Check your account email address ×

***Official FSCE daily thread -

ckf

• Gold Member
10 hours ago, ckf said:

Nice shot Brad. How much longer will you be in Alaska?

I'm not certain but I'm guessing I'll be home right after Thanksgiving. Once December hits the corporate office will start getting some sternly worded texts and phone calls about getting me off this boat.

• Haha 1

I went out for a great ride albeit being a little chilly in the morning. I was high falutin with Elvis ( Olympic figure skater) and Dean (Tori Spellings husband) out on our trails and had a blast. Those guys can fkn drive and the oh shit handle came in handy

20201101_075327.jpg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, ckf said:

25 degrees and 3" of snow.

Supposed to get up in the teens starting tomorrow and remain there for the next 4-5 days, or as far as the weather channel will go? 

I put snowy's on my truck and my son's GF's car last week and was going to do my son's and my wife's car soon but I think I will hold off for a bit now. I still haven't put my boat away nor pulled out my sleds but I hope to do that tomorrow or Thursday? Put front brakes on my truck last week as well, and also put a purge solenoid valve on my son's car because of the continuing stalling/stumbling problem but still no luck as it stalled on him 2 days later. :wall:  

Going to tackle more leaf's today before the showers, hopefully, as I have a pile yet to do but at least the weather looks favorable if I don't get at them today. 

55 minutes ago, irv said:

Supposed to get up in the teens starting tomorrow and remain there for the next 4-5 days, or as far as the weather channel will go? 

I put snowy's on my truck and my son's GF's car last week and was going to do my son's and my wife's car soon but I think I will hold off for a bit now. I still haven't put my boat away nor pulled out my sleds but I hope to do that tomorrow or Thursday? Put front brakes on my truck last week as well, and also put a purge solenoid valve on my son's car because of the continuing stalling/stumbling problem but still no luck as it stalled on him 2 days later. :wall:  

Going to tackle more leaf's today before the showers, hopefully, as I have a pile yet to do but at least the weather looks favorable if I don't get at them today. 

The Escape is at the shop now getting front brakes, oil change and an inspection. We never took the winter treads off due to the pandemic. On a good note we only put 7000 miles on the car since they were put on new last fall.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ckf said:

The Escape is at the shop now getting front brakes, oil change and an inspection. We never took the winter treads off due to the pandemic. On a good note we only put 7000 miles on the car since they were put on new last fall.

cost yourself a winter with those snows though even with low miles on summer pavement.  Get yourself a set of takeoffs so you can swap them yourself.  Best thing i did with the jeep was finally get a second set of rims.   Cost the boy $800 over the last 3 years in insurance surcharge for when he took it off the road with slick summers on it.  

12 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

cost yourself a winter with those snows though even with low miles on summer pavement.  Get yourself a set of takeoffs so you can swap them yourself.  Best thing i did with the jeep was finally get a second set of rims.   Cost the boy $800 over the last 3 years in insurance surcharge for when he took it off the road with slick summers on it.  

We definitely need winter tires up here. There are weeks at a time that some of the main roads are snow covered. I'll try to find some rims for next year.

10 minutes ago, ckf said:

We definitely need winter tires up here. There are weeks at a time that some of the main roads are snow covered. I'll try to find some rims for next year.

i get that.   the jeep was terrible without them being such a short wheelbase.  the boys accident happened before he got the winters on.  

Edited by Angry ginger

5 hours ago, ckf said:

As AG alluded to, snowies in the summer is not a good thing. Definitely get yourself some rims to put them on. My new HWY/road tires cost me $1220 and I think my snowies were around $800 a few years ago. Not cheap items to be abusing unnecessarily, as you likely already know.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ckf said:

We have Toyo Celsius tires on the Impaler and Exploder.  Love them.  No need to change tires and good performance in the snow.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • Platinum Contributing Member
On 11/15/2020 at 1:40 AM, Kivalo said:

Doing what?

First went there in 1990 to work for Inlet Salmon which is no longer in business  Ended up running the dock crane unloading the local 32’ fishing boats and tenders.  Went back in 1993 and 94 to work there.  Great fishing year but we got slammed in short increments so we had more time off than normal.  When I had time off I helped a local name Ralph Robertson build his home.  Ralph and his brother were commercial fisherman in the summer and big game guides in the fall and spring.  We flew a super cub out of Naknek airport 65 nautical miles to their remote hunting camp.  I helped them prepare and also did some hunting.  Shot a decent caribou per photo.  We also spent quite a bit of time fishing when we had time off including time at Katmai National Park and watching brown bears at Brooks Falls.  

Also spent quite a bit of time in Ketchikan from September - November working for Silver Lining Seafood.

A61FBDEA-5F02-4205-8C7A-EDA828E4C480.jpeg

Edited by SnowRider
  • Like 2

• Gold Member
31 minutes ago, SnowRider said:

First went there in 1990 to work for Inlet Salmon which is no longer in business  Ended up running the dock crane unloading the local 32’ fishing boats and tenders.  Went back in 1994 and 95 to work there.  Great fishing year but we got slammed in short increments so we had more time off than normal.  When I had time off I helped a local name Ralph Robertson build his home.  Ralph and his brother were commercial fisherman in the summer and big game guides in the fall and spring.  We flew a super cub out of Naknek airport 65 nautical miles to their remote hunting camp.  I helped them prepare and also did some hunting.  Shot a decent caribou per photo.  We also spent quite a bit of time fishing when we had time off including time at Katmai National Park and watching brown bears at Brooks Falls.  

Also spent quite a bit of time in Ketchikan from September - November working for Silver Lining Seafood.

A61FBDEA-5F02-4205-8C7A-EDA828E4C480.jpeg

Bad ass, man!  :bc:

My captain keeps his personal fishing boat in Naknek and I was there not two weeks ago filling the air force station in King Salmon. We tried but were unable to bag a moose on the Yukon this season but one of the other tugs in the fleet did and gave us quite a bit. Moose is damn good eating if you ask me!

Edit: is caribou any good?

Edited by Kivalo
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Kivalo said:

My captain keeps his personal fishing boat in Naknek and I was there not two weeks ago filling the air force station in King Salmon. We tried but were unable to bag a moose on the Yukon this season but one of the other tugs in the fleet did and gave us quite a bit. Moose is damn good eating if you ask me!

Yep, I shot a few yrs back. Ate that sombitch all winter.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Kivalo said:

I think Caribou is the best meat on the planet.  When I was there the locals were allowed 6/year so it was like their beef.  At the camp we’d shoot yearlings and hang them in the cave in cheesecloth.  Literally slice some dry aged yearling Caribou and fry it .  Tender as butter.  Ralph was about 6’1” 300 lbs and his wife was a little Chinese gal about 100lbs but she made the absolute best Moose ribs.  Moose is great also.  I don’t recall her exact recipe but I do remember the process took more than a day to prepare and cook the ribs.  He also set me up the best smoked salmon I’ve ever had.  Brought back 20-25 lbs and shared with my hometown.  Still get people asking me about it.  

Halibut is the best fish IMO.  Every August Pen-air would have a huge pot luck in the King Salmon hanger.  Locals would prepare dishes and canneries would donate various fish and meat.  Talk about some great food washed down with Rainier.  

Partied pretty hard on the beach.  Also liked Fisherman’s and the Red Dog. Believe we got pizza at Hadfiel’s.

Pretty cool you’re up there and on a boat.  Not many people can say they’ve spent time in Naknek. 

• Like 2