Check your account email address ×

Biden admin confirms it's withholding key funds for schools with hunting courses

2 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

It should have been for gun safety.

Hunter Education courses do teach gun safety. 

According to the International Hunter Education Association, hunter education courses train and certify more than 500,000 students annually. Such courses are a reason hunting related injury rates have declined for years while populations of deer, wild turkey, elk, geese and other species of game have increased exponentially for years.

Edited by racer254

6 minutes ago, racer254 said:

According to the International Hunter Education Association, hunter education courses train and certify more than 500,000 students annually. Such courses are a reason hunting related injury rates have declined for years while populations of deer, wild turkey, elk, geese and other species of game have increased exponentially for years.

Yup. Hunters safety teaches gun safety here as well

MC is a moron 

• Platinum Contributing Member

A liberals idea of gun safety is that nobody should own one but LE.  Oh and its the guns fault pending who used it. 

Edited by Highmark
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, racer254 said:

I understand that but it only does for students who sign up to hunt. Many would sign up that don’t hunt.

9 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

I understand that but it only does for students who sign up to hunt. Many would sign up that don’t hunt.

So you’re against people learning to hunt safely, especially kids. Nice! 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Mainecat said:

In Minnesota, it's known as "Firearm Safety".  Taking a Firearm Safety course is required for hunting, but plenty of non-hunters take it.  When I took it, easily half the kids (probably more) weren't going to hunt, same thing when my daughter took it.

I'd be in favor of teaching that as a life skill in the regular curriculum.  Schools should at least offer a semester course in firearm safety and marksmanship.  In many schools around here, you can letter in trap shooting.  It would be cool to see a high school IPSC-like competition that they could letter in, too.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, p51mstg said:

In Minnesota, it's known as "Firearm Safety".  Taking a Firearm Safety course is required for hunting, but plenty of non-hunters take it.  When I took it, easily half the kids (probably more) weren't going to hunt, same thing when my daughter took it.

I'd be in favor of teaching that as a life skill in the regular curriculum.  Schools should at least offer a semester course in firearm safety and marksmanship.  In many schools around here, you can letter in trap shooting.  It would be cool to see a high school IPSC-like competition that they could letter in, too.

We had a HS trap team.  Got our yearbook picture in front of the school with our shotguns.   I think one kid broke his down and put it in his locker.  :lol: 

• Like 2

• USA Contributing Member

I don't think a lot of people realize that a "gun class" (hunting class, youth shooting class, etc) is more about safety than anything else.  In CT you have to take an NRA certified class as a step to get your pistol permit and I would have to say 75% of the class is safety.  It annoys me when you have groups attacking the NRA over "what they do"... have you ever gone to an NRA class and see "what they do"? 

I would support any school teaching a class like this, I'm sure there are kids that have had no exposure to a firearm that are curious about sport shooting and hunting.     

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, $poorsledder$ said:

I don't think a lot of people realize that a "gun class" (hunting class, youth shooting class, etc) is more about safety than anything else.  In CT you have to take an NRA certified class as a step to get your pistol permit and I would have to say 75% of the class is safety.  It annoys me when you have groups attacking the NRA over "what they do"... have you ever gone to an NRA class and see "what they do"? 

I would support any school teaching a class like this, I'm sure there are kids that have had no exposure to a firearm that are curious about sport shooting and hunting.     

Exactly.  The main context being, "You don't need to be afraid of guns & this will help you understand how a gun is operated SAFELY." 

• Like 1