***Official FSCE daily thread -

ckf

10 minutes ago, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot said:

Amateur night was the place to be back in the day! :usflag: :3gears:

It was a blast!  All I had was my '87 Monte SS, but it was still fun. 14.9 @ 90mph, LOL.   1st thing I would do would be to loosen the bolts on the front side of the catalytic convertor so I could drop it down to bypass it. Eventually I just took it off and uised a crowbar to gut it out, LOL. 

Denny @45th parallel  seems to be having a blast bracket racing at Oxford.  I tried it a few times back in the day too :bc:

15 minutes ago, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot said:

You've been there too eh? :music1: :lol:

Muscle cars of the 80's were just cars without the muscle. We had to do everything we could to get them to even move :lol:  It was embarrassing to loose to a Horizon hatchback turbo.....I've been there too :lmao:  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ckf said:

You aint seen nothing yet from the weather report I saw this AM. Friday and Saturday are supposed to be very hot and humid in the northeast :(

of course, daughters grad party is sat afternoon,  nothing says party down like 96 degrees and humid

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Angry ginger said:

of course, daughters grad party is sat afternoon,  nothing says party down like 96 degrees and humid

Any chance of a sea breeze?

13 minutes ago, CheezusXR8 said:

You gonna have some hot dogs? 

of course,  can't have a summer gathering without dogs.  Odd assortment of food,  daughter wanted mac and cheese and buff chicken wings so we have those along with dogs and salads.  

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

not that i have seen so far,  hopefully people send her money and just bail.  

Downeast Maine is the place to be in New England when weather like this hits. Mitch used to work for a lady that had a cottage on the coast in Stonington. She let him use it whenever he wanted. A bunch of us went up for long weekend of partying once. It was 15 degrees cooler on the coast than it was 5 miles inland. Beautiful area to boot :bc:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Angry ginger said:

of course,  can't have a summer gathering without dogs.  Odd assortment of food,  daughter wanted mac and cheese and buff chicken wings so we have those along with dogs and salads.  

I wasn’t sure if they were approved  on the diet. 

Congrats on getting another one through the system and closer to the door. :bc: 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ckf said:

It was a blast!  All I had was my '87 Monte SS, but it was still fun. 14.9 @ 90mph, LOL.   1st thing I would do would be to loosen the bolts on the front side of the catalytic convertor so I could drop it down to bypass it. Eventually I just took it off and uised a crowbar to gut it out, LOL. 

Denny @45th parallel  seems to be having a blast bracket racing at Oxford.  I tried it a few times back in the day too :bc:

Hey I forgot about Denny. Great guy. I’ve had some great conversations with him a long time ago. Team Ford 

• Like 1

I had a 88 Monte SS but after getting whipped by mustangs I traded it on on a new 90 LX.  What a car that was 

A2557892-5045-4D50-85DE-039F53411CB2.jpeg

Edited by Pete
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Pete said:

Hey I forgot about Denny. Great guy. I’ve had some great conversations with him a long time ago. Team Ford 

Denny is one of the original Hardcore Sledders. Remember the speedo pics :thumb:

20 minutes ago, Pete said:

I had a 88 Monte SS but after getting whipped by mustangs I traded it on on a new 90 LX.  What a car that was 

A2557892-5045-4D50-85DE-039F53411CB2.jpeg

I know the Mustangs were faster, but I was a Chevy guy and didn't care for the looks of the Camaros at the time.   OT had an LX back then and used to go to NE Dragway too. OT had the coupe, not the hatchback like yours.

I was a chevy guy too. The sound alone got me hooked. Factory headers? Whoa. The Monte was heavy and underpowered. It did have a good rear though. Strong 3:73 would chirp second gear. Same rear as the grand national. 

The hop up parts for the mustangs where everywhere. I put a MAC catless system with flow masters. Hurst compe shifter 3:73s Kevlar clutch bigger mass air flow KN filter. It rocked when it would hook up. Fuckin loud. Measure 116 dB about 10 ft away lol

yes I Remember Denny’s Speedo pics. I Remember Rob going 10,000 miles in a Season on a Polaris too. 1998?

Edited by Pete
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ckf said:

Denny is one of the original Hardcore Sledders. Remember the speedo pics :thumb:

I know the Mustangs were faster, but I was a Chevy guy and didn't care for the looks of the Camaros at the time.   OT had an LX back then and used to go to NE Dragway too. OT had the coupe, not the hatchback like yours.

The Camaros weren’t fast. IROC was about the best but more expensive than a mustang. Another reason I went for a mustang. About &14,000 OTD. Sounded great. Looked great Went like hell. 5 speed. I had to have it. Broke the tranny twice as it was the weakest link in the system 

1 hour ago, Pete said:

The Camaros weren’t fast. IROC was about the best but more expensive than a mustang. Another reason I went for a mustang. About &14,000 OTD. Sounded great. Looked great Went like hell. 5 speed. I had to have it. Broke the tranny twice as it was the weakest link in the system 

I think my SS was 12,900 out the door. I bought it in '88 as a leftover '87. If my memory is correct the '88 and 87 were the exact same car with no changes. They just wanted one more year for Nascar.  

6 hours ago, ckf said:

They were a nice car. Poor man's gnx.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

My uncle had an iroc auto. Nice looking car. Wouldn't spin the gatorbacks!

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, awful knawful said:

Not sure. Looked great. Sad performance.

80's "performance" was a joke anyways.  Outside of a porsche or a ferrari which were relatively slow but at least have stood the test of time in design it was a wasteland from the mid 70's to the early 90's of automotive design.  I look at C4 corvettes and cringe now but thought they were so cool back then when my mom had one.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ckf said:

I think my SS was 12,900 out the door. I bought it in '88 as a leftover '87. If my memory is correct the '88 and 87 were the exact same car with no changes. They just wanted one more year for Nascar.  

Yes exactly. Then came the lumina 

1 hour ago, steve from amherst said:

What was it , 185 HP ?

I think they were in the low 200's. My 305 in the SS with the Quadrobog carb was 180.  My boss at the time ordered a stripped IROC with a 5 speed and it was definitely faster than my SS. He was also an old tuner that knew how to hop things up. I can't remember everything he did to it at the time, but he got it down in to the 12's with slicks. I know he bought an aftermarket stick shift. and brodix heads.