Check your account email address ×

2024 Arctic Cat Catalyst 'Chassis' details?

10 minutes ago, jonlafon1 said:

Im shooting for 8000 max on mine

If you're really trying to have a fast one I'd play around with it and test and tune.  Only way to know.  Gunner Arlaud says it likes 8200 and they test I'd probably trust that over a machine but then it really comes down to your sled and your conditions, setup, etc.

Just now, Crnr2Crnr said:

they have Farm & Fleet in Iowa 

so mystic?  

Arctic blue!  has to be good it has "arctic" in the name.. Just saying

• Haha 1

Just now, jonlafon1 said:

Arctic blue!  has to be good it has "arctic" in the name.. Just saying

the correct answer is Klotz

Klotz is always the correct answer 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, mnstang said:

If you're really trying to have a fast one I'd play around with it and test and tune.  Only way to know.  Gunner Arlaud says it likes 8200 and they test I'd probably trust that over a machine but then it really comes down to your sled and your conditions, setup, etc.

When on ice you can get away with running past peak HP since there's a lot less friction.  At a certain point, more RPM equals more speed as long as there's still enough power on tap to overcome the various drag sources.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

either the manual is wrong or the parts catalog is wrong... :dunno:

the spec sheet is wrong, and the parts book is correct, at least with what I've seen in the real world.

As far as what rpm to shoot for, and dyno sheets, take a look at the time.
Short pull = cold pipe = is going to make peak power at a lower rpm

hot pipe = higher rpm for peak power

Its not anything like it used to be before the ecus started using a pipe temp sensor, but it still happens.

Haven't done anything with the catalyst, but every sled in the past used to like coming out a little low on rpm, then slide it up a couple hundred as the run goes on

Edited by krom
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Premium said:

When on ice you can get away with running past peak HP since there's a lot less friction.  At a certain point, more RPM equals more speed as long as there's still enough power on tap to overcome the various drag sources.

Maybe when you're talking about top end speed.  They are racing and need maximum acceleration also and more than anyone.  You could argue they could load it down harder because they are on ice.  The mountain guys are also running over 8k but hey I'm not arguing just throwing stuff out there

The original post was saying he is hitting 8250-8300 with 66 miles on it.. That's to high IMO as it will gain a few RPM with more miles. Hell conditions alone can vary RPM by 300 easy.. If I was to guess Cat is to light in the primary AGAIN.. They have been for years..  Will see as more miles and testing/dyno possibly comes in..

14 minutes ago, mnstang said:

Maybe when you're talking about top end speed.  They are racing and need maximum acceleration also and more than anyone.  You could argue they could load it down harder because they are on ice.  The mountain guys are also running over 8k but hey I'm not arguing just throwing stuff out there

how often are people riding wfo and at max rpm in the real world?  aside from Greg who here has the type of trails to do so on their 600?

real world where I primarily ride is 0-60 most of the time... or you're in the trees or the rhubarb.  very few spots or sections where wot is actually going on.

2 minutes ago, jonlafon1 said:

The original post was saying he is hitting 8250-8300 with 66 miles on it.. That's to high IMO as it will gain a few RPM with more miles. Hell conditions alone can vary RPM by 300 easy.. If I was to guess Cat is to light in the primary AGAIN.. They have been for years..  Will see as more miles and testing/dyno possibly comes in..

This has generally been my experience also.

3 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

how often are people riding wfo and at max rpm in the real world?  aside from Greg who here has the type of trails to do so on their 600?

real world where I primarily ride is 0-60 most of the time... or you're in the trees or the rhubarb.  very few spots or sections where wot is actually going on.

Come up to the UP and see.. 600 can be held over 80+ for miles. I do not ride like that but it can be done easily. With Arctic blue for sure

Edited by jonlafon1

1 minute ago, jonlafon1 said:

Come up to the UP and see.. 600 can be held over 80+ for miles. I do not ride like that but it can be done easily 

I know... but if I cared about that type of riding I'd ride the Mountain Bay railroad bed or out on the lake all day... and if I was doing that I'd be on a bYG b0aR or a tuRb0 sled.   pass... 

:yawn:

1 hour ago, fortune46x said:

8150 is the peak rpm for hp , I was always told to go slightly past peak hp rpm when clutching (I was told 100rpm over).

I ran my last one around that. The difference was it wasn’t at peak until closer top speed and pulled its way up there. Now it’s screaming rpm way too early. I think that big spring is holding it back in the secondary. Gas mileage will probably increase as well with clutch work. 

Edited by Not greg b

2 hours ago, jonlafon1 said:

Come up to the UP and see.. 600 can be held over 80+ for miles. I do not ride like that but it can be done easily. With Arctic blue for sure

Held her down on this trail. Sled actually had about 120 miles on it when I held her down. I road 66 yesterday. I have had it out a few times. 

IMG_3444.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mnstang said:

We also need to consider on the ice races, there are often times 2-3 straightaways that are 1+ miles long.  That is a long pull and a lot to make up if you clutched for 95-100mph and everyone else is running 105+ down the straights.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

I agree but I don't know why you're asking me these things.

2 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

We also need to consider on the ice races, there are often times 2-3 straightaways that are 1+ miles long.  That is a long pull and a lot to make up if you clutched for 95-100mph and everyone else is running 105+ down the straights.

Dang I didn't know that, that's a lot of wide open time!

2 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

They should not be doing that according to Norman county. That is braking the law and sled abuse 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mnstang said:

Dang I didn't know that, that's a lot of wide open time!

1 minute ago, Not greg b said:

They should not be doing that according to Norman county. That is braking the law and sled abuse 

I'm predicting a Pro Open or Soo sled will break 120mph this weekend.

• Like 1