Check your account email address ×

Where would you invest 50k ?

17 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

According to the cards I got from the flickers in Vegas like $40 bucks. I got like 50 of em taped above my box at work I’ll get ya the numbers 😂.

:lol::bc:

• Platinum Contributing Member
11 hours ago, Doorider said:

I'd ust stick it in a 18 month CD at 5% and see what happens after that time.  That will make you a guaranteed $3800, then decide what to do with your $53800. 

If you're playing the long game, an index fund like VTI or VOO isn't a bad idea.  If you want to dabble in real estate, you could buy into a REIT. I bought up some VNQ a couple months ago when it was just below $80 a share.  It follows real estate markets and pays a strong dividend.  

Yeah I am considering CD....18 months gaining another $3800 ain't bad and would push my break even to almost 16 years....and that is without anymore ROI.

11 hours ago, jdsky said:

It's not that simple and not enough info for anyone here to give meaningful advice.  You need to understand what exactly is the rate of return on the pension based on not taking the lump sum vs taking it.  My wife, and nearly everyone else I know with a pension these days, usually has an option to cash out and that cash number changes each year.  In my wife's specific case even with their best offer she would have to make returns above the historical market average with that cash to get ahead so it's better for her not to cash out yet.

I'm not suggesting this is the best option for you just that you need to look at the actual annual return you need to make on that money including any tax situation you may have.  4-5% interest rates on savings accounts will evaporate immediately once the fed lowers interest rates.  The longest guaranteed rate CD I have seen is 4 or 5 years and around 4.5% right now.  Five years is far too short a timeframe for anyone not actually well into retirement.  For my parents both 83 years old right now, they are just fine with a 4 or 5 year CD but this is not really a good option for someone still waiting to retire.

The market is the only way to achieve long term returns that will exceed that of most pensions over time.  How you invest in the market is personal based on your own risk tolerance and timeline.  

Pretty simple really.....I would be getting $282 less a month for life on my pension if I opt for 50k upfront.

It would take 177 months to make 50k on $282 or 14.75 years.....and that is without any kind of profitable investment on the 50k

I am fortunate to be able to easily live on the reduced pension if I choose. I was only asking about the 50k to invest but will have much more money to play with or invest when I sell my home and move.....plus plan on taking SS in less than a year. That will all be play money that I plan to enjoy and do as I please with.  Getting my dream garage built will not be cheap but is one of my priorities and will likely take a big chunk out of my cash.... I want a car lift and a special bay just for firework equipment and manufacturing.:lol:

Some people mentioned real estate but the prices are so high right now, that I don't think it would pay off,....I did buy my retirement home about 5 years ago and that ended up being a good move since it has appreciated 50+% since buying.... So there is my real estate gain.

I do play the stock market but not gonna lie....have taken a beating the last 2 years and am pretty much out except for a biotech that I am currently down over 15k. Just going to let that one ride as the company expects to turn a profit in about a year, so hopefully it turns around.

Lots of good suggestions from everyone from the funds to hookers:bc:

7 hours ago, jonlafon1 said:

go for the go fund the WALL on the Mexico border?  O wait that was going to be paid for by Mexico.. Never mind.. Throw 10k on XRP crypto> check it in 5 years. 

That's just a democrat talking point.....the wall to protect our own borders would have only cost a fraction of a fraction of the money we've sent to Ukraine. While I realize the importance of stopping Putin,I have done a 180 on this whole situation as I believe corrupt Biden is partly covering his ass with the funding.

And Trump did get Mexico to pay indirectly for the wall.....he was able to persuade the Mexican prez to get thousands of Mexican soldiers to patrol their own border and keep most out. Priceless!

Big difference to what is going on today.

Here is a heavily left leaning source....the only discrepancy they have is with the total number of agents patrolling. It is still in the thousands and thousands more than today.  Good job by the GOAT 🐐 :thumbsup:

https://www.newsweek.com/fact-check-did-donald-trump-get-28000-mexican-soldiers-police-border-1777950

23 minutes ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

That's just a democrat talking point.....the wall to protect our own borders would have only cost a fraction of a fraction of the money we've sent to Ukraine. 

Sure is good the border is REALLY short and that literal walls are so impassable.

9 hours ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

Yeah I am considering CD....18 months gaining another $3800 ain't bad and would push my break even to almost 16 years....and that is without anymore ROI.

Pretty simple really.....I would be getting $282 less a month for life on my pension if I opt for 50k upfront.

It would take 177 months to make 50k on $282 or 14.75 years.....and that is without any kind of profitable investment on the 50k

I am fortunate to be able to easily live on the reduced pension if I choose. I was only asking about the 50k to invest but will have much more money to play with or invest when I sell my home and move.....plus plan on taking SS in less than a year. That will all be play money that I plan to enjoy and do as I please with.  Getting my dream garage built will not be cheap but is one of my priorities and will likely take a big chunk out of my cash.... I want a car lift and a special bay just for firework equipment and manufacturing.:lol:

Some people mentioned real estate but the prices are so high right now, that I don't think it would pay off,....I did buy my retirement home about 5 years ago and that ended up being a good move since it has appreciated 50+% since buying.... So there is my real estate gain.

I do play the stock market but not gonna lie....have taken a beating the last 2 years and am pretty much out except for a biotech that I am currently down over 15k. Just going to let that one ride as the company expects to turn a profit in about a year, so hopefully it turns around.

Lots of good suggestions from everyone from the funds to hookers:bc:

Without reading into too much of your situation, another thing to consider is a Variable Universal LIfe (VUL) policy, with a long term care rider.  If you and your wife don't have any life insurance, its something to think about.  Pay a lump or installments.  The idea being you get an instant death benefit should something happen to you, and over time, an increasing amount of LTC coverage.  Approx 1 out of 2 people are going to need LTC at some point in their lives and it can basically wipe out your assets.  You can use 50k for example, to potentially protect 500k worth of assets, depending on how long it might take for you to need it.  My folks had traditional long term care policies, that cost a fortune.  If they never used it, that money is gone.  Dads been gone for some years now, but moms was about 5400 bucks a year.  But she's been in assisted living now for a couple years, and her bill is about 7k a month.  If she ever needed memory care, that number can double.  :bc:   *Many variable to consider, age, rating, how long the policy "bakes" before you might need the LTC, etc..

Edited by DriftBusta
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Mainecat said:

1% CD Trump

5% CD Biden

Carry on Mr. fascist 

I'm the fascist yet you want to control how many companies make deodorant.  :lol:  

3 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Post where I said that Mr. Trump fascist.

Dude I recall it plain as day.   It was priceless.  I'm sure others recall it.   I think it was something that Bernie Sanders was talking about and you agreed completely. 

https://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/2015/05/30/bernie-sanders-deodorant-comment-ignores-realities-economic-growth/2OfPVj77EsJlZiPSeH1kQN/story.html

https://reason.com/2015/05/26/bernie-sanders-dont-need-23-choices-of-d/

Edited by Highmark

@ViperGTS/Z1would be getting $282 less a month for life on my pension if I opt for 50k upfront.

That's almost a 7% return guaranteed....do not take the money out.

50000 x .067= 3350.00

3350.00 ÷ 12 = 272.00 per month

Edited by SkisNH
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Gold Member
19 hours ago, HSR said:

How much do hot 24 year old pure female blondes with big tits go for these days? Talk about a decade of fun!!!

17 hours ago, 800renegaderider said:

According to the cards I got from the flickers in Vegas like $40 bucks. I got like 50 of em taped above my box at work I’ll get ya the numbers 😂.

Dreams do come true just a quick flight 😂 $35 bucks or 2fer what a bargain IMG_3734.thumb.jpeg.bfa06a13e4f6a46c96bc130bfb4b7928.jpegIMG_3735.thumb.jpeg.5597ce575e1a480fe89470f026ddde8f.jpeg

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

Dreams do come true just a quick flight 😂 $35 bucks or 2fer what a bargain IMG_3734.thumb.jpeg.bfa06a13e4f6a46c96bc130bfb4b7928.jpegIMG_3735.thumb.jpeg.5597ce575e1a480fe89470f026ddde8f.jpeg

I wouldn't mind a little head from Lory but judging by her pic that's not possible :lol:

• Gold Member
2 minutes ago, HSR said:

I wouldn't mind a little head from Lory but judging by her pic that's not possible :lol:

Haha I doubt those girls are even real plus those cards are from like 6-7yrs ago they’re old hags now. The wife and I had a competition one night to see who could get the most flicker cards. We had probably 1k combined 😂.

59 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

Haha I doubt those girls are even real plus those cards are from like 6-7yrs ago they’re old hags now. The wife and I had a competition one night to see who could get the most flicker cards. We had probably 1k combined 😂.

I have only been to Vegas once, and that was enough.  Those people were everywhere, it was simpler just to take the cards rather than waving them off after a while.  It’s not like chicks that hot were handing out the cards either. Lol.

On 8/10/2023 at 8:33 AM, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

I would be able to invest in something long-term... Maybe a 15-year time frame if needed.  Where would the best place be to put that money ?...It's been a real tough decision for me whether to take any money or not...pros and cons to both .

I would put at Fidelity in a total market or S&P 500 index with a 15 year timeline.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2023 at 11:10 AM, Crnr2Crnr said:

we don't specifically know what the op wants.... maybe wait for him to chime back in? 

plus , he's going to owe @Steve753 $ when Trump loses.

Never count your chickens before they are hatched.

4 minutes ago, HSR said:

How did it go?

Incident free. Bugs were brutal and weather was poor at best 3/4 of the time until we got to Sydney N.S. that's a one and done trip.