2023 Riding season reports

2 minutes ago, Bontz said:

Nope .. Polaris is really impressing me with this bullshit of theirs :wall:  Not only have they cost me some of the best local riding we've had in a while, they also cost me my annual trip with the fellas last week/weekend.  My build & ship date range was enough to piss me off (Jan 3 - Jan 13) but now it's pushed out to the end of January.  The silver lining is, my dealer got ahold of me last week to say he's got an XCR coming in that I could swap into .... so that's my plan.  Hopefully that works out before next week because the next trip I'm schedule to be on is our saddle bag trip in the U.P.

Oof. That's brutal.  I know there's some Cat guys waiting on R-XCs as well and a buddy of mine can't seem to get his Polaris stop-ride recall done.  The season is too short for this. 

• Sad 1

Just now, Premium said:

Oof. That's brutal.  I know there's some Cat guys waiting on R-XCs as well and a buddy of mine can't seem to get his Polaris stop-ride recall done.  The season is too short for this. 

Yeah - I guess I can at least say it's not a Polaris thing as a guy in our crew is also waiting on his Cat R-XC.  He rode his wife's sled on last week's trip but over New Year's he was forced to ride a late 90's Indy.  Let's just say he wasn't very happy either!

If I could go back in time and would have ordered my '22 XCR as an 850 instead of the 650, everything would be good.  Dumb ass lesson learned.

23 minutes ago, Bontz said:

Nope .. Polaris is really impressing me with this bullshit of theirs :wall:  Not only have they cost me some of the best local riding we've had in a while, they also cost me my annual trip with the fellas last week/weekend.  My build & ship date range was enough to piss me off (Jan 3 - Jan 13) but now it's pushed out to the end of January.  The silver lining is, my dealer got ahold of me last week to say he's got an XCR coming in that I could swap into .... so that's my plan.  Hopefully that works out before next week because the next trip I'm schedule to be on is our saddle bag trip in the U.P.

Last year a friends sled was late so Polaris paid him to rent a sled for a long weekend but I know there was some limitations on that.  You'll like the XCR and take advantage of the hi/lo shocks.  Is it a 129 or 136?

17 minutes ago, Doug said:

Last year a friends sled was late so Polaris paid him to rent a sled for a long weekend but I know there was some limitations on that.  You'll like the XCR and take advantage of the hi/lo shocks.  Is it a 129 or 136?

Other than not being super impressed with the 650 in the wide open areas, I liked my XCR. I’m confident I’ll love this one too (it’s an 850 with a 136” Cobra 1.352) … I just wanted to try the QS3’s for a change. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

This has to be one of the most shittiest seasons that I can remember. It’s the UP or absolutely nothing here in Michigan and everyone from the entire Midwest, and some from out east, are up there. I hear it’s ok to poor riding at that. I have a trip planned to be up there next weekend. Hoping for some fresh before then but I won’t hold my breath. 

most f'd up winter I've seen since '14 when it hardly snowed and was just cold af from november until march... 

3 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

most f'd up winter I've seen since '14 when it hardly snowed and was just cold af from november until march... 

I can remember going up to Seney for a long weekend in the February of ‘98, with my brand new 98 Vmax 600 SX just to be completely skunked. Had to keep driving west to find snow. Found just enough to ride around Wetmore so we stopped, got a hotel room and rode from there. Got caught trying to come into the north end of Shingleton through 3-4 miles of mud just to get some fuel because that POS 600 twin Yammie wouldn’t make the trip back to Munising from Grand Marais because we made a side stop at the Bear Trap. Rode the side of M-28 back to the hotel in Wetmore, packed it up and headed home after one full day of riding because it was so shitty.

That was the closest year that I can remember to this. I’m sure there’s been others but they all seem to blend together anymore. That and I think my old brain just tries to block out the trauma anymore. We use to ride out of Houghton Lake every weekend practically, from just before Christmas until mid-late February back in 2000-2013ish. I don’t think you could even ride a sled around that area more than a few weekends a year the past 3-4 years. 

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

I can remember going up to Seney for a long weekend in the February of ‘98, with my brand new 98 Vmax 600 SX just to be completely skunked. Had to keep driving west to find snow. Found just enough to ride around Wetmore so we stopped, got a hotel room and rode from there. Got caught trying to come into the north end of Shingleton through 3-4 miles of mud just to get some fuel because that POS 600 twin Yammie wouldn’t make the trip back to Munising from Grand Marais because we made a side stop at the Bear Trap. Rode the side of M-28 back to the hotel in Wetmore, packed it up and headed home after one full day of riding because it was so shitty.

That was the closest year that I can remember to this. I’m sure there’s been others but they all seem to blend together anymore. That and I think my old brain just tries to block out the trauma anymore. We use to ride out of Houghton Lake every weekend practically, from just before Christmas until mid-late February back in 2000-2013ish. I don’t think you could even ride a sled around that area more than a few weekends a year the past 3-4 years. 

I was very optimistic... in December

11 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

I hear that.  The northeast including much of Quebec had crap for snow until last weekend, now it seems that theres snow everywhere out this way.  You guys had a much better start though than we did.

• Like 1

What’s weird is all summer you got rain rain rain there in central Sconnie, and MN was border line drought.  My how the moisture location has shifted just a couple hundred miles going into winter…

• Sad 1

That's interesting because that was one of the best winters in the last 20 years in western lower Michigan.  Of course, we benefit from lake effect when it's really cold like that.  Staying consistently cold is the biggest issue down here....we'll get dumped on but it'll be gone within the week.  That constant cold of winter 13/14 made for some awesome riding.  I prob put over 1000 miles on just riding from home.

1 hour ago, Premium said:

That's interesting because that was one of the best winters in the last 20 years in western lower Michigan.  Of course, we benefit from lake effect when it's really cold like that.  Staying consistently cold is the biggest issue down here....we'll get dumped on but it'll be gone within the week.  That constant cold of winter 13/14 made for some awesome riding.  I prob put over 1000 miles on just riding from home.

13/14 was the same here. Lots of cold but we had a pile of snow. I was ice fishing until end of April that year.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DriftBusta said:

I hear that.  The northeast including much of Quebec had crap for snow until last weekend, now it seems that theres snow everywhere out this way.  You guys had a much better start though than we did.

had a friend from Quebec pm me last night... he suggested hopping on a plane and he'd pick me up in Quebec City

received_1265414864061127.jpeg

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

had a friend from Quebec pm me last night... he suggested hopping on a plane and he'd pick me up in Quebec City

received_1265414864061127.jpeg

We rode out of Forestville north of the seaway.  Did about 550 miles and rode up around Mt Valin.  Awesome riding, but we had to trailer another 300 miles from our camp in Jackman.  Now we can ride right from camp to get there.  

95260A1A-0221-4D2E-927C-EEFE411530B6.jpeg

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

The winter of '95 or '96 (I forget exactly what year) was terrible also.

• 1 month later...

the season that seemingly died lives again... 11" solid on the Triton gauge which doesn't get drifted upon around Wausau.  waiting for clubs to groom and county to hit the reset button so we can start racking miles again and avoid the shit show 'up north'.  ;)

IMG_20230223_173116811.jpg

IMG_20230223_173805215.jpg

IMG_20230223_173817638.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...