Check your account email address ×

new cat big bore ...

10 hours ago, mnstang said:

Interesting setup with the air shock, guessing that wasn't cheap.  I've heard good reviews about the fast skid but every one I've seen in a cat they sit higher up than I'd prefer.

There was a ton of "Sit in" when you sat on the seat. The rear suspension would collapse to a near normal height, but it was still high enough to impact handling.

The goal was to have the air pressure set to allow as much travel as possible without bottoming out. Even tho it rode great and felt like riding a pillow, the handling would "wallow" (as I called it), with excessive ski lift in the corners. It you put more weight on the front end to improve the ski lift, then it became too easy to over drive the front suspension. My solution was to add different dual rate front springs. 

That sled was never perfect by any means. But it was a fun toy. 

DSC02588.JPG

DSC02577.JPG

DSC02581.JPG

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Not greg b said:

The big thing I noticed was how much it killed the top end speed of that sled. I am not sure the actual mph lost but it did not have the pull like it did with xtra 10.

That is 100% correct, @Not greg b. The sharp angle of the skid combined with the decreased track making contact on the snow scrubbed a lot of speed off of the top end. Not to mention the increase in wind drag....

1 minute ago, Ziemann said:

That is 100% correct, @Not greg b. The sharp angle of the skid combined with the decreased track making contact on the snow scrubbed a lot of speed off of the top end. Not to mention the increase in wind drag....

I ride with a guy on a 17 assault and that thing absolutely murdered my zr8000 on top end and mpg, and he rarely gets stuck off trail. The assault has a much shallower attack angle than the cat, and I'm sure the tipped rails make it more efficient too. You can push the sled with your foot and it just rolls. I'm curious to see what the catalyst rails look like. 

44 minutes ago, Ziemann said:

There was a ton of "Sit in" when you sat on the seat. The rear suspension would collapse to a near normal height, but it was still high enough to impact handling.

The goal was to have the air pressure set to allow as much travel as possible without bottoming out. Even tho it rode great and felt like riding a pillow, the handling would "wallow" (as I called it), with excessive ski lift in the corners. It you put more weight on the front end to improve the ski lift, then it became too easy to over drive the front suspension. My solution was to add different dual rate front springs. 

That sled was never perfect by any means. But it was a fun toy. 

DSC02588.JPG

DSC02577.JPG

DSC02581.JPG

Interesting I wonder if a little more rebound dampening would've helped with some of that wallowing.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, krom said:

you might be able to sell them on TY, those guys will buy anything

According to those guys if you look at fuse box on a 7000 you will get hit by lightning and all the relays instantly melt. Then in the same sentence they will tell you Yamaha builds the most reliable and best fitting sled on the market 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mnstang said:

Interesting I wonder if a little more rebound dampening would've helped with some of that wallowing.

@mnstang - most likely yes. Like any project sled, it was built to tinker with and see if I could make it work. I probably could have tinkered with that thing indefinitely, and never achieved what I was hoping to given the mismatch between the front and rear suspension. I addressed a lot of things, but didn't know enough about shock valving to do it right. 

31 minutes ago, Ziemann said:

@mnstang - most likely yes. Like any project sled, it was built to tinker with and see if I could make it work. I probably could have tinkered with that thing indefinitely, and never achieved what I was hoping to given the mismatch between the front and rear suspension. I addressed a lot of things, but didn't know enough about shock valving to do it right. 

Often times that's how it goes.  I'm kind of OCD with test and tuning but there's still only so much time and you have to actually just go riding sometimes too and shut off all that and have fun.  I usually will take a different sled than what I'm testing or else it'll probably bug me.

34 minutes ago, mnstang said:

Often times that's how it goes.  I'm kind of OCD with test and tuning but there's still only so much time and you have to actually just go riding sometimes too and shut off all that and have fun.  I usually will take a different sled than what I'm testing or else it'll probably bug me.

I understand that completely. I'm finding that the older I get, the less I want to tinker. I look back at the time I spent on testing/tuning, and the frustration of testing something only to find that it had a negative effect..... I understand your OCD statement completely. I hate to say it, but I lost out on a lot of good riding screwing around with sleds that were a lost cause..... Now? I want to just enjoy the ride....

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Ziemann said:

I understand that completely. I'm finding that the older I get, the less I want to tinker. I look back at the time I spent on testing/tuning, and the frustration of testing something only to find that it had a negative effect..... I understand your OCD statement completely. I hate to say it, but I lost out on a lot of good riding screwing around with sleds that were a lost cause..... Now? I want to just enjoy the ride....

I'm at the point that the sled I trail ride is stock.  during the season It gets gas, oil, and the occasional grease job

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, krom said:

I'm at the point that the sled I trail ride is stock.  during the season It gets gas, oil, and the occasional grease job

tried doing that a little last year...  same + an engine.  :(

• Sad 1

Stock is good on newer stuff, best to leave it be with exception of some clutch and suspension tuning.  But on an older toy half the fun (or more) is tinkering and tuning.  Then you amass all these parts for other old sleds like my Puma went from a 340 last year to a 440 twin carb and it rips and mostly stock AC, mostly did it all with hand me downs and now it's a legit trail sled.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Palu49 said:

Hopefully they sell a lot of 858s because they can’t even afford to show up to the big show in New York this weekend. Cat display is 2 catalyst demos and a local dealers leftover inventory plus some wheelers.

Try not to cut yourself on the sharp edges of those hacked together prototypes 

4 hours ago, Palu49 said:

Hopefully they sell a lot of 858s because they can’t even afford to show up to the big show in New York this weekend. Cat display is 2 catalyst demos and a local dealers leftover inventory plus some wheelers.

show?

why go to a silly show when Country Kawasaki will cover your big mill launch online at the biggest kickoff to the season in North America and you have an annual marketing budget of $4,318 ?

as a potential customer, when did CORPORATIONS stop wanting to earn business?

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

show?

why go to a silly show when Country Kawasaki will cover your big mill launch online at the biggest kickoff to the season in North America and you have an annual marketing budget of $4,318 ?

Country cow stayed home with arctic cat as well. They just sent someone to live stream the launch. 

50 minutes ago, Not greg b said:

Country cow stayed home with arctic cat as well. They just sent someone to live stream the launch. 

Textron’s got photos of their display on Instagram. It looked like a pretty decent selection of machines.

4 hours ago, Not greg b said:

Try not to cut yourself on the sharp edges of those hacked together prototypes 

I was in there quick checking out the display of the new display, like 4 groups of people walked up to the “demos” and made comments about how shittily made they looked. At least fucking put something on them that says these are prototypes for the people who don’t know…

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, AK440 said:

Textron’s got photos of their display on Instagram. It looked like a pretty decent selection of machines.

The catalyst they brought to haydays were rough. They have yet to build one that is anywhere close to a production model. They did have all of the popular models there 

Edited by Not greg b

6 minutes ago, Not greg b said:

The catalyst they brought to haydays were rough. They have yet to build one that is anywhere close to a production model. They did have all of the popular models there 

I remember looking at preproduction Ski-Doo ZX chassis sleds back in the spring of ‘98. They also looked rough. To me it’s not a new thing for OEM’s to not have perfect, production sleds at the shows. 

4 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

show?

What are you even talking about?  Arctic Cat is a corporation and was at haydays.  Country Cat is a dealership and was not at haydays.  Do you even know what you're mad at?  I can't tell.