Check your account email address ×

Arctic Catalyst on the scales

When we talked to the engineers in January at the photo shoot, they said they weren't done shedding weight.  I assume the "pre-production" machines are more of what we were riding at that time.  So, based on that it would be cool if they found a way to drop a few more pounds by the time production rolls around.

Ziemann - good point.  I suspect the best time to get those numbers would be mid-winter, when everyone is able to get actual production units to compare.

Here are the results in simple form:

- Polaris Titan 155                                     837 lbs
- Polaris Switchback Assault 146             584 lbs   
- Polaris 9R RMK Khaos 146                     514 lbs
- Polaris Indy 850 XCR                             582 lbs
- Polaris Boost Indy VR1 137                    604 lbs
- Polaris Indy 650 137                              573 lbs
- Ski Doo Expedition 900R                       790 lbs
- Ski Doo Renegade XRS 850 137           651 lbs
- Ski Doo MXZ Blizzard 850 129              627 lbs                 
- Ski Doo MXA Neo Plus 600 120             495 lbs
- Yamaha SideWinder LTX LE EPS 137     667 lbs

Personally I was hoping for more weight loss, but it seems like it might squeak by as the class leader. 

Experience tells me sleds tend to get heavier, not lighter by the time of production.  We shall see!

Edited by Premium
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Not greg b said:

499 is about 25 pounds lighter than the current procross 800. Take the e start off and it will be close to the current rxc weight. 

Exactly.  Belt drive, uni-frame, composite boards, no more couch of a seat, smaller body panels, etc, and still about the same as a Procross!?  WTF

18 minutes ago, Premium said:

Exactly.  Belt drive, uni-frame, composite boards, no more couch of a seat, smaller body panels, etc, and still about the same as a Procross!?  WTF

Yet lighter than poo and doo all the same. Add fuel, coolant and the Polaris is way more than 499. No one rides an empty sled so the Catalyst will be in the 550 fully fueled range. 17 lbs lighter than poo's 650. Class leading. BOOM!

Edited by ZR6000RR

23 minutes ago, ZR6000RR said:

Yet lighter than poo and doo all the same. Add fuel, coolant and the Polaris is way more than 499. No one rides an empty sled so the Catalyst will be in the 550 fully fueled range. 17 lbs lighter than poo's 650. Class leading. BOOM!

I don't think women care if their sled is 10lbs lighter than their bestie's sled. At least I've never seen 2 women argue over who's 600 class sled is lighter.

2 minutes ago, HSR said:

I don't think women care if their sled is 10lbs lighter than their bestie's sled. At least I've never seen 2 women argue over who's 600 class sled is lighter.

So you are a female? Trans? 

2 minutes ago, ZR6000RR said:

So you are a female? Trans? 

Neither, I just can't see any male sled enthusiast getting excited over a 600cc sled. Other companies have turbo 850's and you're all wet over 120hp :dunno: Can't see what the hype is about, the last new chassis release was a huge flop.

1 minute ago, HSR said:

Neither, I just can't see any male sled enthusiast getting excited over a 600cc sled. Other companies have turbo 850's and you're all wet over 120hp :dunno: Can't see what the hype is about, the last new chassis release was a huge flop.

Well that is an opinion. No one needs more than a 600 honestly, but some have shortcomings to hide I guess. I ride with one 800 sled. Everyone else is on a 600 class. 3 clubs mind you.

46 minutes ago, HSR said:

shut your filthy hole... 

20130611125745.jpg.a6543278d1742e01bcf95e74ce778a1e.jpg 

:lol:

1 hour ago, Premium said:

Actual dry weight using the 499 number would be about 484 ready to ride with no gas, assuming the oil capacity is 4 quarts and the cooling capacity is 1 gallon (current pc holds about that much of each) Using the ship weights off Amazon for a gallon of ctech oil and a gallon of anti freeze you can subtract 15 pounds from 499. Cat was claiming a 10% weight reduction compared to the current procross. 484 pounds would be about an 8% reduction from current PC and puts that sled in the picture right about where cat said it would be. For reference the catalyst is only a few pounds more than a 1998 zr600.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Not greg b said:

Actual dry weight using the 499 number would be about 484 ready to ride with no gas, assuming the oil capacity is 4 quarts and the cooling capacity is 1 gallon (current pc holds about that much of each) Using the ship weights off Amazon for a gallon of ctech oil and a gallon of anti freeze you can subtract 15 pounds from 499. Cat was claiming a 10% weight reduction compared to the current procross. 484 pounds would be about an 8% reduction from current PC and puts that sled in the picture right about where cat said it would be. For reference the catalyst is only a few pounds more than a 1998 zr600.

Oil tank is 3 quarts. Weigh a non atack and you can take off an additional close to 10 lbs.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Not greg b said:

OK that's fair. It is also possible that the production units are actually lighter too.

14 hours ago, ZR6000RR said:

Even if Cat has the weight advantage, a big If, the Poo 650 will still have the hp advantage. Go ahead and spin that. 

• Haha 1

I was expecting it to be quite a bit lighter!

Scale weight is definitely not everything and being more compact and centralized will make it feel lighter than it is which is the most important, but I was still expecting it to be lighter.  I thought the rxc procross was around the 480 mark iirc.  Slight disappointment with the scale weight.  

I also thought it was weird that people were saying the final version would be lighter than the pre production.. I figured it'd be the other way around.

3 hours ago, Tripleflipper said:

Even if Cat has the weight advantage, a big If, the Poo 650 will still have the hp advantage. Go ahead and spin that. 

I rode them both. Back to back. Cat has the much better motor and overall sled. Poo needs the extra 50 cc"s to compete. Sad.

1 hour ago, ZR6000RR said:

I rode them both. Back to back. Cat has the much better motor and overall sled. Poo needs the extra 50 cc"s to compete. Sad.

Lol.  Even if it wasn't the case you'd say that.

1 hour ago, mnstang said:

I was expecting it to be quite a bit lighter!

Scale weight is definitely not everything and being more compact and centralized will make it feel lighter than it is which is the most important, but I was still expecting it to be lighter.  I thought the rxc procross was around the 480 mark iirc.  Slight disappointment with the scale weight.  

I also thought it was weird that people were saying the final version would be lighter than the pre production.. I figured it'd be the other way around.

Agreed.