Check your account email address ×

Why nurses say they are striking and quitting in droves

36 minutes ago, ACE said:

Lots quitting here because our free health care has people polluting the ER looking for pills and they treat the nurses and doctors like absolute shit. Younger nurses are moving more into stuff like personal care 

Exactly.  ACA is causing the same issues here.

• Platinum Contributing Member
3 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

My daughter is in nursing school and currently is working in a hospital as a care aide and it doesn’t sound good. She is still enthusiastic about getting her degree and entering the nursing workforce but I do worry some.

Not exactly sure on the details but my one cousin has been doing the traveling nurse thing I believe and she loves it. Sounds like it's pretty good money also  :dunno: 

3 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Have you seen an increase in the past two years or even more recent?

I think its gonna get much worse.

Yep pay bump plus annual bonus plus a spot bonus   :thumbsup: 

28 minutes ago, f7ben said:

:lol: fucking retarded sock puppet

Oh, so it's just a coincidence that the ACA was signed and went into effect in 2010, but now, 13 years later we have nurses who are striking and quitting. 

Just a coincidence.  No connection what-so-ever.

Edited by racer254

36 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

Not exactly sure on the details but my one cousin has been doing the traveling nurse thing I believe and she loves it. Sounds like it's pretty good money also  :dunno: 

She has met a few traveling nurses and it’s definitely something she wants to explore.

16 minutes ago, racer254 said:

Oh, so it's just a coincidence that the ACA was signed and went into effect in 2010, but now, 13 years later we have nurses who are striking and quitting. 

Just a coincidence.  No connection what-so-ever.

So it took 13 years ‘eh…by the way the same people you are blaming have always utilized the hc system via ER’s.

46 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

She has met a few traveling nurses and it’s definitely something she wants to explore.

My sister in law makes a damn good living doing exactly that.  Gets her out of being locked down in a hospital setting and some of the crazy hrs they have to work.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mainecat said:

Seems I am the only one who read the link.

Because you have a subscription to the place. I’m not going to sign up for a subscription just to read an article from a media source that I won’t regularly use. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

So it took 13 years ‘eh…by the way the same people you are blaming have always utilized the hc system via ER’s.

YES, it took 13 years to effect the industry to the point that we have articles like this.  Add to that the millions of immigrants coming in to the US and it is a huge burden on the system.

Edited by racer254

8 minutes ago, racer254 said:

YES, it took 13 years to effect the industry to the point that we have articles like this.  Add to that the millions of immigrants coming in to the US and it is a huge burden on the system.

Stay on topic…if anything the ACA has lessened the burden as people are less likely to use the ER for their primary care.

In the years leading into the pandemic, there were roughly enough new nurses entering the pipeline to replace the ones that retired, according to a 2022 McKinsey & Co report titled “Assessing the lingering impact of COVID-19 on the nursing workforce.” But covid changed everything. “Over the past two years, McKinsey found that nurses consistently, and increasingly, report planning to leave the workforce at higher rates compared with the past decade,” the report found, a trend that continued even as covid cases fell.

From coast to coast, mounting nursing shortages have triggered a widespread set of issues for nurses and patients, according to conversations with nine nurses. Nurses say there have been significant declines in patient care, including delayed cancer treatments and critical checkups for expecting mothers. Medications are administered late or missed altogether. The shortage has also taken a toll on nurses’ mental and physical health, as they are forced to skip meal and rest breaks and get little recovery time between shifts.

Edited by Jimmy Snacks

2 hours ago, Skidooski said:

1 hour ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

56 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

My sister in law makes a damn good living doing exactly that.  Gets her out of being locked down in a hospital setting and some of the crazy hrs they have to work.

Yup my niece, although Canadian has been working as a travelling nurse in the US for the last 7-8 years and loves the change of job sites and takes absolute full advantage of where ever she is, surf's now after being in Hawaii and California. Now she met a guy who loves to travel and his work allows him  to also so they live life like a vacation. It's great seeing all her pics from all over the USA :thumbsup:

• Gold Member

I met a traveling Nurse last year Snowmobiling in Vermont. She was working mostly in the Midwest , flew home to VT just to ride her Sled for the weekend. She had same exact Pro S as me actually thats how we started talking.  She said she loved it and got paid well. Seems like a good gig for young single people not tied down. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, racer254 said:

Keep making excuses for the ACA.  It didn't help this issue and we have a stuation like this because of the border, COVID and the ACA.

So it's Trumps fault?

1 hour ago, racer254 said:

Keep making excuses for the ACA.  It didn't help this issue and we have a stuation like this because of the border, COVID and the ACA.

Donald’s Healthcare plan fixed all that….oh wait….it’s two weeks away :lol: 

8 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

My daughter is in nursing school and currently is working in a hospital as a care aide and it doesn’t sound good. She is still enthusiastic about getting her degree and entering the nursing workforce but I do worry some.

Surgical nursing is probably the best nursing gig. 

• Like 1