Check your account email address ×

have trucks gotten too tall?

has anyone else noticed how high the side rails and load floor have gotten on modern trucks? 

used to be a person didn't need bumpers or tailgates with steps to toss things in and out of the bed... not to mention setting a beer can on the side rail while leaning on it with your elbow and bullshitting for an hour.  

This is why I have a 2012 Colorado. I have a side business doing exterior cleaning and I need to lift stuff in and out of the bed.  These newer small trucks are even way too tall. Colorado is a piece of shit, but I'll deal with that over having to lift my stuff another foot higher

• Like 1

This crap started years ago. It’s fuckin stupid. I have owned Chevys and Fords since the 70’s and easy bed access from the sides was the norm. The high sides started mid, late 90’s.  I’m 6’4” and it’s a hard reach.

Edited by Mainecat
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Doorider said:

This is why I have a 2012 Colorado. I have a side business doing exterior cleaning and I need to lift stuff in and out of the bed.  These newer small trucks are even way too tall. Colorado is a piece of shit, but I'll deal with that over having to lift my stuff another foot higher

not gonna argue that colorado is a piece of shit, but they do work , and many loved them. do you know they made them with a 5.3? not many but they are out there

13 minutes ago, Doorider said:

have to do front brakes yet?

• Platinum Contributing Member
43 minutes ago, sleepybrew said:

we sell steps for almost every 2500/3500. they think they don't need them till there old lady can't get in. 

Power running boards are nice. They go a little lower than stationary. 

28 minutes ago, sleepybrew said:

have to do front brakes yet?

Done a year ago before I bought it.  Had a 07 Canyon before it, but never did the brakes.  I don't keep them long enough to do brakes.  For me, they are consumables :lol:

My dad is a dealer and I get trucks like this at wholesale. Drive them for a year or so, then sell them for a profit and move on to the next one.  Started about 6 years ago with a $900 ranger, 5 trucks later in at the 2012 Colorado. Looking at a Frontier next

1 minute ago, Doorider said:

Done a year ago before I bought it.  Had a 07 Canyon before it, but never did the brakes.  I don't keep them long enough to do brakes.  For me, they are consumables :lol:

My dad is a dealer and I get trucks like this at wholesale. Drive them for a year or so, then sell them for a profit and move on to the next one.  Started about 6 years ago with a $900 ranger, 5 trucks later in at the 2012 Colorado. Looking at a Frontier next

whoever thought putting the rotor behind the wheel bearing is a good idea should be hit with a 2x4

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

38 minutes ago, sleepybrew said:

not gonna argue that colorado is a piece of shit, but they do work , and many loved them. do you know they made them with a 5.3? not many but they are out there

Yeah, they are hard to find though.  The 3.7 is a good motor.  My Colorado has the 2.9 and it's the most gutless POS and gets 7 mpg worse mileage than my car that has 4x the hp

2 minutes ago, Doorider said:

frontier good basic truck. basic is why it's good. my buddy did have rust problems under the rad support. we have sold a ton of used ones, they rarely come back

15 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

I have em on my Expy. They are a pain in the ass. They freeze in the winter and you have to oil them all the time or they stick part way up or down.

1 minute ago, J. Jackson said:

They are nice but the salt belt isn't too friendly to them.

Ya you gotta hit them with the power washer often.

Just now, Mainecat said:

I have em on my Expy. They are a pain in the ass. They freeze in the winter and you have to oil them all the time or they stick part way up or down.

I've heard that. Like I said in my last post you gotta power wash them often. Your expy is low. I'd just leave them up in the winter.

Yes especially when you get into a 3/4 ton or bigger. They don’t have any more ground clearance vs a 25 year old truck for how big they are. We asked the gm people at the auto show and they said when people buy a hd truck, it better look big and heavy duty to the buyer. So that’s what they did 

• Like 1

You guys are like a bunch of women that go thru life complaining about everything.  :lol:  My pickup bed is too tall.   What's next your vagina is sore?  :lmao:

• Haha 5

27 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

until the salt destroys the mechanisms... then it's $4k for a new set.

12 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Guberment absolutely should step in and regulate the height of pickup beds!   :lol: 

without a doubt, and bring back real ashtrays cigar lighters while they're at it.

10 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

Ya you gotta hit them with the power washer often.

I roll my 2500 through the auto wash a couple times a week, esp in the wintertime or after I've been north.  It does an excellent undercarriage wash and wash in general, even gets the wheels clean.  I'm done hand washing and detailing pickup trucks.  :lol: 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Highmark said:

You guys are like a bunch of women that go thru life complaining about everything.  :lol:  My pickup bed is too tall.   What's next your vagina is sore?  :lmao:

whAt Ru nInE feeT taLL¿ :crazy:

Pretty stupid when you need a ladder to get in the bed of a mason dump.....

American Insanity........

Range Rover took the simple path..SUV lowers + raises body automatically 

• Like 1