Check your account email address ×

if I were retired, I'd honestly have to ask myself if I deserve it.

Never liked to rely on anything or one financially. Figured early on my retirement was what I made of it and didn't plan to rely on SS or a retirement plan from an employer.  Bought my first house at the age of 19.  Had rental property and if you put up with the headache can work out well.  Sold all our rentals over the past 3 years without regret.  Every time I went riding or on vacation needed a backup plan in case something needed to be addressed.  My Niece is a financial adviser and has done very well for herself and us.

Retired is determining what you want to do in retirement early on and have a plan to achieve that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 800renegaderider said:

Exactly. I don’t know why anyone would slave unloading trucks at ups for the “awesome 18hr” in hopes you last long enough to maybe get a decent job there. People see this that’s why they can’t get help or if they do they don’t last. You can apprentice in a trade like electrician, plumber, mechanic, hvac whatever and make that same pay to start and have way more earnings potential down the road once your skill is perfected. The guys I worked with there didn’t call it Us People Slaves for nothing 😂 glad I quit and learned a trade make a hell of a lot more.

I did a kitchen for a UPS guy...dude was making 80k+ for dropping of packages. Doesn't seem like slave wages. 

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
28 minutes ago, SkisNH said:

I did a kitchen for a UPS guy...dude was making 80k+ for dropping of packages. Doesn't seem like slave wages. 

Many drivers are making 120k plus..:news:..if you want overtime, you got it....wanna work saturdays for over $1 per minute.....no problem. Sky is the limit.

34 minutes ago, SkisNH said:

Right. Pretty sure he’s talking about their entry level positions. I don’t think they ever really hire drivers off the street. Even if they did, highly doubt that base starting wage without OT is anything super close to $80k. 

• Gold Member
2 hours ago, SkisNH said:

80k doesn’t even max out SS contributions.  Not that great compared to what else is out there.

4 hours ago, Doug said:

Never liked to rely on anything or one financially. Figured early on my retirement was what I made of it and didn't plan to rely on SS or a retirement plan from an employer.  Bought my first house at the age of 19.  Had rental property and if you put up with the headache can work out well.  Sold all our rentals over the past 3 years without regret.  Every time I went riding or on vacation needed a backup plan in case something needed to be addressed.  My Niece is a financial adviser and has done very well for herself and us.

Retired is determining what you want to do in retirement early on and have a plan to achieve that.

Similar path, I'm a financial advisor and we just sold all our rental properties.  The caliber of the tenants in our case just really has gone downhill for us in the past few years.  Was glad to rid ourselves of the headaches and buillshit, especially not being able to evict non payers. I hear ya on the phone call emergencies and whatnot while we were away riding. Only regret is we put a whole bunch of $ into the market a year ago in Sept., and its taken a beating like most people in the market.  We'll ride it out and get the values back up.  

I don’t worry about my family because we’re pretty good with money. My wife’s siblings are a mess. They’re almost all overextended and don’t have anything saved.

I picture at least one, maybe more living in my basement when I retire…it’s ugly.

Will be taking SS at 62.....pros and cons of waiting longer to collect a larger check. Will take X amount of time to catch up on taking it early.

My SS is not needed but will gladly take since I paid into it all these years and figure I may as well take early while I am still healthy and can enjoy the extra money coming in....nothing is certain in life. I have already exceeded what I thought my life expectancy would be:lol:

49 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

Similar path, I'm a financial advisor and we just sold all our rental properties.  The caliber of the tenants in our case just really has gone downhill for us in the past few years.  Was glad to rid ourselves of the headaches and buillshit, especially not being able to evict non payers. I hear ya on the phone call emergencies and whatnot while we were away riding. Only regret is we put a whole bunch of $ into the market a year ago in Sept., and its taken a beating like most people in the market.  We'll ride it out and get the values back up.  

The Covid time frame was brutal for some friends of ours with rental property. Couple of their rentals were basically destroyed because they couldn't get them out during Covid and they played the game.  Fortunately we didn't have to deal with that.

My niece has some rentals in Arizona where she lives and rents them out to visiting nurses.  You know they are normaly quality people and are employed.

You do have turn around but she has never had an issue with open rentals and minimal repair if any.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Doug said:

I sold a multi unit rental over a year ago. I had it over 25 years. Liquidated almost all assets. I have no complaints. I just wanted to be free of as many stressors and headaches possible. 

9 hours ago, Edmo said:

I don’t worry about my family because we’re pretty good with money. My wife’s siblings are a mess. They’re almost all overextended and don’t have anything saved.

I picture at least one, maybe more living in my basement when I retire…it’s ugly.

My wife and I have been raising our parents for some years now. :flush:

9 hours ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

Will be taking SS at 62.....pros and cons of waiting longer to collect a larger check. Will take X amount of time to catch up on taking it early.

My SS is not needed but will gladly take since I paid into it all these years and figure I may as well take early while I am still healthy and can enjoy the extra money coming in....nothing is certain in life. I have already exceeded what I thought my life expectancy would be:lol:

I took the CPP( Canada Pension Plan) at 60 at a small reduced rate and worked for 6 more years and still contributed. I'm getting almost double the original amount now and it worked for me and was fortunate enough to be able to sock it away in a tax free account. You never know when your time is up.

2 hours ago, SkisNH said:

For dropping off a box? Basically 40.00 per hour plus great benefits.

Sitting here at 8 in the morning, wondering what I am going to do for the rest of the day...

Total spur of the moment yesterday wife suggested we go to Acadia Nation Park.. 240ish mile round trip.

$1,600 a week before taxes and overtime.... all you gotta do is have a work ethic and not think you run the show.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, SkisNH said:

For dropping off a box? Basically 40.00 per hour plus great benefits.

Add in Health insurance which is probably another 10k minimum...especially for a family. And for those who can last 25 to 30 years at UPS, they are well taken care of with a lifetime pension. They don't have to worry about retirement in the least.  How many other jobs present this opportunity?.....and also don't even require a high school diploma.   Accolades for those who have made a career at UPS....they have my utmost respect and admiration.

11 hours ago, Snake said:

Sitting here at 8 in the morning, wondering what I am going to do for the rest of the day...

Total spur of the moment yesterday wife suggested we go to Acadia Nation Park.. 240ish mile round trip.

$1,600 a week before taxes and overtime.... all you gotta do is have a work ethic and not think you run the show.

That's the whole thing holding me back from retiring....I just aint ready for that type of leisure yet....no way. I would go nuts and be suicidal.

Being off 6 months with covid was a reckoning. 

On 10/21/2022 at 8:14 AM, Snake said:

Welcome to retirement…lol

11 minutes ago, smokin george said:

It took me a few months of learning to wind down and not getting up early. I'm on an it"ll get done basis now and never in a rush

I am loving the wake up when I want, start doing shit when I want, and going to bed.... when I want.

If I waste away a whole day doing nothing, GOOD!

2 minutes ago, Snake said:

I am loving the wake up when I want, start doing shit when I want, and going to bed.... when I want.

If I waste away a whole day doing nothing, GOOD!

Yup! We're in a rental at the moment and they have people that cut the grass etc so it gives me more free time lol. I have to cover my pontoon, winterize the motorhome,put some stuff away and with the good weather here not a big rush. The new house won't have any grass and will be easy to look after. 

The new theme for retirement is health, family, finances, purpose.  Get those 4 things dialed in and you'll have a great retirement.  Purpose is the hardest part for most, finding something to pour yourself into, can be anything, travel, learn to play guitar, bust Bens balls on the internet, etc..  :lol: 

Edited by DriftBusta

Normal around the house shit to do, starting to focus on building up the camp. Process of building up the access road with gravel and a couple culverts; get winter wood in, replace solar batteries, and stock the cupboard.

20210530-140520.jpg

Edited by Snake
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, DriftBusta said:

The new theme for retirement is health, family, finances, purpose.  Get those 4 things dialed in and you'll have a great retirement.  Purpose is the hardest part for most, finding something to pour yourself into, can be anything, travel, learn to play guitar, bust Bens balls on the internet, etc..  :lol: 

Yeah....got a good taste of retirement life for 6 months when I was restricted from my job due to covid seizures.......meh, wasn't too impressed. Just bored out of my mind, making me realize I will have to take up a lot of my old hobbies and whatever else to stay busy...I am not one to just sit around.  Will start fishing again...maybe learn golf.  Definitely put a lot more time into firework construction.

PURPOSE is key and I felt like I lost that.......was so happy to go back to work but like the saying goes....when you enjoy your job, it really.isn't work and I admit I have it made working in my immediate area where I grew up, seeing some of my old buddies and going home for lunch everyday

A couple guys I worked with that did retire were dead within a year and one suffered severe depression. 

I can go anytime but just not ready right now...Im thinking maybe in the spring but now 2nd guessing that...lol.  Time just goes too damn fast.

Well, good to see those on here seem.to be enjoying retirement....perhaps I will some day....then again maybe not:lol:

• Like 1

There is a huge difference in being retired and being out on comp/disability.

The best part of retirement is there is no pressure, no little thing in the back of your mind that tells you you are NOT retired and something is out there waiting for you.

There was about a month of anxiety where regardless, my brain didn't accept I wasn't going to work.

• Like 1