Check your account email address ×

Speaking of fancey gadgets

7 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

A customer gave me a wifi garage door opener. Anyone have one? Is it worth the time to install ?

Is this a smart home thing? I've done kitchens for people that let our guys in with an app when they aren't around. It would be just ad easy to set a temp code on the panel...

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 minute ago, SkisNH said:

Is this a smart home thing? I've done kitchens for people that let our guys in with an app when they aren't around. It would be just ad easy to set a temp code on the panel...

Pretty much I guess. Wire it and download the app. Then can open door when not around

I have dogs , I dont see myself opening house for someone when no one is home.

Huh ... interesting.  Definitely not surprising, given all of the "ease of use" stuff that's out there - but I've never given this much thought.  I'm too much of a simpleton (someone here, told me so!) and 99% of the time I'm OK with opening my garage door from the controllers in my vehicles or as I step into the garage.  If you wanted to let people in, or provide a spot for deliveries while not being at home ... I guess this would make sense.

• Gold Member
8 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

A customer gave me a wifi garage door opener. Anyone have one? Is it worth the time to install ?

Unless yours is broken or you don't have one to start with just save it for a replacement. I put one in my mom's house before we sold it because the old one didn't have provisions for safety beam on it. Didn't pass inspection and it was in the cheapest replacement I could find. 

Never connected the wifi

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bontz said:

Huh ... interesting.  Definitely not surprising, given all of the "ease of use" stuff that's out there - but I've never given this much thought.  I'm too much of a simpleton (someone here, told me so!) and 99% of the time I'm OK with opening my garage door from the controllers in my vehicles or as I step into the garage.  If you wanted to let people in, or provide a spot for deliveries while not being at home ... I guess this would make sense.

A few yrs back my wife asked me about one and I said' What is so hard about hitting the butten, who the hell wants to take out phone , find the app and then hit button.

• Like 1

Yes, definitely worth it. Can set it to notify you if it opens between certain hours, logs when it opens and closes throughout the day, and can have it auto close at a time of your choosing if you forget at night.

Edited by akvanden

I’ve had to replace two garage door openers and added one to a 3rd stall that never had one - all WiFi and would never go back.  Yes, the button in the cars is the easiest, but as noted by the two posts above, I like it and the features it provides.

17 hours ago, steve from amherst said:

A few yrs back my wife asked me about one and I said' What is so hard about hitting the butten, who the hell wants to take out phone , find the app and then hit button.

Alexa - Open the garage door - - - Opening the garage door.

13 hours ago, akvanden said:

Yes, definitely worth it. Can set it to notify you if it opens between certain hours, logs when it opens and closes throughout the day, and can have it auto close at a time of your choosing if you forget at night.

I just installed one last month in the wifes bay.  I suppose I should get the app and activate it.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, steve from amherst said:

I've had one for a few yrs now. It's gimmicky. I use the button and key pad.

Love mine! Now I just check my phone to see if I closed the door or not. No more turning back around and driving home to see if I closed it or not. No more getting out of bed at night  lol  

14 hours ago, Jerry 976 said:

Alexa - Open the garage door - - - Opening the garage door.

Which works while driving hands free.  Just hit the steering wheel button and say "open garage 4" and drive in.  Nice part is you can do it from further away so it is fully open by the time you arrive.