Jump to content

Lutsen Resort Fire


Recommended Posts

Saw it on the local news (Rochester) feed this morning.  Anytime a fire breaks out at a Northwoods resort or bar, it sure seems to be suspect.  Add to that, a record year for shit weather and it's even more suspicious.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Bontz said:

Saw it on the local news (Rochester) feed this morning.  Anytime a fire breaks out at a Northwoods resort or bar, it sure seems to be suspect.  Add to that, a record year for shit weather and it's even more suspicious.  

I guy hates to automatically get suspicious but it has happened quite a few times. A couple establishments around here have had that happen (Carlsona Beach specifically)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Did the ski hill own that one??  Not sure they did - if they did, that would be quite suspicious considering the Mogul’s burned not even a year ago now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Mag6240 said:

Did the ski hill own that one??  Not sure they did - if they did, that would be quite suspicious considering the Mogul’s burned not even a year ago now.

No, different owners.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Old buildings, old heating systems, old fireplaces + chimneys...add in the winter cold and bad things happen when you try to keep warm....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/6/2024 at 4:49 PM, Mag6240 said:

Did the ski hill own that one??  Not sure they did - if they did, that would be quite suspicious considering the Mogul’s burned not even a year ago now.

Moguls isn't the one that burned last year, that was Papa Charlies...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, D-rail said:

Moguls isn't the one that burned last year, that was Papa Charlies...

Yeah that was a mistake on my part.  I knew that, not sure why I said Mogul’s.

Ate at Blue Finn last night and the bartender said not many had been staying there for a few years since the new owner took over, pretty much pissed off a lot of people.  He wanted to rebuild and is the only one who is happy about the fire… just “speculation” at this point but awfully suspicious.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/10/2024 at 8:00 AM, Mag6240 said:

Yeah but two large buildings burning COMPLETELY to the ground within 5 miles of each other??  
Something doesn’t smell right.

Unhappy customer, competitor, disgruntled employee, local pyro ....

Seen it more than once.... Pyro was a member of the Fire 🚒🔥 Department..... He liked the excitement....

Edited by ICG
Spelling
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ICG said:

Unhappy customer, competitor, disgruntled employee, local pyro ....

Seen it more than once.... Pyro was a member of the Fire 🚒🔥 Department..... He liked the excitement....

Graduated with guy that did that!

He would set fires then be first one on scene!!dad was fire chief at one time!!

actual prettty good friends in high school.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Gold Member
4 minutes ago, X2700 said:

Graduated with guy that did that!

He would set fires then be first one on scene!!dad was fire chief at one time!!

actual prettty good friends in high school.

20 year volunteer FD member here and I am pretty sure we would have a pillow case party for that guy before we turned him in.  If anyone was hurt or killed because of his pyro I hope they threw away the key!!!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Unfortunately,  there have been two+  local Junior Fire Fighters that enjoyed the extra action.... Mansions, old factories..... the list went on...

The abuse was hostilities towards the mansion owner.... He was accused of the crime..... Ultimately, they found the junior firefighter had put a couch up against 3rd floor dormer..  While the fire damage was minor, the water damage destroyed three floors.... The water from the third floor ran down the curved stairs like a river . .  .....

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
On 2/11/2024 at 9:09 AM, ICG said:

Unhappy customer, competitor, disgruntled employee, local pyro ....

Seen it more than once.... Pyro was a member of the Fire 🚒🔥 Department..... He liked the excitement....

You had one, too?  I'm a retired Chief, and one of my predecessors was able to get out from under a business that was losing money when a fire conveniently gutted it.

One of my regional fire school seminars was taught by Jamie Novak, a very respected fire investigator.  I think that was the most interesting class I ever had as a firefighter.  

One day of the class was all classroom.  As we were in class, the local fire department was at an old farmhouse, setting each room on fire using a different method.  The next day, we had to go to the house and figure out how each room started.  In my assigned room, it was just charred remains.  Jamie suggested that we wash down the room with water from a fire truck conveniently located just outside.  Once we did that, the pattern of a liquid accelerator was clearly visible on the floor, and we were able to piece together what happened without any further assistance.  After we'd covered all of the rooms, we went back to the classroom where he showed us video of each fire.

I learned so much from Jamie, that was a great experience.  After that, I've been to several fires that made me suspicious and where we called the state to investigate.  Arson is a lot more common than people realize, especially when money is somehow involved.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, p51mstg said:

You had one, too?  I'm a retired Chief, and one of my predecessors was able to get out from under a business that was losing money when a fire conveniently gutted it.

One of my regional fire school seminars was taught by Jamie Novak, a very respected fire investigator.  I think that was the most interesting class I ever had as a firefighter.  

One day of the class was all classroom.  As we were in class, the local fire department was at an old farmhouse, setting each room on fire using a different method.  The next day, we had to go to the house and figure out how each room started.  In my assigned room, it was just charred remains.  Jamie suggested that we wash down the room with water from a fire truck conveniently located just outside.  Once we did that, the pattern of a liquid accelerator was clearly visible on the floor, and we were able to piece together what happened without any further assistance.  After we'd covered all of the rooms, we went back to the classroom where he showed us video of each fire.

I learned so much from Jamie, that was a great experience.  After that, I've been to several fires that made me suspicious and where we called the state to investigate.  Arson is a lot more common than people realize, especially when money is somehow involved.

It is really amazing how those guys can find clues to figure it out. My dad's garage burned in 2010 and the fire Marshall found the cord from a box fan and could tell that it shorted out.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, p51mstg said:

You had one, too?  I'm a retired Chief, and one of my predecessors was able to get out from under a business that was losing money when a fire conveniently gutted it.

One of my regional fire school seminars was taught by Jamie Novak, a very respected fire investigator.  I think that was the most interesting class I ever had as a firefighter.  

One day of the class was all classroom.  As we were in class, the local fire department was at an old farmhouse, setting each room on fire using a different method.  The next day, we had to go to the house and figure out how each room started.  In my assigned room, it was just charred remains.  Jamie suggested that we wash down the room with water from a fire truck conveniently located just outside.  Once we did that, the pattern of a liquid accelerator was clearly visible on the floor, and we were able to piece together what happened without any further assistance.  After we'd covered all of the rooms, we went back to the classroom where he showed us video of each fire.

I learned so much from Jamie, that was a great experience.  After that, I've been to several fires that made me suspicious and where we called the state to investigate.  Arson is a lot more common than people realize, especially when money is somehow involved.

Back in the hood, one of our neighbors was a real headscratcher. 

Decent house (1 income), top of the line tricked out truck, all the toys, biggest toy hauler they made, tricked out Rzr, etc.  

That toy hauler sat tight to the house the entire time it wasn't in use.

The one night it happened to burn to the ground, it was in the middle of the back yard with the Rzr and maybe a motor cycle in it.

His insurance company stopped over to see if we noticed anything unusual that night.  I mentioned that was the only time it was every parked there, guy just shrugged his shoulders and left.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/30/2024 at 1:16 PM, p51mstg said:

You had one, too?  I'm a retired Chief, and one of my predecessors was able to get out from under a business that was losing money when a fire conveniently gutted it.

One of my regional fire school seminars was taught by Jamie Novak, a very respected fire investigator.  I think that was the most interesting class I ever had as a firefighter.  

One day of the class was all classroom.  As we were in class, the local fire department was at an old farmhouse, setting each room on fire using a different method.  The next day, we had to go to the house and figure out how each room started.  In my assigned room, it was just charred remains.  Jamie suggested that we wash down the room with water from a fire truck conveniently located just outside.  Once we did that, the pattern of a liquid accelerator was clearly visible on the floor, and we were able to piece together what happened without any further assistance.  After we'd covered all of the rooms, we went back to the classroom where he showed us video of each fire.

I learned so much from Jamie, that was a great experience.  After that, I've been to several fires that made me suspicious and where we called the state to investigate.  Arson is a lot more common than people realize, especially when money is somehow involved.

A few years back the bowling alley in St Peter, MN burned down.  It was all over the local news that morning.  We had good snow that year and the trail went right by there so I made a quick spin down there to investigate.  It was easy to park in the ditch and watch from a distance on a sled. 

Ended up talking with the owner (who set the fire) and his former partner (who wanted out) while they were still putting out the fire.  I felt really bad for them, total loss.  Then on the news later it came out he actually started the fire.  It's crazy what people are capable of where you or I or any normal person would never even think to do that.

https://www.mankatofreepress.com/news/local_news/update-bowling-alley-arsonist-sentenced-to-jail-restitution/article_56b0d482-b7e3-11eb-b7b1-2783912c6a8d.html

Quote

Selders also was ordered to pay almost $77,000 in restitution. Nearly $73,000 will go to the city of St. Peter, which removed the burned debris from the property.

Selders co-owned KingPins with a woman who had ended her romantic relationship with Selders and told him she wanted out of the business a few days before the fire, according to court documents.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Trying to pay the bills, lol



×
×
  • Create New...