Check your account email address ×

The greediest and whiniest living generation...

42 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

I don't know about that. My father and many of my friends as well always had new vehicles every 3 to 4 yrs on 1 income. We always had new sleds every 2 yrs as well. My father work in a factory unskilled labor.

UPS is screaming for workers right now.

Good wage, full benefits, for part time as well as full time. Just before I got done we had a part timer retire... 4 hours a day and he walked out with a $4k a month pension. Had fully paid health, dental and vision insurance... and was probably pulling in $30 plus an hour.

Anyone with a modicum of drive can make it... it just takes a fucking work ethic that no one seems to have anymore...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

I did the newspaper route

Then onto the farm , bailing hay , planting strawberries, feeding chickens .

My first real job was in 1979 . Construction laborer for $2.25 an hr. 

The next yr I was in fla working on a airforce base runway . Prevailing wage the was $7.25 an hr. prevailing wage for a laborer now is $64

in 1981-2 dad was paying me $5 an hour working for the tree service when I wasn't in school.

• Platinum Contributing Member
7 minutes ago, Snake said:

in 1981-2 dad was paying me $5 an hour working for the tree service when I wasn't in school.

I worked on my grandparents dairy farm. Slinging bales and cowshit. Didn't get paid fuck all but learned good work ethic.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

Is the farm still in the family?

No. Grandparents sold farm and retired to Florida. Grandfather lived till he was 96 and grandmother 99.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Snake said:

I worked nights in a saw mill feeding edgings into a chipper. Was like 13 year old...

I raked blueberries... try that for more than a day.

Was always ready when hay baling time came around...

Picked potatoes....

Oh... not a boomer.

That's awesome Snake, at age 14 I was logging on a small crew in the summers, not many can say they were swinging a chainsaw at the age of 14 till the age of 19. I made $20 a week which my grandparents gave to me as my pay check. When I and my wife were looking at homes we did not have the down payment to buy one, my grandparents sent down a check to us for $27k with a note saying you earned this money we have been putting it away for you from your logging. We did buy our first house with that money.    

• Like 3

2 hours ago, spin_dry said:

As a boomer I never had the bizarre spending habits of the newer versions of Americans. I hear constant whining from these people about shit that they can’t afford. Like this latest inflationary period. The whiny fucks never had to deal with this before. Well guess what….this is fucking life. You all would’ve killed yourselves had you lived through the early eighties. Or worse yet, the early “70’s. 18% home loans, 20% unemployment, and 14% inflation, and 5 block gas lines to fill your car. Fuck you all. Fucking cry babies. 

Agree. 

18 minutes ago, Badger** said:

That's awesome Snake, at age 14 I was logging on a small crew in the summers, not many can say they were swinging a chainsaw at the age of 14 till the age of 19. I made $20 a week which my grandparents gave to me as my pay check. When I and my wife were looking at homes we did not have the down payment to buy one, my grandparents sent down a check to us for $27k with a note saying you earned this money we have been putting it away for you from your logging. We did buy our first house with that money.    

First time I drove anything was when I was like 8 years old and Dad and I were out back of town getting fire wood for the winter. Felling trees, limbing them, 4 footing them and loading on the back of a flat bed 56 Ford. Told me to get behind the wheel and drive out. I was scared I'd fuck something up. He told me if I can drive a loaded truck out of the woods, I could drive anything.

We used to put over 10 cord of wood away a year for us and my grandparents. Working with saws and wood at a very young age was something all the kids in my town were used to.

• Thanks 1

• Gold Member
2 hours ago, Snake said:

Good wage, full benefits, for part time as well as full time. Just before I got done we had a part timer retire... 4 hours a day and he walked out with a $4k a month pension. Had fully paid health, dental and vision insurance... and was probably pulling in $30 plus an hour.

Anyone with a modicum of drive can make it... it just takes a fucking work ethic that no one seems to have anymore...

That is the absolute worst job I’ve ever had the guys that last and move up to drivers or whatever probably went through hell to get there. I was a package handler loading in Hartford hub for a month or two. They work you like a whipped mule for not much pay but I’ll give ya the benefits are good once they let you in the union if you make it that long most didn’t make it a week when I was there. 

5 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Change my mind.

Here's $10,000 or $20,000 just because, would you like some more?? Hang on let me sign another piece of paper and we can bump that amount up even more, lets say $100,000.00 will that be enough or would you like more??  don't worry you'll never have to pay this money back in Your Life Time........ :thumb: beer_cheers.gif.67ceddf3021a3d0eafd1f16301525f6b.gif

1325407309_throwingmoney.gif.a539afebd07900b5630baa0f6186e938.gif

Edited by Jerry 976

5 hours ago, f7ben said:

Boomers are fucking trash and have fucked up everything so bad it will never be fixed. Nice work moron 

Well we dont count the inane ramblings of people on the spectrum such as yourself, so no worries.  

2 hours ago, Snake said:

First time I drove anything was when I was like 8 years old and Dad and I were out back of town getting fire wood for the winter. Felling trees, limbing them, 4 footing them and loading on the back of a flat bed 56 Ford. Told me to get behind the wheel and drive out. I was scared I'd fuck something up. He told me if I can drive a loaded truck out of the woods, I could drive anything.

We used to put over 10 cord of wood away a year for us and my grandparents. Working with saws and wood at a very young age was something all the kids in my town were used to.

Similar story here too.  Up in the county, couldnt have been more than 10, uncle let me steer the farm truck down the potato field paths.  No power steering, big old 50s something farm flatbed that the barrels went on.

Lots of whining in here hard to tell which is the whiniest. But I remember when I would go fishing with my dad and his buds they would tell me that when they were young men they could get a good job anywhere. They didn't care if they got fired because they could just go down the street and get another good job. I don't know maybe it's like that now with so many companies trying to hire more help. 

I know it's hard to hire young people that want to show up everyday and put any kind of effort into a job now. Alot of our guys are retiring or getting close to retirement and we are having a hard time finding young people that want to do the work. Our union membership is at its lowest ever and the pay and benefits are great. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Anler said:

Lots of whining in here hard to tell which is the whiniest. But I remember when I would go fishing with my dad and his buds they would tell me that when they were young men they could get a good job anywhere. They didn't care if they got fired because they could just go down the street and get another good job. I don't know maybe it's like that now with so many companies trying to hire more help. 

I know it's hard to hire young people that want to show up everyday and put any kind of effort into a job now. Alot of our guys are retiring or getting close to retirement and we are having a hard time finding young people that want to do the work. Our union membership is at its lowest ever and the pay and benefits are great. 

If I were smart (which I’m not) I should have  joined the IBEW Apprenticeship Program back in 1991 when I was working for my old man in Detroit…sparkys up here are busy as hell and making good money or I could have stayed down there and I would have 30 years in by now.

Edited by Jimmy Snacks

Just now, Jimmy Snacks said:

If I were smart (which I’m not) I would joined the IBEW Apprenticeship Program back in 1991 when I was working for my old man in Detroit…sparkys up here are busy as hell and making good money.

It's not a bad way to make a living. 

Just now, Anler said:

It's not a bad way to make a living. 

I used to shoot the shit with alot of them and most of them were doing damn good  and the IBEW treated them right. 

2 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

I used to shoot the shit with alot of them and most of them were doing damn good  and the IBEW treated them right. 

Yep. Guys I know that hustle make really good money. And side jobs are lucrative. The IRS will probably put an end to that LOL

4 hours ago, Snake said:

2 hours ago, 800renegaderider said:

That is the absolute worst job I’ve ever had the guys that last and move up to drivers or whatever probably went through hell to get there. I was a package handler loading in Hartford hub for a month or two. They work you like a whipped mule for not much pay but I’ll give ya the benefits are good once they let you in the union if you make it that long most didn’t make it a week when I was there. 

Without knowing how old you are, all I can say is that I put my head down and worked my ass off for 33 years. Possibly because of my upbringing, and doing my time in Army just made work nothing but a thing. I knew after a year of part time I was eligible to drive. I got a bid within 3 months after that year.

I got my last paycheck this week; it was for unpaid time left on the books. $41.40 per hour.

I don't know, but I'd put up with a shit ton of shit to make that as a high school grad. And the awesome bennies (all insurances paid, I was at 6 weeks vacation a year, 5 optionals and 3 sick days) made it a no brainer.

It's hard work, no doubt about it. But my house is mine, my toys are mind, and I'm making a few percentage points above my 40 hour week as a pension.

I regret nothing.

• Like 1