Check your account email address ×

would you sled with retards?

I'm too old to need a safety certificate - At least in MN if you were a certain age when they started requiring that for minors you were grandfathered in.

1 hour ago, DriftBusta said:

I stopped snowmobiling with retards years ago. I can remember a time in 1995 I got a new XCR600, which was a pretty bad ass machine at the time. A buddy of mine and another guy I didn’t know make plans to go up to Woodford VT for the weekend, and leave at four.  I get to his house, and they’ve already downed a 12 pack, and my buddies buddies sled was half torn apart. Great.  We finally get on the road about seven, and they’re shitfaced by this time. We get up to Woodford, we’re gonna go out for a late night ride.  We didn’t get 5 miles down the trail and the knucklehead rear ends me busting my tail light and ripping my brand new seat. Fuck. OK fine we keep riding., Then the same knucklehead gets stuck in a mud hole. So we get on the front grabbing skis, he grabs a big handful of throttle proceeds to run right over my leg ripping my bibs. Now I’m really fucking annoyed.  Another few miles down the trail, he starts complaining that he smells like gas. Turns out his gas tank was leaking all over him. Then we get another few miles, and his track was so loose that it came off the drive cogs and stuffed a high fax rail rate through the track window. Ride was over at that point had to leave the sled in the woods.  That was the day I decided I’m never riding with retards again.  :lol: 

Similar story about the same year in fact - went up to a buddies cabin and was there 2-3 hours before the rest.  When they showed up cans fell out of the truck, and they were HAMMERED.  Finished a case between 2 of them on the way up.  One of the guys has a BRAND NEW ZRT, .4 miles on it or something stupid.  I told him he should wait to ride it - yeah that went over like a ton of bricks.  4 miles in, he passes me on a straight section of a curvy trail in the woods - I knew it, not 3 corners later there he is standing next to the sled mashed up against a tree with a cig in hand, - TOTALED that thing in less than 5 miles.  I wouldn't even help get it towed back - fuck those guys, us two early arrivals who hadn't had a drink yet just left those two morons at the tree with a busted sled.

• Haha 4

• Gold Member
1 hour ago, Snake said:

How many of these putzs were even riding in 1995... :lol:

I was only 10 years old but I was Riding!!:bc:

Mom had a brand new 95 Indy touring I rode a bunch back then. The following year we picked up a used RXL for me. 

16 minutes ago, Mag6240 said:

I'm too old to need a safety certificate - At least in MN if you were a certain age when they started requiring that for minors you were grandfathered in.

Similar story about the same year in fact - went up to a buddies cabin and was there 2-3 hours before the rest.  When they showed up cans fell out of the truck, and they were HAMMERED.  Finished a case between 2 of them on the way up.  One of the guys has a BRAND NEW ZRT, .4 miles on it or something stupid.  I told him he should wait to ride it - yeah that went over like a ton of bricks.  4 miles in, he passes me on a straight section of a curvy trail in the woods - I knew it, not 3 corners later there he is standing next to the sled mashed up against a tree with a cig in hand, - TOTALED that thing in less than 5 miles.  I wouldn't even help get it towed back - fuck those guys, us two early arrivals who hadn't had a drink yet just left those two morons at the tree with a busted sled.

I love the old stories, as long as they’re not new stories lol. Back in 1990, a bunch of us loaded up our sleds, and went up to old Forge for the annual Snowdeo. Two of my buddies brought brand new Phazer le’s. We get up there, no snow, but it was in the forecast for that night.  The hotel we were staying at had a big long parking lot, and these guys couldn’t wait.  They get the bright idea that they were going to drag race their brand new phasers on bare tar.  Off they go, sparks flying everywhere. The end of the parking lot came up pretty quick apparently because all we saw was red tail lights going every which way as they were barrel rolling down the parking lot. Both of them locked up the brakes and lost control, stove both brand new machines all to hell.  Thankfully they weren’t hurt.  They hadn’t even made the first payment on them yet.  That’s back from we would cram six or eight guys into one hotel room. :lol: 

• Haha 5

No.  If they're retards they aren't friends of mine and if they aren't friends why would I ride with them.  Better off tagging along with random group of strangers and I'm also not interested in doing that.

• Like 2

• Platinum Contributing Member
2 hours ago, ckf said:

Does the other Scott that you ride with smoke? I think his name was Scott. I can't remember his SledNH screen name. He had a place in Wakefield and his son was a CB in the Navy.  Great guys. They came to a club work party and I rode with him a couple of times out of Canoe King.

Edit: Was his screen name Hendo17?

Yes and yes. Hendo!  His riding pace has slowed considerably recently and he rides with his wife midweek for the most part. Great guy. 

2 hours ago, Bontz said:

Same here ... I had been riding before that, but mostly around the neighbor's field and out on the lake.  It was a crappy winter, I remember that much ... the sleds we used had to have wheels on the skis because the riding course was grass and dirt.

I had been riding before that too. I got the certificate so I could legally cross roads by myself. My 1st sled was a 1970 Olympic 335. I got it in 82 when I was 12.  On a good note I learned how to fix it pretty quick. Between broken boogie springs, motor mounts, recoils and carburetor issues :lol:

2 hours ago, Sled_Hed said:

I was 1 then :lol:

You're still a young whipper snapper :lol:

1 hour ago, Shifty said:

Yes and yes. Hendo!  His riding pace has slowed considerably recently and he rides with his wife midweek for the most part. Great guy. 

Damn, I wish I would have known. Hell, I hid it from you too back then because I didn't know that you smoked. Think of all of the fun that we could have had if we did :lol:

Yes, Scott is a great guy. He used to join several clubs and show up for work parties for each of this clubs every season.

• Like 3

A buddy was a little hung over one morning and drifted off the trail enough to clip a tree - amazingly this was the only thing he broke… this actually worked!  He rode it home like this… albeit at a much slower pace.

88A89E6D-A419-4960-A108-F635A7B1E3C9.jpeg

• Haha 2

Another time two of us cut down a 13.5” track to 13” and met a few guys who were riding for lunch at a local place… they were already pouring them down at noon and when they told me where there next stop was I said “you guys better pace yourselves”.  Got this pic the next morning, they didn’t take my advice… the guy who crashed was a rookie, his wife said no more snowmobiling and we never saw him again.

9C28E26A-B199-42DD-A171-C0ECA2617636.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Mag6240 said:

Another time two of us cut down a 13.5” track to 13” and met a few guys who were riding for lunch at a local place… they were already pouring them down at noon and when they told me where there next stop was I said “you guys better pace yourselves”.  Got this pic the next morning, they didn’t take my advice… the guy who crashed was a rookie, his wife said no more snowmobiling and we never saw him again.

9C28E26A-B199-42DD-A171-C0ECA2617636.jpeg

Man how many times have we heard stories like that?  My kids grew up riding sleds, golf carts etc., but many didn’t.  I would love to take my son-in-law snowmobiling sometime, but he’s never even ridden a minibike. I don’t think he understands the concept of throttle control.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DriftBusta said:

Deephaven was still waxing the rails on his flexible flyer I imagine.  :lol: 

Now you are spending time imagining me as a child?  You are a sick fuck.

3 hours ago, Bontz said:

You and HSR really need to find a new game to play ... the obsession game is pretty pathetic.  

Obsession?  I love how you see it as a one way street.  Woolie is a fucking insecure piece of shit and constantly making comments.  Just returning the favor.  It would be easy for him to make it stop.  Obviously that isn't what he wants...

4 hours ago, DriftBusta said:

I stopped snowmobiling with retards years ago. I can remember a time in 1995 I got a new XCR600, which was a pretty bad ass machine at the time. A buddy of mine and another guy I didn’t know make plans to go up to Woodford VT for the weekend, and leave at four.  I get to his house, and they’ve already downed a 12 pack, and my buddies buddies sled was half torn apart. Great.  We finally get on the road about seven, and they’re shitfaced by this time. We get up to Woodford, we’re gonna go out for a late night ride.  We didn’t get 5 miles down the trail and the knucklehead rear ends me busting my tail light and ripping my brand new seat. Fuck. OK fine we keep riding., Then the same knucklehead gets stuck in a mud hole. So we get on the front grabbing skis, he grabs a big handful of throttle proceeds to run right over my leg ripping my bibs. Now I’m really fucking annoyed.  Another few miles down the trail, he starts complaining that he smells like gas. Turns out his gas tank was leaking all over him. Then we get another few miles, and his track was so loose that it came off the drive cogs and stuffed a high fax rail rate through the track window. Ride was over at that point had to leave the sled in the woods.  That was the day I decided I’m never riding with retards again.  :lol: 

2879EAF1-581C-434C-8EBE-E6EF8BDA9347.jpeg

9FA60A0D-2E40-4F82-B714-613ECF390718.jpeg

86F34D2C-0F88-4C38-AD1E-4C248F11DC51.jpeg

E0611F53-FBCD-47D9-8E4D-B3C891CBB10A.jpeg

Been over that bridge many times 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Deephaven said:

Not true, that is if you still ride.  Riding with yourself is riding with a retard.

13 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

Now you are spending time imagining me as a child?  You are a sick fuck.

Obsession?  I love how you see it as a one way street.  Woolie is a fucking insecure piece of shit and constantly making comments.  Just returning the favor.  It would be easy for him to make it stop.  Obviously that isn't what he wants...

Seriously? Are you for real? “constantly making comments”. You mean like the one right above this one? Jesus go lay down.  :lol: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I was the retard once. We were going to Canada and tried crossing in derby vt. They wouldn't let us in. So we decided to stay in vt for the night and try crossing on sleds in east herferd as it's a much smaller crossing.  

We get to customs and the trail goes left to go to customs,  but there was a trail to the right where both clubs groomers turned around.  I stay right.  Punch it and blast on though without ever stopping at customs.  My 2 buds followed and later said they were shitting themselves at every road crossing for the first 5 miles

• Haha 3

Went up to Copper Harbor a couple years ago and on the way back seen this.  This was no longer than 1-1/2 hrs after we went through. Sled went off the trail and it the tree.  Helmet was down off the trail with the chinstrap cut and nobody around.   

20180303_140104.jpg

On 9/1/2023 at 11:16 AM, ckf said:

I took one of those classes, too. But mine would have been around '84 :ashamed:

Taught snowmobile safety for awhile and one year we had snow for a ride test.  Watching some parents unload their sleds and jumping snowbanks they should have been taking the class.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Doug said:

Taught snowmobile safety for awhile and one year we had snow for a ride test.  Watching some parents unload their sleds and jumping snowbanks they should have been taking the class.

My old club used to do the snowmobile safety class at my old business every fall. They had stopped doing the riding tests at that point and just wanted a sled outside that the instructor could use to go over the sled.

I did have a riding test when I took my class. Me and the old 1970 Olympic passed with flying colors :lol:

• Like 2

On 8/31/2023 at 9:52 AM, DriftBusta said:

I can ride with figurative retards, not the literal ones. Have your sled ready to go and in good repair, keep the drinks to a minimum if we are at lunch and let’s have fun.  We have a fairly small core group of guys we ride with who are pretty able and can tackle.a wide variety of riding conditions.  That said not everybody is in to back country off trail riding which is what we like to do.

yup. be on time, meet up when, and all drinking is for end of day

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1