pulled at 130⁰ and plan on slicing it this afternoon for sandwiches.

I cooked a steak in my air fryer. Was ready in 7 minutes and was delicious. 

• Like 1

Just now, Steve753 said:

I cooked a steak in my air fryer. Was ready in 7 minutes and was delicious. 

I haven't tried any meat in the air fryer. I did do a grilled cheese that came out great :thumbsup: We almost tried chicken fingers a few weeks ago but ended up using oil in the cast iron pan.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ckf said:

I haven't tried any meat in the air fryer. I did do a grilled cheese that came out great :thumbsup: We almost tried chicken fingers a few weeks ago but ended up using oil in the cast iron pan.

I've got 3 of the dam things now. It's an obsession. 

• Like 1

Bought a new smoker yesterday, got it seasoned last night, doing 2 racks of ribs and a boneless turkey breast today..

IMG_20220626_131100184.jpg

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

Bought a new smoker yesterday, got it seasoned last night, doing 2 racks of ribs and a boneless turkey breast today..

IMG_20220626_131100184.jpg

Nice! What did you get for a smoker?

5 minutes ago, ckf said:

Nice! What did you get for a smoker?

I got an electric Master Built, kinda middle of the road model. Wanted something easier to maintain a consistent temp with the CNY weather swings, like today we are going to have a 30* swing in about 4 hours, big PIA as you know when trying to smoke some meats..

IMG_20220626_133230011.jpg

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

I got an electric Master Built, kinda middle of the road model. Wanted something easier to maintain a consistent temp with the CNY weather swings, like today we are going to have a 30* swing in about 4 hours, big PIA as you know when trying to smoke some meats..

I have the model below that. They hold temp like no other. Wind,rain,below freezing don’t phase them. :bc:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Woodtick said:

I have the model below that. They hold temp like no other. Wind,rain,below freezing don’t phase them. :bc:

That's what I'm hoping! :bc:

1 hour ago, Rigid1 said:

Enjoy Tony :bc:

2 hours ago, Rigid1 said:

looking at the Masterbuilt gravity charcoal grill/smoker

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 01mxz800 said:

looking at the Masterbuilt gravity charcoal grill/smoker

I was gonna buy the charcoal, but my whole issue with coal when I did the "snake method" the raw coal left a sour taste to the meat, and that kinda works on the same idea, raw coal..So I went with the electric, 🤞🤞 

The storm hit you yet??

10 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

I was gonna buy the charcoal, but my whole issue with coal when I did the "snake method" the raw coal left a sour taste to the meat, and that kinda works on the same idea, raw coal..So I went with the electric, 🤞🤞 

The storm hit you yet??

storm just went through dropped temp 20*, could have been 20* cooler earlier as I have been fighting brakes on my Dakota, sweat my ass off

• Like 1