Check your account email address ×

overtime rule change?

2 hours ago, Anler said:

So really there is no difference. He is getting paid for the OT no matter what. Just 13 months later. 

or he can say he isn't interested in the time off and wants to O/T now.... it's a choice that can be made. The scenarios I know of you typically work 1 hr O/T you can bank 1.5 hours off later

1 hour ago, Highmark said:

I don't see it as a financial benefit to either unless the current policy was OT traded for regular time off.   Then this is a benefit to the employee and not to the employer.  

For fucks sake man. :lol: 

1 hour ago, Angry ginger said:

there is no use it or lose it, end of 13 months the employee gets paid which keeps the employer from being able to keep saying no to the days off 

No shit sherlock. Im saying if there is a use it or lose it the it would benefit the employer as if the employee didnt use it the employER would not have to pay it. 

1 hour ago, revkevsdi said:

The major benefit would be if the Company no longer has to pay time and a half. Even without time and a half savings, if I had banked hours of my guys on a list and I could just send them home as soon as it was slow, I would save money and my employees would take home less pay. 

You guys should ask Mike Rowe what he thinks.

I know right? WTF kind of calculator are these guys using? 

• Gold Member
2 hours ago, Anler said:

So what? He can work the overtime, get paid and then take a day off later on when he needs it. It costs the same at that point. My point is if the comp time is hour for hour then the employer is saving on overtime pay. 

Under this republican plan comp time received is 1.5 of time off for every hour worked.  Or the employee can take the pay

from the bill itself for those that are confused about how time off will be given.  

(7) Use of Time-Off

• An employee who wants to use their accrued overtime time-off “shall be permitted by the employee’s employer to use such time within a reasonable period after making the request if the use of the compensatory time does not unduly disrupt the operations of the employer.”

Just now, BOHICA said:

Under this republican plan comp time received is 1.5 of time off for every hour worked.  Or the employee can take the pay

Right, so i see no benefit for the employer. Having to do record keeping for all of the banked hours just seems like extra adminstrative work to me. Pay the fucker and be done. 

1 minute ago, BOHICA said:

Wrong, it is one hour off for each hour of overtime. Go read the bill, I did.

• Platinum Contributing Member
4 minutes ago, Anler said:

No shit sherlock. Im saying if there is a use it or lose it the it would benefit the employer as if the employee didnt use it the employER would not have to pay it. 

If the previous policy was 1 hour of ot in exchange for one hour PTO then went to 1 hour of ot in exchange for 1.5 hours PTO how does that not benefit the employee?  

20 minutes ago, Boered said:

WRONG. Straight from the text of the bill.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/1180/text

“(s) Compensatory Time Off For Private Employees.—

“(1) GENERAL RULE.—An employee may receive, in accordance with this subsection and in lieu of monetary overtime compensation, compensatory time off at a rate not less than one and one-half hours for each hour of employment for which overtime compensation is required by this section.

Edited by Highmark

14 minutes ago, Boered said:

from the bill itself for those that are confused about how time off will be given.  

(7) Use of Time-Off

• An employee who wants to use their accrued overtime time-off “shall be permitted by the employee’s employer to use such time within a reasonable period after making the request if the use of the compensatory time does not unduly disrupt the operations of the employer.”

BFD.   This is no different than today.   If you got business that can make or break your company and 50% come for time off at the same time then its reasonable for some of it to be denied.  Completely depends on the contract or employee manual.

If you offer your employees vacation time, you may be wondering whether and when you can deny a vacation request. To answer this question, you must understand that, while there may be state laws regulating how vacation time accumulates and is compensated, there is no law that requires employers to provide their employees with paid or unpaid time off. Vacation time is thus generally only subject to the limitations and conditions contained in employment contracts and workplace handbooks. You maintain the ultimate authority -

See more at: http://blogs.findlaw.com/free_enterprise/2011/08/legal-to-deny-an-employees-vacation-request.html#sthash.mgYmnM72.dpuf

Edited by Highmark

• Gold Member
42 minutes ago, Boered said:

You are incorrect bro...  it's in the very first paragraph of the bill text.  For every hour worked in overtime compensatory time off will be 1.5 hours off.  I work 100 hours of overtime I will have 150 hours of paid time off.

https://www.congress.gov/115/bills/hr1180/BILLS-115hr1180rh.pdf

IMG_0328.thumb.PNG.5195b15dbdf89329948a086ba8ce8a6f.PNG

Edited by BOHICA

• Gold Member
1 hour ago, Anler said:

Right, so i see no benefit for the employer. Having to do record keeping for all of the banked hours just seems like extra adminstrative work to me. Pay the fucker and be done. 

I agree.  Paid time offers no value to an employer.  Cost the employer money.  Time off is a huge benefit to employee.  You for example stated that your straight time rate is $80 an hour....  you pay that $80 an hour when the employee takes of.  40 hour week off just cost you $3200 paid.

you stated your over time rate is $110 an hour....  so if you pay an employee 100 hours of overtime that just cost you $11000.  Your other employee chooses to take his 100 hours of overtime as 1.5 hours per ot hour worked comp time he will have 150 hours to take off at your straight time rate....  your straight time rate is $80 an hour times 150 hours that 100 hours just cost you $12000.  Plus somebody to fill that persons work for 150 hours while they are off

simple math bro and the employee just got a month off paid and really that $11k in OT after taxes is significantly less....  instead he could have a month off and do a few hours of cash money job wiring a house or some other electric gig while you pay him his time off.

all this is not withstanding of your companies profit.  

There is a hard number for cost of an employee straight time vs over time....  not considering profits...  pay overtime is way more cost effective vs comp time in lieu of ot.

Edited by BOHICA

1 minute ago, BOHICA said:

I agree.  Paid time offers no value to an employer.  Cost the employer money.  Time off is a huge benefit to employee.  You for example stated that your straight time rate is $80 an hour....  you pay that $80 an hour when the employee takes of.  40 hour week off just cost you $3200 paid.

you stated your over time rate is $110 an hour....  so if you pay an employee 100 hours of overtime that just cost you $11000.  Your other employee chooses to take his 100 hours of overtime as 1.5 hours per ot hour worked comp time he will have 150 hours to take off at your straight time rate....  your straight time rate is $80 an hour times 150 hours that 100 hours just cost you $12000.

simple math bro and the employee just got a month off paid and really that $11k in OT after taxes is significantly less....  instead he could have a month off and do a few hours of cash money job wiring a house or some other electric gig while you pay him his time off.

Seems simple to me. For paid time off I can pay an employee 4 hours of double time. That way I am only paying 4 hours of fringes instead of 8. Saves me more money. Plus I dont pay overtime on W/C rates so it is the cheapest way to pay for time off. there is no contract obligation to my workers that i offer paid leave. This is something I pay to my best employees so they really cant bitch about it as it is free money for them. And they make a shitload in overtime in the summer. 

• Gold Member
5 minutes ago, Anler said:

Seems simple to me. For paid time off I can pay an employee 4 hours of double time. That way I am only paying 4 hours of fringes instead of 8. Saves me more money. Plus I dont pay overtime on W/C rates so it is the cheapest way to pay for time off. there is no contract obligation to my workers that i offer paid leave. This is something I pay to my best employees so they really cant bitch about it as it is free money for them. And they make a shitload in overtime in the summer. 

Yep and this law would give all your employees the ability to have paid time off.  Just work a 100 hours of overtime for you. And you would be required by law if this was to pass to give the 150 hours of time off with pay and full bennies if the employee chooses that over the compensation.

Edited by BOHICA

22 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Yep and this law would give all your employees the ability to have paid time off.  Just work a 100 hours of overtime for you. And you would be required by law if this was to pass to give the 150 hours of time off with pay and full bennies if the employee chooses that over the compensation.

I think there is a section in there stating something on limits to 20 days (160 hours) of accrued PTO.   Not sure if this is including what the employee already gets or above and beyond.  Lots of workers already getting 160 hrs PTO.      

I can see this as being good for the job market.   Companies already running on some regular OT hiring in order to avoid it.   Lowers unemployment and increases wages.   Simple supply and demand.     

If you have 50 employee's working 45 hour weeks, 48 weeks a year that COULD accumulate a total of 18,000 hours of increased PTO.

50 x 5 x 48 x 1.5 = 18000.   Company would have to hire 9-10  new workers to make up the difference and eliminate OT.   Boom 20% increase in workforce if the company chose that route.  

Many shops work OT when busy because there are not enough good workers available to avoid it. 

Edited by Highmark

1 hour ago, Anler said:

But nothing has said it's use it or lose it so why go worst case and make your opinion based on that,  seems like something that the right and left wing hacks spend too much time doing i expect more from you.

As long as the time and a half is given as an hour and a half in comp time and the employee and the employer both want to do it that way it's a fair tradeoff to both.  

• Gold Member
20 minutes ago, Highmark said:

I think there is a section in there stating something on limits to 20 days (160 hours) of accrued PTO.   Not sure if this is including what the employee already gets or above and beyond.     

I can see this as being good for the job market.   Companies already running on some regular OT hiring in order to avoid it.   Lowers unemployment and increases wages.   Simple supply and demand.     

I would assume and pretty much sure this would be in addition to any other PTO as this is overtime comp time....  over time rate of pay original intent by the unions that got time and a half as a law was to penalize employers for working an employee over 40 a week.  

There is also wording in this bill, hr 1180, that covers and protects us union employees as well.  this is a great bill for working Americans.

not so much for employers, especially those that are large and have bargaining unit employees.

Edited by BOHICA

11 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

I would assume and pretty this would be in addition to any other PTO as this is overtime comp time....  over time rate of pay original intent by the unions that got time and a half as a law was to penalize employers for working an employee over 40 a week.  

There is also wording in this bill, hr 1180, that covers and protects us union employees as well.  this is a great bill for working Americans.

not so much for employers, especially those that are large and have bargaining unit employees.

Everything I've read so far I would agree as well.   

I know lots of companies who have to run OT because the quality of worker is not always there.   

CNC machine shops run OT all the time to make up for regular PTO.   If you have a $500K mill that is busy you don't let it sit idle.  Guy from 1st shift is off for a week guys on 2nd and 3rd work OT to make up the difference.   Especially if you don't have floaters built into the system to fill the gaps.   These floaters are already an increased cost to the company.    If there is no floater to fill in and the other guys worked 20 hours of OT each they just gained 30 hours of PTO and the cycle just repeats itself again until everyone is at the 160 max.  This will have an impact on hiring if its signed into law.  Companies will avoid OT like its the plague.  

Edited by Highmark

1 hour ago, BOHICA said:

You are incorrect bro...  it's in the very first paragraph of the bill text.  For every hour worked in overtime compensatory time off will be 1.5 hours off.  I work 100 hours of overtime I will have 150 hours of paid time off.

https://www.congress.gov/115/bills/hr1180/BILLS-115hr1180rh.pdf

IMG_0328.thumb.PNG.5195b15dbdf89329948a086ba8ce8a6f.PNG

Sorry you are correct, I misread that. I now have changed my entire opinion on this.

7 hours ago, low-1 said:

We are allowed to bank up to 80 hours at double time (120 if you are a member of the emergency response crew) as time off, non-replenishable for the fiscal year.  We also have the option to bank up to 45 hours at double time for an income stabilization bank, to maintain salary when on vacation or sick leave, and this is replenishable throughout the year.  Our contract is 1.5 hours guaranteed OT per day (all of our OT is 2x) as long as you are there to work it, hence the income stabilization bank.  We also have the opportunity to work much, much more than that, during maintenance and outages.  We are in a northern, remote work location.  I always fill up my banks, I like the time off.

Our salary and engineers are allowed to bank their OT already for time off. Hourly, we cannot. Only time I can bank vacation time is if I work a holiday. We then get paid double time (for up to 12 hours) and can bank 8 hour vacation.  If you decide not to bank the vacation, you would still get paid double time, plus 8 more hours , but only up to 8 hours.  If you work 12 on a holiday, those 4 hours of OT are only paid at double time, and you can't bank those additional 4 hours. 

On non holidays , we are paid 1.5, after 40 hours, 1.5 for Saturday's (if you worked 40 hours M-F ) Sundays are double time. 

6 hours ago, Woodtick said:

The fuck they are? 99%? What a dumb fuck.

image.jpg

Yep :lol:

That's how he always looks 

5 hours ago, Anler said:

They arent asking for it. Its not an option for me. Per our union contract I have to pay them Time and half and on Sundays and holidays its double time. 

You don't allow them to bank anything if they work holidays? 

3 hours ago, Zambroski said:

Dude, do your really have that kind of time to follow around Rev AND Ballsack for impromptu BJ's and reach arounds?  Are you that talented?  Oh, I bet you are!

And look....You or Rev have never "owned" anybody here.  You're both just idiots that think you have.

Poor SR....Get's owned.  Runs away for four months.  Comes back.....get's owned.

:lol:

a.jpg.74e4fc0086d97744c8aae21bc46bc08a.jpg.fbd8215196f4eef882e2a7d02a801e84.jpg

• Like 1

• Gold Member
23 minutes ago, Boered said:

Sorry you are correct, I misread that. I now have changed my entire opinion on this.

Everything is pretty much spelled out simply in the bill text.  This would be a huge benefit to workers and give them a choice that would benefit them the most.

3 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Everything is pretty much spelled out simply in the bill text.  This would be a huge benefit to workers and give them a choice that would benefit them the most.

I agree, I clicked on what I thought was the actual bill but was not it.....fucking dems, spreading bullshit again. Good for all it would seem.

26 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

What happened to slinger. Where did he go. Making up more fake News is my guess. 

This is what it has come to, worthless biased media reporting the fringes of information to push their agenda.  Just enough info to incite their followers that have no real interest in finding out the whole story.  All media are guilty, but none have been more so than the left over the last year and a half.  And their lies and information omissions before that were just as bad to protect Obama.

....and the unintellectual and uncaring of the American population suck it down and spew it out as fast as they can.  The more people repeat it, the more true it becomes.

Idiots.

• Like 1