Check your account email address ×

Per Fox News…. Texas installing EV chargers

• Platinum Contributing Member
5 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Spaced out Every 50 miles on main routes and every 70 miles in rural areas per Fox News

https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/texas-unveils-plan-install-hundreds-ev-charging-stations-across-state.amp

Is that because thats your range when it's 102* out and you have the AC on??:lol:

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Bontz said:

Honest question - not trying to be a smartass (or dumbass).  How are those charging stations being powered?  

Each one has a windmill and solar panel mounting on top

22 minutes ago, Bontz said:

Honest question - not trying to be a smartass (or dumbass).  How are those charging stations being powered?  

The most common source is natural gas.

• Thanks 1

Are they orienting them so a truck towing a 30' trailer can use them?  How many at each stop?

The part nobody talks about with recharging is how the slow charge rates of modern EVs suck up charger resources.  Consider an average Costco gas station.  Each car takes about 3 mins to fill up and there are still long lines almost all hours of the day.  If each EV takes 10x as long to charge (30 mins), to get the same "throughput" of people filling up, you'd need 10x the "pumps" or charging stations.  Basically, you'd need an entire Costco parking lot full of charging stations to process what 32 pumps does.

Gas station owners are in the same boat.  The Circle K by my house has 30 pumps and in the morning, each one is occupied the majority of the time.  Imagine the revenue they'd lose if they were charging the same margins to charge an EV as they do to fill a gas tank.  They'd lose their asses.

Edited by Matt
  • Like 3

This has been discussed in LA,  there just isn't enough available or affordable space for massive charging stations....

There will have to be charging stations in most parking lots to meet demand.

Charging stations in work parking lots are convenient + a deciding factor if an EV is right option.  First hand an acquaintances brother opted out of an EV, as all the stations were taken at his Silicon Valley corporate headquarters.  . .

9 minutes ago, Pete said:

All this ev bs is 30 years down the road. Glad I’ll be gone by then 

All the new programs I'll be working on are EV's. Have been for the last couple years actually. 

9 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

All the new programs I'll be working on are EV's. Have been for the last couple years actually. 

Still a very long way to go. It’s unrealistic unreliable and costly as fuck. Main stream Americans are not going to buy this crap. But hey keep shoving it  down out gullets.. 

Edited by Pete

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

Still a very long way to go. It’s unrealistic unreliable and costly as fuck. Main stream Americans are not going to buy this crap. But hey keep shoving it  down out gullets.. 

They are all going in that direction and have been for some time now. Sooner or later we might not have a choice when looking to buy new

24 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

They are all going in that direction and have been for some time now. Sooner or later we might not have a choice when looking to buy new

I’ve been hearing this since the 70s.. ok.. keep trying tho..

Should be left to private industry to take on not put in by the govt.   Let the utility companies put them in on their dime.   The every 50 miles is a significant indictment against the current capabilities of EV's.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pete said:

I’ve been hearing this since the 70s.. ok.. keep trying tho..

Keep your head in the sand and stay angry then. I'm telling you the programs coming out of GM and Ford are moving to EV's

2 hours ago, Skidooski said:

Less than 1% of the 250 million cars on the road are EV.   Its a ways down the road yet. 

18 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Less than 1% of the 250 million cars on the road are EV.   Its a ways down the road yet. 

All I'm saying is most the new programs being developed in advanced design are EV's. Rumors of even postponing the new GM truck program but still work the EV's. The new trend..... It's coming