Check your account email address ×

overtime rule change?

• Platinum Contributing Member
2 minutes ago, Anler said:

Like i said, if the PTO is getting paid out at time and half what is the benefit? Why not just pay the x1.5? The employer doesnt have to pay it til later? The only reason I could see actually needing a law is that the IRS doesnt wait for its money. If it was a comp time situation you could wait to pay the payroll taxes at the time when the PTO is taken. Otherwise you would have to pay it at the time the OT was worked. So really there is no savings, the only benefit I see is protection for IRS penalties. :dunno: 

The benefit is the person wants more time off.  Thats why its called The Working Families Flexibility Act.  

I can see it actually causing employers to make sure they are not having ot and potentially hiring more workers to ensure the gap is covered.   Another win for the workforce.   

Edited by Highmark

2 minutes ago, Highmark said:

And I've been doing it for 25 years.  You are ignoring the fact that you probably have extra workers to handle the schedule changes.   That comes at a cost one way or another.

Well when you are running multiple projects on any given day schedules change by the minute. We adapt. If you are managing effectively then it doesnt necessarily need to cost extra. We pay a lot in overtime but it is mostly for weekend work in which I dont have a choice in what i can pay. Saturdays, Sundays and holidays are automatically overtime. But running shift work during the week it is pretty easy to move stuff around to avoid the overtime. 

1 minute ago, Highmark said:

The benefit is the person wants more time off.  Thats why its called The Working Families Flexibility Act.  

So what? He can work the overtime, get paid and then take a day off later on when he needs it. It costs the same at that point. My point is if the comp time is hour for hour then the employer is saving on overtime pay. 

3 minutes ago, Anler said:

Well when you are running multiple projects on any given day schedules change by the minute. We adapt. If you are managing effectively then it doesnt necessarily need to cost extra. We pay a lot in overtime but it is mostly for weekend work in which I dont have a choice in what i can pay. Saturdays, Sundays and holidays are automatically overtime. But running shift work during the week it is pretty easy to move stuff around to avoid the overtime. 

I'm simply saying if you have 10 guys and work scheduled for 10 guys something needs to happen when someone takes time off.   You need to add workers, use the others OT to fill in or push work out.   None of which is efficient for the company.  Pushing out is not always an option when other parts of the company depend on other parts.   Production flow.  

Edited by Highmark

Just now, Anler said:

So what? He can work the overtime, get paid and then take a day off later on when he needs it. It costs the same at that point. My point is if the comp time is hour for hour then the employer is saving on overtime pay. 

The point is this wasn't even an option for the employee.   The company didn't even have to offer it as an option.  If the bill gets signed it may.  :wall:

8 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

The benefit is that the employee can take the PTO in cash and still work if the PTO isn't used in 13 months.  IT's a benefit to the employee.  

So really there is no difference. He is getting paid for the OT no matter what. Just 13 months later. 

Just now, Highmark said:

The point is this wasn't even an option for the employee.   The company didn't even have to offer it as an option.  If the bill gets signed it may.  :wall:

Well there are companies who do this already even without a law in place. Like I said, The only benefit I can see where a law may be necessary is to protect the employer from IRS fines. Because the taxes were not paid at the time of work. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Anler said:

Not sure what the benefit is in that. :dunno: 

doesn't allow the employer to have a use it or lose it policy but does allow the employer/employee to carry from one year to the ext which in a business that is seasonal can be very important.  

Just now, Anler said:

Well there are companies who do this already even without a law in place. Like I said, The only benefit I can see where a law may be necessary is to protect the employer from IRS fines. Because the taxes were not paid at the time of work. 

Sure but do they give 1.5x off or just exchange the OT for straight pay off.   Again I'm not sure on the bill but it may FORCE companies to offer this.   

Just now, Angry ginger said:

doesn't allow the employer to have a use it or lose it policy but does allow the employer/employee to carry from one year to the ext which in a business that is seasonal can be very important.  

Sure i get that and understand that someone may want the paycheck later when work is slow so the wife doesnt spend it right away when you worked the overtime. But financially i dont see a benefit for the employer. And I think the use it or lose it benefits the employer, no? 

4 minutes ago, Anler said:

Sure i get that and understand that someone may want the paycheck later when work is slow so the wife doesnt spend it right away when you worked the overtime. But financially i dont see a benefit for the employer. And I think the use it or lose it benefits the employer, no? 

I don't see it as a financial benefit to either unless the current policy was OT traded for regular time off.   Then this is a benefit to the employee and not to the employer.  

31 minutes ago, Anler said:

there is no use it or lose it, end of 13 months the employee gets paid which keeps the employer from being able to keep saying no to the days off 

14 hours ago, Ez ryder said:

so awful paid vacation over overtime  yeah give my the paid vacation all day if I had a 9to5

So you would be cool with working 60 hours weeks for regular pay and then being told to take Wednesday and Thursday off at a time of year that doesn't work for you? 

How much would that reduce the pay for the average trade person? You know, the middle class that Trump told you he would help.

3 minutes ago, revkevsdi said:

So you would be cool with working 60 hours weeks for regular pay and then being told to take Wednesday and Thursday off at a time of year that doesn't work for you? 

How much would that reduce the pay for the average trade person? You know, the middle class that Trump told you he would help.

it Will ont changé there yr end gross 

5 minutes ago, revkevsdi said:

Can you show us the provision in the legislation that allows this to happen or are you just making shit up like slinger and his dipshit buddies.  

Post up a link bud or quit lying.  Nobody likes liars.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Highmark said:

I don't see it as a financial benefit to either unless the current policy was OT traded for regular time off.   Then this is a benefit to the employee and not to the employer.  

The major benefit would be if the Company no longer has to pay time and a half. Even without time and a half savings, if I had banked hours of my guys on a list and I could just send them home as soon as it was slow, I would save money and my employees would take home less pay. 

You guys should ask Mike Rowe what he thinks.

6 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

it Will ont changé there yr end gross 

Not if you trade straight time for straight time off. 

4 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Can you show us the provision in the legislation that allows this to happen or are you just making shit up like slinger and his dipshit buddies.  

Post up a link bud or quit lying.  Nobody likes liars.  

I was just following the speculation like everyone else here. 

You like liars. You like Trump...

4 minutes ago, revkevsdi said:

Angry Tom just got :owned::lol: 

4 minutes ago, revkevsdi said:

You're making shit up and passing it off as the truth.  That's called lying.  If you dislike Trumps lies so much then why would you do what you're claiming he does?  Post up a link that backs up your proposed scenario.  Let's see where you came up with this speculation.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SnowRider said:

Angry Tom just got :owned::lol: 

Dude, do your really have that kind of time to follow around Rev AND Ballsack for impromptu BJ's and reach arounds?  Are you that talented?  Oh, I bet you are!

And look....You or Rev have never "owned" anybody here.  You're both just idiots that think you have.

Poor SR....Get's owned.  Runs away for four months.  Comes back.....get's owned.

:lol:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BOHICA said:

Bloomberg has a good article on it. Democrats points don't make any sense.  This is good for employees to have a choice.  Comp time is not cheaper for employer.

https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2017-05-02/republicans-try-again-to-let-employers-offer-comp-for-overtime

It sure as hell is cheaper...$20 per hour paid for 10 hours of overtime at 1.5x=300 in employees pay, 10 hours given back later at 20 per hour = 200 cost to employer instead of 300, now if that was 20 weeks out of the year we are talking 2000 less pay per employee. Obviously the time off will be granted on the emplyers terms, and it could be a wed for one day, a bunch of half days, split up shift, it will not be days owed, it will be hours owed and they will tell you when you have to take those hours. This is a way for companies to manage labor costs and has zero benefit for the worker. It is simply a way to skirt overtime pay.

1 hour ago, revkevsdi said:

I think you missed the part about taking the time off at a MUTUALLY agreeable time that works for the employee and employer. Then if at the end of 13 months you haven't found that mutually agreed to time you get paid the uncollected O/T.

Myself I would be taking the time off. Even if it was something as basic as leaving a couple of hours early on a Friday and coming in a couple of hours late on a Monday during the summer months to avoid traffic to and from the cottage.

1 hour ago, revkevsdi said:

The major benefit would be if the Company no longer has to pay time and a half. Even without time and a half savings, if I had banked hours of my guys on a list and I could just send them home as soon as it was slow, I would save money and my employees would take home less pay. 

You guys should ask Mike Rowe what he thinks.

Who says they don't have to pay time and a half?   The worker gets that in equivalent time off so its equal to him.    

1 minute ago, 02sled said:

I think you missed the part about taking the time off at a MUTUALLY agreeable time that works for the employee and employer. Then if at the end of 13 months you haven't found that mutually agreed to time you get paid the uncollected O/T.

Myself I would be taking the time off. Even if it was something as basic as leaving a couple of hours early on a Friday and coming in a couple of hours late on a Monday during the summer months to avoid traffic to and from the cottage.

You forgot to mention that you would also suck managements cock just to be patted on the head and get an atta boy. Fuck off bootlicking moron.