Check your account email address ×

***Official BBQ / Smoker Thread***

1 hour ago, 01mxz800 said:

Got to love after Christmas sales, even the prime rib is 50% off, going on the pellet smoker new years eve:bbq:

20211228_141308.jpg

You should take it back and request Prime meat.  That is choice they then labeled Prime.  Shady as hell.

That being said, still a GREAT price on a choice standing rib roast.

16 hours ago, Deephaven said:

You should take it back and request Prime meat.  That is choice they then labeled Prime.  Shady as hell.

for that price who cares, going to clog my arteries come Saturday

17 hours ago, Deephaven said:

most "prime rib" stores sell is choice but that ones clearly false advertising.  Should be a rib eye roast on the label.  

45 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

Now this is prime...

iQStHNq.jpg

And made a nice NYE dinner

NN3of9I.jpg

jXa8PLf.jpg

...and my "rib" on the prime above is a pet peave, can't stand they do that but have ZERO issues chowing down a rib roast regardless of it's label

nice marbling:thumbsup:

• 1 month later...
  • Platinum Contributing Member

I have a brisket ready for smoking tomorrow. I test fired the smoker last week to make sure everything was working and..... it wasn't. It didn't ignite. No big deal, I'm thinking, it probably needs a cleaning....nope, its the igniter. Just spent an hour screwing with it in the shop and the igniter has failed. Quick search on Amazon, they have them for $22 delivery for tomorrow. Ordered. But it will be here in the afternoon I assume.

I'm guessing I can manually get the fire started and get the smoke rolling.

But this is the push I needed to buy a new smoker.  :nudie:

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I have a brisket ready for smoking tomorrow. I test fired the smoker last week to make sure everything was working and..... it wasn't. It didn't ignite. No big deal, I'm thinking, it probably needs a cleaning....nope, its the igniter. Just spent an hour screwing with it in the shop and the igniter has failed. Quick search on Amazon, they have them for $22 delivery for tomorrow. Ordered. But it will be here in the afternoon I assume.

I'm guessing I can manually get the fire started and get the smoke rolling.

But this is the push I needed to buy a new smoker.  :nudie:

Why I have 3 smokers... Should at least get 1 to work :lol:

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, ckf said:

Are you still liking you charcoal smoker?

Yep, the masterbuilt 1050 has been pretty good. Smoke flavor is night and day different from my pellet grills. It doesn't like the cold weather though. I still use my gmg with the insulated cover for winter cooking.

• Like 1

My first time smoking was about 4-5 years ago. I had no idea! My buddy coached me on prepping my pork butt. He said throw it in at about 5 a.m. get a case of beer start drinking when you feel like it. Oh yeah it was an 18 lb butt. I was up at 4:30 excited as hell, all into smoker. about 11'ish I started drinking...drank all day!! he called, I was so hammered! He didn't explain the meat stall that happens! I don't remember how long it went for but it was a long time. Pretty sure I passed out in the garage. It came out great but I had no idea of meat size (no smart comments) and smoking times! Today I'm a pro, meat in, got my times down pretty good. Still drink beer but not quite as much!

Edited by SHADOSPRIT
  • Like 2

Nice easy one for you folks...These are called "shotgun shells". Take a manicotti shell stuff it with ground sausage and cheese, wrap in bacon. Smoke for 2 hrs. @ 225, then 1/2 hour at 275. brush on BBQ sauce when done. I have made these a few times and keep changing my recipe.  First time I did it I stuffed 1/2 the shell, then put a hunk of mozzarella in the middle, then stuffed the other side of the shell. This time, I mixed ground sausage and cream cheese, stuffed the entire shell. They are good. 14 shells in a pack (2 packs), 3 lbs. of ground sausage, 3-8oz of cream cheese, 3-1lb packs of bacon. First time I was skeptical, made them set them down at a football game, gone in 5 minutes.......ENJOY!!!!!!!

20220220_085338.jpg

20220220_095234.jpg

20211031_131426.jpg

• Like 4

while the Royal Oak  100% charcoal pellets did not give the "over charcoal" flavor, it was a nice not over powering flavor, will stock up on them, pleased with the results, better flavor than wood pellets

Edited by 01mxz800
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...