Check your account email address ×

overtime rule change?

7 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

I dont know any local pw worker, police or fire employee who punches a clock.

A cop is a non exempt job as is a fire fighter as is a PW job therefore there is an hourly rate attached to those positions

They make equate it to a salary even when they advertise it but it's hourly on their stubs-  2 current postings from our neck of the woods

Police Officer 
Town of Derry, NH - Derry, NH 
$23.59 - $29.06 an hour

The Derry Police Department is conducting written and physical agility testing for Police Officer candidates on Saturday, July 22, 2017. Full time NH Certified Officers are encouraged to apply and are exempt from the written test. Hourly pay is $23.59 to $29.06 to start, depending upon prior years of service.

Police Officer 
Fremont Police - Fremont, NH 
$19.43 an hour

Town of FremontPolice Officer

The Town of Fremont, New Hampshire is seeking a full-time police officer, non-exempt hourly position. Excellent salary and benefits.

The officer is expected to perform law enforcement duties, including patrol, investigation, traffic control, and a variety of other duties to preserve the peace and protect life and property in the Town, and enforce federal and State laws and local ordinances and bylaws.

The successful candidate must possess current NH Police Standards and Training Council certification or obtain certification within six (6) months of hire. The candidate must be able to pass a thorough background investigation, as well as fitness, psychological, polygraph and medical testing. Candidate must possess a valid NH Motor Vehicle Operator’s License.

To Apply: Submit cover letter and Fremont Police Officer Application to: Chief Jon Twiss, Fremont Police Department, 425 Mains St, Fremont NH 03044. Application can be found on www.fremontnhpd.com

1 minute ago, ArcticCrusher said:

What is stopping you if that is what they ask for?

They arent asking for it. Its not an option for me. Per our union contract I have to pay them Time and half and on Sundays and holidays its double time. 

24 minutes ago, 02sled said:

One of our local marinas does similar for their people. During spring launch and fall haul out their guys work 6 and sometimes 7 days a week. Just about all of them bank those hours rather than take the money. During the winter when things are close to dead they avoid seasonal lay offs and they are able to collect their regular pay cheque while working part weeks. They have a fair bit of work from customers who want things done in the off season but not enough to keep everyone busy for full weeks. The business and the employees are quite happy with the arrangement.

I can see where that would work for seasonal workers. But you would have to work a shit ton of hours to cover for winter. :lol: 

Just now, motonoggin said:

I'd take the OT in regular hourly pay and bank the other 1/2 day for vacation. 

Fuck.  That's actually a pretty good idea.  Best of both worlds. :bc:

And I think this legislation will open up communications between ER and EE to do things just like that.

• Gold Member
1 minute ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Some here, pensions are based on best five years worked including OT.  Of course these are for public sector.

That's Canada.  Chicago doesn't where analer is from

12 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

What benefits does the city pay on overtime hours worked?

It differs per the various unions but fringes are paid per hour. And some get corresponding increments in benefits with overtime. So for time and half they would get the benny and half. 

But like I said, if it didnt benefit the employer why would they offer it? Its a significant savings. For us it is. 

4 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

I doubt that is part of the deal. :lol: i think the goal is to avoid the extra x.5 pay. 

1 minute ago, Anler said:

I doubt that is part of the deal. :lol: i think the goal is to avoid the extra x.5 pay. 

I think you are being misled.  Sorry, but if giving your workers time off in place of OT pay at their request is more beneficial than paying them OT hours....you're doing it wrong.  An employee being out should be much more harmful than 1.5 time.

4 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

I think you are being misled.  Sorry, but if giving your workers time off in place of OT pay at their request is more beneficial than paying them OT hours....you're doing it wrong.  An employee being out should be much more harmful than 1.5 time.

So you think paying 50% more for the same service is more economical? Yeah don't ever criticize my business experience again please. :lol:

14 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

I like that idea.  With the relaxed overtime proposal an employee/employer may be able to work this into their plan.  

9 minutes ago, Anler said:

Noggins idea avoids the extra x.5 in pay.  

• Platinum Contributing Member
12 minutes ago, Anler said:

God forbid something is done that benefits the employee and employer. :lol:  

Edited by Highmark

50 minutes ago, Anler said:

Yes it helps the employer is my point. Which is fine if the employee would prefer the comp time thats great. But if Im working overtime I want the money. Thats why i work, to make money. And for most the only real opportunity to make more money is to work more...ie.OVERTIME... :bc: 

I get my comp time for being on call or running a emergency call when I'm not on call. I also get paid port to port when running emergency calls.

2 minutes ago, Anler said:

So you think paying 50% more for the same service is more economical? Yeah don't ever criticize my business experience again please. :lol:

It's a pay them now or pay them later thing.  The employee gets to take 1.5hrs of PTO for every hour they bank.  If an employee accumulates all of his 160 hours then you are going to need to find someone to fill in for him when he decides to take the PTO.  If times are slow then you may be able to work with your team and find someone who would like to use up their PTO instead of sit around twiddling their thumbs.

Just now, Highmark said:

God forbid something is done that benefits the employee and employer. :lol:  

Hey im all for it! I would love to fuck those greedy union fucks out of some money while sticking it in my pocket. :bc: 

Just now, AKIQPilot said:

It's a pay them now or pay them later thing.  The employee gets to take 1.5hrs of PTO for every hour they bank.  If an employee accumulates all of his 160 hours then you are going to need to find someone to fill in for him when he decides to take the PTO.  If times are slow then you may be able to work with your team and find someone who would like to use up their PTO instead of sit around twiddling their thumbs.

My point being tom is that typically the comp time isnt x1.5. If it is great but personally i would rather have the money. :bc: 

• Platinum Contributing Member
Just now, Anler said:

Hey im all for it! I would love to fuck those greedy union fucks out of some money while sticking it in my pocket. :bc: 

You honestly think when someone takes time off the only cost is the salary/wage of when they are gone?   :lol:  

Loss of efficiency, extra staff to fill in the gaps are just a few of the costs companies have on the books when people take time off.  Damn I thought you knew business. :lol:  

• Like 1

Just now, Anler said:

You saw that as a being critical of your business?  So I was right in my "if you are" speculation?  Dude, that should be basic knowledge to ANYBODY running a business.  If you don't want this done...communicate with your employees to build a better workplace.

This is GOOD legislation.  The Dems will try and spin this anyway they can because it is continuing to chip away at the union forced strongholds....the Dem's bread and butter money.

4 minutes ago, Anler said:

Is that coming out of a fixed contract or is the customer paying more for it?  If its the latter, doesn't make much difference as your bottom line is intact.

Just now, Zambroski said:

You saw that as a being critical of your business?  So I was right in my "if you are" speculation?  Dude, that should be basic knowledge to ANYBODY running a business.  If you don't want this done...communicate with your employees to build a better workplace.

This is GOOD legislation.  The Dems will try and spin this anyway they can because it is continuing to chip away at the union forced strongholds....the Dem's bread and butter money.

Sure but unless you are bound to a labor contract i dont see why you cant already do this. I know several who get comp time. Its not an option for me but if it was you bet i would jump on it. Thats a huge saving for us as union overtime wages are $$$$