Check your account email address ×

2023 Riding season reports

1 hour ago, mnstang said:

No snow shortage in northern MN.  All of my trails are a total mess though, never seen it this bad 

there's an overwhelming lack of save the base police

nothing local open... because they knew the shit weather was soon to follow the blizzardnadopocolypse 

3 hours ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

I have less into the current two that I own, than it would take to buy one new one. I could also off both of them for more than I paid for them, tomorrow. So yeah, I won’t buy new anymore, for sure. 

I'm really close to a new premium 600 with both of mine and the trailer that I enjoy riding.  we'll see how this new Cat chassis pans out, then I might ante up  

23 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

nothing local open... because they knew the shit weather was soon to follow the blizzardnadopocolypse 

I'm really close to a new premium 600 with both of mine and the trailer that I enjoy riding.  we'll see how this new Cat chassis pans out, then I might ante up  

I thought about selling both of mine for one new one. I don’t like to comprise though. I’m spoiled having one of each now. I have serious thoughts about offing the 600 for an 800 though. I’ve seen a few that I could buy without a dime out of my pocket with only one phone call to sell my 600. I definitely want to upgrade my RMK to an Axys chassis though. Rode a Matryx chassis RMK last year. Didn’t like it at all. 

9 hours ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

Wife and I took our sleds up to the in laws Monday. Got a quick 40 mile ride in Tuesday before it went to shit quick yesterday. Now, it’s all bare and pretty much starting completely over again. Not a lick of snow accumulation in the 10 day forecast either. This shit is getting old, that much I know. 

0C81BA24-807C-4ED9-8218-FCD4F93F044B.jpeg

At least you got to scratch the itch.  I managed 60 miles last weekend, might be it for a while.  New England is done after this weekend, nothing open, forecast is raining hot water.  I am hoping to rally the troops and head to Quebec next week, they still have snow. 

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Trails in MN are open from December 1 until April 1 for trails that cross private and never close on public lands.

Our base is just fine when I said they're a mess i mean my private trails, from trees and brush bending over from the snow weight.  I haven't even got to the snowmobile trail yet, it's going to take a lot more work just to get there and then I told the club that I'd clear a 5 mile section because they've been overwhelmed with trail clearing also but I may have over promised if they are anything like my trails.  Entire trails are closed in with constant trees bent over all the way to the ground and the tree tips are stuck in the snow.  This is every couple of feet.

49 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

At least you got to scratch the itch.  I managed 60 miles last weekend, might be it for a while.  New England is done after this weekend, nothing open, forecast is raining hot water.  I am hoping to rally the troops and head to Quebec next week, they still have snow. 

Everything in the lower is pretty much completely wiped out here. The UP is hurting now too. Same forecast for us as well. Shit sucks. 

10 hours ago, mnstang said:

Trails in MN are open from December 1 until April 1 for trails that cross private and never close on public lands.

Our base is just fine when I said they're a mess i mean my private trails, from trees and brush bending over from the snow weight.  I haven't even got to the snowmobile trail yet, it's going to take a lot more work just to get there and then I told the club that I'd clear a 5 mile section because they've been overwhelmed with trail clearing also but I may have over promised if they are anything like my trails.  Entire trails are closed in with constant trees bent over all the way to the ground and the tree tips are stuck in the snow.  This is every couple of feet.

Definitely a mess for sure. The local clubs are close to  getting most trails opened up around here.

• Like 1

Well my trails were a disaster but the clubs have done so much work on the sled trails, I only did minimum trimming at a few spots on the snowmobile trail and most have been groomed already.  They say another 3-8" coming.  Looks like a banner year.

PXL_20221231_224529798.jpg

PXL_20221231_183808407.jpg

PXL_20221231_200531818.jpg

• Like 2

well ny started off banging but as usual xmas comes and zeros it out. been mid 50s here for days. i don't have as much as a snowflake. i usually aim for after the 1st to avoid the early shit show. i think this the 3rd year of warm start to january. last year we had 6 weeks, mid jan to the end of feb. turned off like a switch. so much for the awesome days of march riding. 

• Sad 1

• Gold Member
1 hour ago, sleepybrew said:

well ny started off banging but as usual xmas comes and zeros it out. been mid 50s here for days. i don't have as much as a snowflake. i usually aim for after the 1st to avoid the early shit show. i think this the 3rd year of warm start to january. last year we had 6 weeks, mid jan to the end of feb. turned off like a switch. so much for the awesome days of march riding. 

Fucking sucks don’t it. Little left in shady spots here but we still got 5 or 6 more days of 45+ with a 60 on Wednesday everything’s gonna be dirt again with no snow any time soon 😢 

• 2 weeks later...

ya know, we started off great for snow... then it got colder than cold... and now it just totally sucks locally.  none of my local trails are open and really I'm not interested in going north with the weekend warriors from the flatlands... 

:sad: 

I am jealous.  Just was talking to a guy in Conover with a 2022 XCR that he got in February has 7500 miles on.  Seen it on his display.  He worked construction and is laid off during the winter.  Dam....

• Like 2

This has to be one of the most shittiest seasons that I can remember. It’s the UP or absolutely nothing here in Michigan and everyone from the entire Midwest, and some from out east, are up there. I hear it’s ok to poor riding at that. I have a trip planned to be up there next weekend. Hoping for some fresh before then but I won’t hold my breath. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

This has to be one of the most shittiest seasons that I can remember. It’s the UP or absolutely nothing here in Michigan and everyone from the entire Midwest, and some from out east, are up there. I hear it’s ok to poor riding at that. I have a trip planned to be up there next weekend. Hoping for some fresh before then but I won’t hold my breath. 

Exact opposite here. Probably the widest area of rideable snow Minnesota has had in awhile. 

Northern Wisconsin is good in most areas during the week but still on the lite side for snow.  Need more fresh snow because the snow is turning to sugar and not packing as good when the clubs groom.  This past Saturday was the first Saturday I rode and traffic was crazy.  As much as the clubs try the trails won't hold up to the traffic on the weekends without fresh snow.

Disappointing ride today.  Was supposed to be a guide for the Military Family ride today and guide 12 people on a ride. Showed up at 7:00 to help bring rental sleds over to rain.  The area clubs all made an extra effort to get the trails groomed last night and the rain was supposed to show up at 1:00 or 2:00 this afternoon.  Not

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, Doug said:

Northern Wisconsin is good in most areas during the week but still on the lite side for snow.  Need more fresh snow because the snow is turning to sugar and not packing as good when the clubs groom.  This past Saturday was the first Saturday I rode and traffic was crazy.  As much as the clubs try the trails won't hold up to the traffic on the weekends without fresh snow.

Kinda similar thing here. 12-14" of heavy snow that knocked the trees down and another 10" a week later so it really couldn't get packed to establish a good base.

1 hour ago, Doug said:

Disappointing ride today.  Was supposed to be a guide for the Military Family ride today and guide 12 people on a ride. Showed up at 7:00 to help bring rental sleds over to rain.  The area clubs all made an extra effort to get the trails groomed last night and the rain was supposed to show up at 1:00 or 2:00 this afternoon.  Not

That sucks ... especially for a good cause like that one.

• Like 1

• Gold Member
20 hours ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

It’s the same here looking at a dusting of snow from overnight barely enough to cover the grass 😢. Nothing in NH open and most of Maine is the same way I believe. 10 day looks like shit too no snow and not very cold either. Could always do what @DriftBusta did and go 16hrs up to Quebec to find some snow I guess but I’m hoping for a good February to at least ride somewhere with a somewhat reasonable drive time 🤞 

Edited by 800renegaderider

20 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

It’s the same here looking at a dusting of snow from overnight barely enough to cover the grass 😢. Nothing in NH open and most of Maine is the same way I believe. 10 day looks like shit too no snow and not very cold either. Could always do what @DriftBusta did and go 16hrs up to Quebec to find some snow I guess but I’m hoping for a good February to at least ride somewhere with a somewhat reasonable drive time 🤞 

I shouldn’t bitch too much because honestly, until all of the rain today, almost all of the UP has been good trail riding. Should have been just making the trip up there to ride but I don’t have many riding buddies that trail ride anymore. Plus, it’s 5-6 hour drive. That Duramax in my garage doesn’t run on cheap gas either. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Doug said:

Bontz you get your sled yet?

Nope .. Polaris is really impressing me with this bullshit of theirs :wall:  Not only have they cost me some of the best local riding we've had in a while, they also cost me my annual trip with the fellas last week/weekend.  My build & ship date range was enough to piss me off (Jan 3 - Jan 13) but now it's pushed out to the end of January.  The silver lining is, my dealer got ahold of me last week to say he's got an XCR coming in that I could swap into .... so that's my plan.  Hopefully that works out before next week because the next trip I'm schedule to be on is our saddle bag trip in the U.P.

• Sad 1