Check your account email address ×

Daily driving a 40 year old truck?

Hi Guys,  

I would love some feedback on whether you can reliably and comfortably drive a 40 year old truck.  I have a "fantasy" of selling my 2019 ram and buying a restored k10 and drive it as my primary vehicle.  I've been thinking of a chevy 6.2 oil burner because of the gas mileage..I know it's a dog but wiling to add a turbo if needed.

Thoughts ... am I nuts?

SkisNH 

15 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Why not keep the ram and just buy a k10 if you like them?  Classic pickups are horrible at everything when compared to a modern pickup.  

Except for looks...

Now that I'm retired I don't drive that much...but I will still haul sleds to Northern Maine every other weekend.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Skidude600 said:

As long as you understand it's going to ride and handle slightly better than a covered wagon, go for it. The older I get the less I like my dentures rattling.

Can you simply keep balast in it to make it ride better?

• Gold Member

Not quite the same but I daily drive a 20 year old truck . :dunno:

I think a LS swapped K10 is more reliable if built right. But always gotta realize shit can break . If you are cool with that I say go for it. 

Just finished U joints on front driveshaft this morning lol. Replace Brake lines are next on the list. 

Edited by EvilBird

This is my 2005 tundra. AC blows as cold today as it did when I bought it.

only ever had to replace and adjust brakes. And alternator 355k on the clock 

looking at doing the timing belt on it 

IMG_1941.jpeg

Edited by toslow
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, SkisNH said:

Can you simply keep balast in it to make it ride better?

I'm sure that would help a little. I'm not trying to rain on your parade love squares myself. When you are used to the refined handling and ride of a modern truck there will be quite a difference. They don't turn as fast and wander more. Anything you look at make sure the rag joint in the steering is in good shape or at least has been replaced. A decent set of shocks will help as well, but in the end it still has a leaf spring suspension.

8 minutes ago, toslow said:

This is my 2005 tundra. AC blows as cold today as it did when I bought it.

only ever had to replace and adjust brakes. And alternator 355k on the clock 

looking at doing the timing belt on it 

IMG_1941.jpeg

V6 OR V8?

My last rig was a "95 Dodge with a 12v Cummins w/delete. Vehicle could drive through a nuclear EMP and keep chugging. It had over 200k. I had total trust in that rig. As long as the potential catastrophic failure points have been addressed, why not?

I couldn't handle the lack of comfort.  Of course if you put it on a new frame/drivetrain, added phone integration as a head unit, sound deadened the piss out of it and added modern seats I would change my tune.  Would be killer then

2 hours ago, SkisNH said:

Hi Guys,  

I would love some feedback on whether you can reliably and comfortably drive a 40 year old truck.  I have a "fantasy" of selling my 2019 ram and buying a restored k10 and drive it as my primary vehicle.  I've been thinking of a chevy 6.2 oil burner because of the gas mileage..I know it's a dog but wiling to add a turbo if needed.

Thoughts ... am I nuts?

SkisNH 

I owned a few. Straight front axel. Rides like truck. Square bodies are awesome though.

• Like 2

• Gold Member

I know a guy that daily’s a 65 Chevy pickup it can be done It’s all what you’re willing to live with comfort wise or how much you wanna spend to make it comfortable. I’d keep the ram and buy something though running a old truck in NH winters will destroy that nicely restored truck in no time

If you want a diesel I’d look for a Cummins swapped truck with maybe the font coil spring conversion done. A ls swapped k series truck is pretty common and I see them for sale often.

33 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

I know a guy that daily’s a 65 Chevy pickup it can be done It’s all what you’re willing to live with comfort wise or how much you wanna spend to make it comfortable. I’d keep the ram and buy something though running a old truck in NH winters will destroy that nicely restored truck in no time

If you want a diesel I’d look for a Cummins swapped truck with maybe the font coil spring conversion done. A ls swapped k series truck is pretty common and I see them for sale often.

I fluid film my cars every year....do you really see rust being any more of a problem. Part of the math is I can buy a nice frame off not (show car) for 25k....I think I can drive it for years and it won't depreciate much. 

I'm leary of buying an LS swap...if I went that route I think I would take it to a shop I trust and have them do the swap. I fear chasing poorly terminated wiring for the next 8 years. 

For a daily hell no. Go drive a 40 year old truck and then go drive a modern truck. Everything is better on a modern truck (brakes, ride, comfort, power, gas mileage) Even a 20 year old truck would be a way better choice for a daily. For a secondary car for the weekends it would be cool to have?

6 hours ago, spin_dry said:

My last rig was a "95 Dodge with a 12v Cummins w/delete. Vehicle could drive through a nuclear EMP and keep chugging. It had over 200k. I had total trust in that rig. As long as the potential catastrophic failure points have been addressed, why not?

What is there to delete on an old 12v….

• Gold Member
1 hour ago, SkisNH said:

I fluid film my cars every year....do you really see rust being any more of a problem. Part of the math is I can buy a nice frame off not (show car) for 25k....I think I can drive it for years and it won't depreciate much. 

I'm leary of buying an LS swap...if I went that route I think I would take it to a shop I trust and have them do the swap. I fear chasing poorly terminated wiring for the next 8 years. 

Fluid film is definitely good and helps a lot. I’m just thinking like say it’s had patches welded in and you don’t get fluid film or whatever in every nook and cranny. Doubt it’s worth worrying about but just thinking we’ve all seen trucks with wheel arch patches bubbling in an exact outline of the patch lol. Not to mention sand peppering the paint all winter. It just doesn’t seem worth it to me to run in the winter but hey people do it like that guy with the 65 I was talking about but that trucks a patina deal.

I mean you could be chasing wiring gremlins anyways it’s a 40yr old truck. I say go for it just keep the ram I think you’ll regret it.