Check your account email address ×

Cars that give a Boner

15 hours ago, Steve753 said:

Would like one of these as well

87 Buick Grand National GNX

Screenshot_20240331_184216.jpg

i was working at a buick dealer in those days. did pdi and test drove many of those. we also had the anniversary trans am with the same drivetrain. also that engine was in a few rivieras

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
24 minutes ago, sleepybrew said:

i was working at a buick dealer in those days. did pdi and test drove many of those. we also had the anniversary trans am with the same drivetrain. also that engine was in a few rivieras

I've had an 86 GN. But the 87 GNX is the coveted one. Were the rivs and T/A turbos? Same hp as GNX?

8 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

I've had an 86 GN. But the 87 GNX is the coveted one. Were the rivs and T/A turbos? Same hp as GNX?

yes, same engine. white trans am was bad ass. local cops confiscated one, made it the DARE car. the riviera may have been a little slower but had the same engine

The Trans Am celebrated its 20th anniversary in 1989, and Pontiac responded with a special gift to fans: an anniversary edition with a turbocharged 3.8-liter V-6 beneath the hood. Last seen powering Buick's sizzling Grand National and GNX, the 250-horse-power turbo -- cranking out an imposing 340 pounds -- feet of torque-sliced 0-60 mph acceleration times to an astounding five seconds or less. Rollicking action was back in style, so long as a customer was willing to pay $10,000 more than GTA price for the privilege. Roughly 1,500 Trans Am devotees did exactly that.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, sleepybrew said:

The Trans Am celebrated its 20th anniversary in 1989, and Pontiac responded with a special gift to fans: an anniversary edition with a turbocharged 3.8-liter V-6 beneath the hood. Last seen powering Buick's sizzling Grand National and GNX, the 250-horse-power turbo -- cranking out an imposing 340 pounds -- feet of torque-sliced 0-60 mph acceleration times to an astounding five seconds or less. Rollicking action was back in style, so long as a customer was willing to pay $10,000 more than GTA price for the privilege. Roughly 1,500 Trans Am devotees did exactly that.

Well dang I did not know that. Says 250hp. GNX was 276 on books. Was actually quite a few more.

:bc:

Edited by Steve753

13 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

Well dang I did not know that. Says 250hp. GNX was 276 on books. Was actually quite a few more.

closer to a non gnx version. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sleepybrew said:

Our local dealer had 6 of them on the lot. We took one for a test drive, it ran ok, but the factory paint on all 6 was terrible, so I walked away. You would think they painted them with a roller. Hard to beat the Japs and Koreans for paint quality, and fit and finish. 

Edited by Frostynuts

6 minutes ago, Frostynuts said:

Our local dealer had 6 of them on the lot. We took one for a test drive, it ran ok, but the factory paint on all 6 was terrible, so I walked away. You would think they painted them with a roller. Hard to bet the Japs and Koreans for paint quality, and fit and finish. 

yeah take out the turbo and it was just a g body. not the best handling chassis. for what we had they were a nice car. velour seats and such. if you were especially unlucky you got one with a 307 olds engine. yuck 140-150 hp. my sled has more than that

Edited by sleepybrew
  • Like 1

imagine the guys at gm when they dynoed this crap. " well boys , we did it, 148hp . let's call it a night" 

How much horsepower does a 307 Oldsmobile motor have?

The 307 "Y" produced 148 hp (110 kW) and 250 lb⋅ft (340 N⋅m) in 1980-1984 models and 140 hp (100 kW) and 250 lb⋅ft (340 N⋅m) in 1985-1990s. All LV2s feature a 4-barrel carburetor. Y-version applications: 1980–1985 Buick Lesabre.
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Frostynuts said:

Our local dealer had 6 of them on the lot. We took one for a test drive, it ran ok, but the factory paint on all 6 was terrible, so I walked away. You would think they painted them with a roller. Hard to bet the Japs and Koreans for paint quality, and fit and finish. 

6 GNX?

1 minute ago, poopooforme said:

I'm partial but this has been mine since 1994.  

IMG_20120412_180157-2.jpg

montewithshoes.jpg

Those were very nice. The fender lines were very Corvette like.

52 minutes ago, Doug said:

oh i remember. my buddy called it "extended pedal travel" when the pedal hinged to the floor. felt like it went forever and it was all power. the big boats with big engines burned lots of rubber. ate lots of gas

• Gold Member
23 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

I've almost built one of these a ton of times, but I keep adding up what I'd have in it.  Then these guys beat me to it.

ringbrothers_de_tomaso_mangusta_07.jpg

Is that the gas monkey guys Pantera?

Just now, 800renegaderider said:

Is that the gas monkey guys Pantera?

Ring Brothers Pantera.  A little more complicated for me to build one as I don't fit in a stock one.  I have driven one with a tall man kit on it though and fit in that just fine.

• Like 1

• Gold Member
2 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

Ring Brothers Pantera.  A little more complicated for me to build one as I don't fit in a stock one.  I have driven one with a tall man kit on it though and fit in that just fine.

Cool car. I remember seeing that car before maybe on the show I can’t remember but I just looked it up and ya like you said ring brothers built it but Rawlings owns it now unless he sold it. It was an old article. I can’t imagine a Sasquatch fits good in many sports cars lol.

6 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

when we were young there was a mountain we partied on. the trail up was rugged and there was a house at the bottom. we were going by, i was in the bed of a truck . i looked over, said "holy shit , it's a pantera! " the others were like what is a pantera? are you kidding? there it was, pantera on blocks. i guess folks tried to buy it but were told no. my buddy took me to a family bbq once. took me behind the house, 63 split window corvette rotting in to the ground. i asked why his uncle didn't sell it. he wanted no one else to have it. they eventually drug it out of the dirt, junk

Always loved these. I remember when they first came out.  Guy had one down at Woodward. Pulled into the gas station and had a huge crowd around it. He let all the kids sit in it have their pictures taken. Pretty cool of him. 

3DC81CCA-F9ED-402C-ACB2-AAA702273BD4.jpeg

4CC2866E-FBCD-4697-829F-68B2F514B154.jpeg

3BEB225F-430B-4FDC-8443-FDB0BD769339.jpeg

• Like 1