Check your account email address ×

Daily driving a 40 year old truck?

12 hours ago, SkisNH said:

Hi Guys,  

I would love some feedback on whether you can reliably and comfortably drive a 40 year old truck.  I have a "fantasy" of selling my 2019 ram and buying a restored k10 and drive it as my primary vehicle.  I've been thinking of a chevy 6.2 oil burner because of the gas mileage..I know it's a dog but wiling to add a turbo if needed.

Thoughts ... am I nuts?

SkisNH 

Do not use 6.2 and reliable in the same paragraph.

6 hours ago, Voodoo said:

Do not use 6.2 and reliable in the same paragraph.

Why? Everything I've read wad positive....a couple minor changes like manual glow plugs and its mint. What are the issues as you know them?

You asked the question and answered it…

Both General Motors   5.7 & 6.2L diesel engines made diesel vehicles  infamously famous in a negative light in the US  for generations….

1.        Both said engines were designed using modified Gasoline engine blocks.

2.        Both suffered from head / head gasket leaks

3.       Fuel injection issues were common

4.       Neither had a decent water / fuel separation system.

5.       Cold starting was an issue.

6.       Neither was available with a turbo or supercharge from the factory.

K10  models came with front Leaf Springs,  never offering a coil spring or  AFS  front suspension.  The ride is harsh in an 8’ model, the 6’ model is choppy.

Dependability?   The diesel models were NEVER dependable from the start & factory service was never up to par with a gasoline model.

It’s 40 years later, there will be next to no factory trained technicians for these models.

GM’s 6.5 was a marginal diesel engine at best…At least the cottage industries made improvements to this model.

There was no cottage industry improvements, as I recall from the earlier era.

Costs ?    Restorations costs are near 6 figures from a hi end restoration facility…

Barrett-Jackson might be a good place to search for hi quality originals or quality restorations at market price.

An original K10  with a gasoline engine would be an interesting seasonal weekend ride.

10 minutes ago, ICG said:

You asked the question and answered it…

Both General Motors   5.7 & 6.2L diesel engines made diesel vehicles  infamously famous in a negative light in the US  for generations….

1.        Both said engines were designed using modified Gasoline engine blocks.

2.        Both suffered from head / head gasket leaks

3.       Fuel injection issues were common

4.       Neither had a decent water / fuel separation system.

5.       Cold starting was an issue.

6.       Neither was available with a turbo or supercharge from the factory.

K10  models came with front Leaf Springs,  never offering a coil spring or  AFS  front suspension.  The ride is harsh in an 8’ model, the 6’ model is choppy.

Dependability?   The diesel models were NEVER dependable from the start & factory service was never up to par with a gasoline model.

It’s 40 years later, there will be next to no factory trained technicians for these models.

GM’s 6.5 was a marginal diesel engine at best…At least the cottage industries made improvements to this model.

There was no cottage industry improvements, as I recall from the earlier era.

Costs ?    Restorations costs are near 6 figures from a hi end restoration facility…

Barrett-Jackson might be a good place to search for hi quality originals or quality restorations at market price.

An original K10  with a gasoline engine would be an interesting seasonal weekend ride.

From what I read it was purpose built as an oil burner a joint project with Detroit....I've been looking at a coil over conversion...way fucking expensive.

despite popular belief the 6.2 was a completly new design. only thing it shares with its gasser brothers is the V shape and the bellhousing bolt pattern and motor mounts, everything else was brand new. the 5.7 was based off of the olds 350 gas engine that what caused the headgasket failures since there was only 10 head bolts on each cylinder head. the 6.2 has like 17 in it i think.

• Platinum Contributing Member

All I remember about the 6.2's was they got great fuel mileage and they occasionally had bad cranks.

I drove for a flower company that had a 2wd Suburban. It regularly got 30 mpg on the highway loaded.

Daily drive a 40 year old vehicle?   Sure, I hope to do that for local running around when I retire. But I will still keep something around for winter driving because I don't want to wreck my 40 year old trucks with salt. I dont take them out if its raining....lol