Check your account email address ×

overtime rule change?

13 minutes ago, SnowRider said:

:lol: You're the EZALTFACTS guru :lol: 

no  the facts are facts and not what u want them to be to fit your crazy agenda . read the actual bill  not the huff post cliff notes

3 hours ago, AKIQPilot said:

You are a lying piece of shit. 

2 hours ago, AKIQPilot said:

Why are you such a lying piece of shit?  Serious question. 

There it is! 

Edited by Sleepr2

• Platinum Contributing Member
16 hours ago, Mileage Psycho said:

For as long as I have around the construction trades guys have always worked a deal to bank hours for various reasons, now if this new legislation becomes law (I doubt it will) you can bet your ass that employers will use it to there full advantage, such as I know Joe likes to bank hours so I'll make sure Joe and others like him get the majority of OT work so I can bank there money to earn income for me, it's a beautiful thing :bc: 

Oh shit Joe passed, I'll be sure to send flowers and tell the spouse how sorry I am....................., yea there are scumbags who are just hoping Joe didn't tell the old lady about the banked OT.

So the bill will make guys do illegal things that weren't doing illegal things to their employee's already. :lol:  

Just now, Mileage Psycho said:

I'm all for the bill, I just don't see it passing.

The dems will filibuster everything Trump wants passed, even legislation good for the American worker.   Its really sad.  

1 minute ago, Mileage Psycho said:

I'm all for the bill, I just don't see it passing.

Now you're all for it?  What changed your mind?  Did you actually read it after you started a negative thread about it and bashed it?  Then when the rest of us made it pretty clear it was a good thing, well, NOW you're on board.  Hey, sorry another thread didn't work out for you.  No worries though.....you'll be back in the Republican party in no time cutting a rug with those high rollers at the next inauguration! :lmao:

I know, know.................

You've chosen to ignore content by Zambroski. Options 

5 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

That bill is good for the employer.

:lol:  Better for the employee.   I can tell you from experience.  I've already posted a number of examples.  

In the end it will make employers try to avoid OT.  Not sure how that is 100% good for the employer.  

We've had years where we ran on average 5 hrs OT per week.  40 people that starts adding up in a hurry.   We didn't hire more as a benefit to the workers.   Cost us to run OT but it was worth it.  Also easier to deal with the slower times as you didn't have to lay anyone off or become less efficient.

I can tell you we would never do that now if this gets passed.   It would be too much time off which would just lead to more ot to make up for the people taking time off.  In the example above each worker would quickly work up to an additional 20 days off.  

Edited by Highmark

57 minutes ago, Highmark said:

:lol:  Better for the employee.   I can tell you from experience.  I've already posted a number of examples.  

In the end it will make employers try to avoid OT.  Not sure how that is 100% good for the employer.  

We've had years where we ran on average 5 hrs OT per week.  40 people that starts adding up in a hurry.   We didn't hire more as a benefit to the workers.   Cost us to run OT but it was worth it.  Also easier to deal with the slower times as you didn't have to lay anyone off or become less efficient.

I can tell you we would never do that now if this gets passed.   It would be too much time off which would just lead to more ot to make up for the people taking time off.  In the example above each worker would quickly work up to an additional 20 days off.  

why would it make an employer avoid OT,  they can just keep paying time and a half like they always have or offer an alternative.  Win win for both IMO.  

50 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

why would it make an employer avoid OT,  they can just keep paying time and a half like they always have or offer an alternative.  Win win for both IMO.  

You have to have the workforce available to fill in when people are gone.   Otherwise you are doing it on more OT creating more PTO.   Not every company can just push stuff out.   Some of have PO contracts where stuff has to be done within certain dates.  

This could increase PTO for existing workers. 

Edited by Highmark

• Gold Member

We don't staff extra lineman.  Cost to much to have an extra full time employee sitting on the clock just waiting for somebody to take time off so they can fill in.  Elk, deer, antelope, wolf, etc etc seasons are really rough on utilities.  Paid time off plus temps from the hall to fill in to get the work done.  Books get pretty skinny when it's hunting season or a hurricane.  Cost are big getting temps in but not as much as it would be staffing people year round for when people take off.

hard to believe people would believe paying a guy to stay home for up to an additional 4 weeks in addition to any other PTO has any cost benefit is unbelievable. Unless your overstaffed to begin with which isn't cost effective anyway you look at.

Edited by BOHICA

1 hour ago, BOHICA said:

We don't staff extra lineman.  Cost to much to have an extra full time employee sitting on the clock just waiting for somebody to take time off so they can fill in.  Elk, deer, antelope, wolf, etc etc seasons are really rough on utilities.  Paid time off plus temps from the hall to fill in to get the work done.  Books get pretty skinny when it's hunting season or a hurricane.  Cost are big getting temps in but not as much as it would be staffing people year round for when people take off.

hard to believe people would believe paying a guy to stay home for up to an additional 4 weeks in addition to any other PTO has any cost benefit is unbelievable. Unless your overstaffed to begin with which isn't cost effective anyway you look at.

:bc:

2 hours ago, Highmark said:

You have to have the workforce available to fill in when people are gone.   Otherwise you are doing it on more OT creating more PTO.   Not every company can just push stuff out.   Some of have PO contracts where stuff has to be done within certain dates.  

This could increase PTO for existing workers. 

how do you figure,  it is no different from today other than giving a company the choice of whether to pay OT or give PTO as an option. If the company needs the people to work they don't grant the PTO and then they have to pay down the road.  

39 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

how do you figure,  it is no different from today other than giving a company the choice of whether to pay OT or give PTO as an option. If the company needs the people to work they don't grant the PTO and then they have to pay down the road.  

I agree that it depends on the details of the law.   Does the employee have the choice or does it have to be mutually agreed upon.   Without question any impact is only felt if there is extra PTO taken but if it is its to the benefit of the employee, not the employer.  As Bohica and I have stated much PTO is covered by more OT of existing workers.  Again pending details in the law and the allowances of the company covering PTO with overtime simply creates more PTO.   Not sure why that is difficult to see. :dunno:  

Edited by Highmark

24 minutes ago, SVT Renegade XRS said:

You should be kicked in the face then 

Don't cry when Donald and the R's fuck you and your union in the ass :bc: 

8 minutes ago, SVT Renegade XRS said:

Ain't gonna happen 

It should :bc: 

Poimt me to where Donald and/or R's strongly or even remotely support unions... :lol: Actions? Legislstion?  Rhetoric?  Promises? :lmao: 

Edited by SnowRider

• Gold Member
2 hours ago, SnowRider said:

It should :bc: 

Poimt me to where Donald and/or R's strongly or even remotely support unions... :lol: Actions? Legislstion?  Rhetoric?  Promises? :lmao: 

One of the first days as president he removed us from the table on Hillary's gold standard of all trade agreements with somethird world country that her and Obama were trying to shove down our asses.  That right there shows he is more for the American worker then any president the past few decades.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BOHICA said:

With the way the money flow and scheduling works in the construction industry the banked pay is a beautiful thing for the contractor, I hope the bill passes but I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for it.

I have had many men through the years who wanted their time banked for a myriad of reasons none of which are any of my business but most just have to share the story LOL, in any event it's the long time employee that requests it as any project hires knowing that everyone in the trades is only good as there last day worked isn't going allow any goddamned contractor to hold there coin for any amount of time :lol:  

Edited by Mileage Psycho

4 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

With the way the money flow and scheduling works in the construction industry the banked pay is a beautiful thing for the contractor, I hope the bill passes but I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for it.

I have had many men through the years who wanted their time banked for a myriad of reasons none of which are any of my business but most just have to share the story LOL, in any event it's the long time employee that requests it as any project hires knowing that everyone in the trades is only good as there last worked isn't going allow any goddamned contractor to hold there coin for any amount of time :lol:  

:lol: